Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are you saying that if you were given clear medical advice from your GP/gynaecologist that the vaccine was safe and recommended for protecting your baby from COVID, you would disregard it?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sekiro

Are smallpox and polio actually comparable to covid-19 though?

In terms of the risk to children it seems like Covid is not nearly as serious as smallpox would be.

There must be a better like for like comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Why has it taken over ten years for the victims of this to even get a sniff at compensation and only after high court cases. It's one of the reasons why I am very reluctant to give the vaccine to my kids. God forbid something went wrong they would be high and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yes thats exactly what I am saying. There is no way I would take the risk of harming the baby by taking the vaccine.

I have 2 friends who are currently pregnant who have been advised by their medical professionals not to take the vaccine.

I was pregnant myself during the swine flu breakout and I was advised by my GP and midwives not to get the swine flu vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

why ‘note the language’, did you think you’d discovered an anti vaxxer. Sorry to disappoint - I’m fully vaccinated, not out of fear of covid, but to protect society. However i am also still quite unwell 3 weeks after my second dose, no way in hell my kids are having this until there are a few years of data behind it. And yes the vaccine is being pushed when you have restrictions on those who don’t take it. It should be a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not sure if you misread my post, but I wrote:

Are you saying that if you were given clear medical advice from your GP/gynaecologist that the vaccine was safe and recommended for protecting your baby from COVID

...and you've given two examples where you or friends took medical advice to not take a vaccine.

So why would you follow advice not to take one vaccine and yet reject advice to take another vaccine? That sounds a lot like being against vaccination in principle, regardless of medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

I do have loved ones around that age. I also have loved ones aged 0-15.

Right I will be clearer for you. I would not take the vaccine if I were pregnant even if advised to do so by medical professionals who regard it as safe.

I wouldnt take any vaccine during pregnancy - I would not want to risk potentialy damaging the baby in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There has been over 125,000 babies born to vaccinated women in the United States alone, there has not been a single side effect of the vaccine for any of the babies. Getting vaccinated has prevented the death of multiple women and babies from COVID because COVID is orders of magnitude more risky for a pregnant than the vaccines are.

Stop scare mongering and please name the medical professional giving out such stupid advice. The only way it's not stupid advice is if the women involved have a known pre-condition that recommends not vaccinating, the number of women in that group is very small, the chances of you knowing 2 of them is infinitesimal.

COVID is much more damaging for a baby and mother than any vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Latest UK guidance on this, an approach we'll probably follow.

The UK does not plan to vaccinate most children until more data becomes available, the government said today.

But children from aged 12 with severe neuro-disabilities, Down Syndrome, immunosuppression and multiple or severe learning disabilities, will be eligible, as will those who are household contacts of people who are immunosuppressed.

“Today’s advice does not recommend vaccinating under-18s without underlying health conditions at this point in time,” said UK health secretary, Sajid Javid. “But the JCVI will continue to review new data, and consider whether to recommend vaccinating under-18s without underlying health conditions at a future date.’’

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

The central argument that features in many posts is that it is still too early to tell whether the vaccines have any negative effects on children. But surely the same applies to COVID itself, particularly the new Delta variant, which seems much more transmissible among children. How do you know what the long term impact of this nasty virus will be on anyone, including children?

Look Im just giving my opinion. These 125,000 babies born to vaccinated mothers were only born in the last year and probably will not have met all their milestones yet so how can it be said that it is 100% safe and there wont be issues with these children down the line. All they can say at the moment is that they were born and have no visible difficulties. Its not an easy decision for pregnant women to make. I would rather take every other precaution to avoid getting covid during pregnancy rather than take the vaccine.

I have no problem with all other adults taking the vaccine. I have got my first dose myself. I do have concerns however with children and pregnant women getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

So there are two flaws with this argument;

1. The risk of the Covid vaccine in pregnant women is unknown. It's probably very low but it's unknown. However, it IS known that Covid infection increases your chances of a preterm birth, ending up in ICU or even dying. So doing nothing is not necessarily the best protection for your baby.
    2. If you choose not to get vaccinated, you are one of those people who is reliant on herd immunity to avoid infection. As noted above, having 20-25% of your population (i.e. the under 18s) excluded from vaccination greatly undermines the effectiveness of herd immunity.

There's no free lunch here. The more people who decline to be vaccinated, the more issues we'll have. If you fixate on the safety of vaccines, you're increasing the risk from Covid.

I presume "take every precaution" means not being seen by health professionals during the pregnancy? as they will have been vaccinated and could be asymptomatic carriers.

Of course I would be seen by health professionals. I would take the small risk of getting covid from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As potential asymptomatic carriers, they should be masked, and so have very little chance of axtuallt transmitting Covid.

1. I know there are risks to the mother and baby if the mother catches covid during pregnancy but I think you are agreed that the affects of the vaccine on a developing baby are also unknown. It is a real tough decision to make for pregnant women and their partners. It is one that could have long term consequences either way.
    2. Most women though would get vaccinated after their pregnancy - they are just delaying getting the vaccine.

There is no doubt its not an easy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Me and the OH gladly took the vaccine, now both vaccinated.

Will I be giving it to our kids, simple answer no.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Yes, smallpox and polio are comparable. Ireland is a bit behind, the US is, once again, at the forefront: in Tennessee, the antivax based government wants to stop all vaccinations, including things like polio and smallpox, for children.

For the conspiracists, 'vaccine' is just that - no difference between polio, smallpox, mRNA, vector, protein based. Science is irrelevant.

The 'Covid vaccines may do more harm than good' narrative is a conspiracy theory, nothing else. Globally, there have been over 4 million deaths from Covid. To claim that deaths from vaccinations could be anywhere near as bad - which is factually what the conspiracists claim - is insane, completely removed from reality. And that's only considering deaths, not other harm, like long Covid in children.

Vaccinations have become completely politicised, to a degree where being 'concerned' about children is, in most cases, nothing more than a pretence for an antivax narrative by conspiracists.

And genuine, natural concern for children in parents is exploited by conspiracists, to create fear and doubt, attract attention, and give a soft start for buying into their insane nonsense.

• Advertisement

You mean the drug that is probably coming back to market after further assessment per the normal process found benefits exceed risk in some circumstances. The system behaving as intended. If studies waited until all potential risks were studied and eliminated nothing new would be developed ever.

And prolonged use over a considerable period of time is quite different to two doses of a substance that disappears completely from the body.

No I said the trials were completed at the pace the presence of subjects enabled. No vaccine I am aware of has ever had an effect that only became apparent 2 years after taking it. The active ingredients trigger immune response and disappear. What you are pushing is alarmist and based on at best a superficial understanding of the clinical trial process and the mechanism of vaccine operation. All the drugs getting cited as examples to warm against vaccine use either involved use over a period of time, which is not the case in vaccines, or presented quickly after inoculation in the case of vaccines. If the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks in children they will be approved. There will be no time bomb ticking where the vaccine causes an issue two years down the road as it will be long gong

That is absolute blatant hysteria designed to misinform deliberately. Care to guess the rate of myocarditis in young male athletes following COVID-19 infection?

Common sense? Non sense more like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes I would be happy for my child to get a vaccine, he's 7 though so I'm not holding out on it happening before Christmas and then there's the question of should we instead use our supply as boosters for the vulnerable instead

In think this thread should be renamed the “I’m not anti vaccine but” thread.

With abundant misrepresentation and a sprinkling of wilful ignorance

Just to clarify I am not 'pushing' anything - I am just stating my opinion. We are all entitled to our opinions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A friend died of flu , 7 months pregnant. I certainly would take any vaccine and be delighted to get it .

Being entitled to an opinion does not also entitle one to avoid having that opinion challenged as baseless nonsense when that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Also re pregnancy not all go smoothly and it’s quite possible to have an extended stay in hospital where it’s demonstrably easy to pick up covid.

Everyone’s a bloody expert these days. I’ll leave it up to the actual people who know what they are talking about and follow their recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

For the record I don’t have to make this decision, my daughter is now old enough to make it for herself.

But yes I think I would be happy for her to be vaccinated if I had to make that call on her behalf.

Vaccines have been around for many years and the vast majority of them cause very few complications. She was vaccinated with all the standard jabs from a very early age as advised by medical professionals. I didn’t overthink it then and I probably wouldn’t now.

We expose our children to far greater risks on a daily basis than an approved vaccine could ever present

Advertisement