Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We beat them well in the Park a couple of years ago, any Munster championship game is a meaningful game even if it is a dead rubber. It's the best draw for us to see our development, we went into the year 4th or 5th in Munster, we're clearly better than Waterford, on a par (at least) with Tipp and now we play Cork. I assume the game will be on in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

It’s going to be an intriguing tie. You’d have to think with Cork playing their very short brand hurling, our workrate and energy will need to be top class again. Players like Malone, Reidy, Taylor will be needed for big games again, hopefully the Wexford game didn’t take too much out of us. Malone for example put in an enormous shift over weekend will likely be tracking Fitzgibbon.

I have some concerns now about our strength in depth. David Fitzgerald was dropped off the panel completely last weekend and it really stretches us thin now. I imagine Davy Mc surely will start on Saturday. Rodgers is a good impact sub. Browne did well infairness too, but bringing him in midfield (first time I’d say he ever played there) sort of highlights that lack of options for Lohan.

This is a very 50/50 game you’d think. In some of the big clashes against Cork in recent years, Pat Horgan always seemed to be the guy that came up trumps. He had a bad game versus Limerick but obviously we will need to account for him. Cork have really pacey corner backs, I imagine one will track Kelly. But both O’Mahony and Cadogan are vulnerable on the turn, where we have Taylor and McCarthy who are real speedsters. Shanagher on Cahalane will be a real battle.

We play Cork in the Gaelic Grounds at 4.30pm Saturday.

The Galway V Waterford game is on at 2pm in Thurles. Makes sense geographically. I was hoping for the earlier time as there are other sport on that evening. But still nonetheless a great afternoon to look forward to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

And It wasn't a dead rubber. If limerick had fielded a full team and beat tipperary the same day/time then we'd have been in the Munster final after that victory. We can certainly win on Saturday.

Clare competing well in the opening quarter of the u20 game, especially considering they’re missing the 3 lads and the strength of Limerick’s team. Backs and midfielders hurling well so far and a good overall attitude. Hopefully they can keep in up and have a chance to win the game.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Limerick just blew past us there in the 2nd quarter and carry a 0-13 to 0-6 lead at half-time. Clare forwards are really struggling and are reliant on frees. Cant see us winning this.

1-27 to 0-16. The lads tried hard. But same story again.

I don’t what to say about the end of the game. But our goalie having to jump over the hoarding and get loose sliotars in the terrace for puckouts.. can things get any more mortifying for us in Clare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not having a bag of balls in the goal is a disgrace. 14 point defeat not surprising unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

What a joke, could one of the spare mentors not go down to him and ask for a Stewart to go down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Thought it was a total disgrace and plenty of stewards (paid) sitting on their respective holes in the Mackey Stand.!! Why were ye without 3 players BTW.? Have they played senior?

It was very bizzare, Broderick was looking at the sideline alright, I don't know did they just run out of sliotars or something.

Yeah, Clare would have 4 senior panelists, but just the captain Donnellan was available. Rodgers is unavailable because of (BS) senior rule. Shane Meehan had wrist surgery there about a month ago. Cian Galvin got injured recently, not sure what he picked up.

Those 3 would have made is closer, but Limerick are the better team either way as it was in the mid third where Limerick were well on top and dominating physically and athletically. Limerick have some outrageous talents coming through in Coughlan, O'Niell and obviously English. Very envious.

I wouldn't blame the stewards at all, home advantage and all that, if Clare weren't clued in enough to have spare balls in the goal why should Limerick help them? Also, why did the goalie have to go get the sliothar, could they not have pucked a few into him as happens and almost every game. Total farce in my opinion and shows the level of management we have, no detail planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Patchin

A shambles is what it was

I'm hearing that SoD returned to training this week, just light running but he's back and doing the return to play protocols which is great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Any news on the ticket situation? Anyone get an email?

1 official I was talking to said that anyone who got tickets through the clubs are to be prioritized and then the rest to be raffled, they couldn't sell their tickets last week and they went on general sale which isn't a great look for clubs or Club Clare

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Highly unlikely tickets will be made available to general public at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Thanks lad, just got my pod there. Looking forward to this game now! Weather is promised dry.

• Advertisement

As delighted as I am to get tickets, it was completely farcical the way the tickets were distributed. Seems like people who had their orders through the clubs didn’t get prioritized, and that the whole 3.5k when on general sale tonight without any notice. Alot of people were at training sessions and missed the 8pm sale. Club members should always be given priority first imo, as they are the ones who pay membership and do the work at grassroots level. Actually this whole week was a mess. For the most part, nobody knew about crowd size, ticket allocation or distribution. Very poor organisation altogether.

The tickets didn't last long, what I'm hearing is that Pat Fitz just put in an order for the tickets that were bought last week through the county board, he was offered more but declined the offer and then those tickets went on general sale. There's 3,500 due in the ground I understand, Clare took 500 tickets, the GAA took 500, Cork too 1,500 and 1,000 went on general sale.

This the type of pettiness that we're dealing with but if we call it out we're bullies. Every club in the county could have sold the 1,500 tickets available, Club Clare on it's own could fill the Gaelic Ground but because of the Don holding the reigns this is what happens and the response from the Fitz camp will be "we gave ye what ye wanted, what more did ye want?"

Do ye remember the jibe "be careful or we'll turn out like Offaly", well their provincial under 20 champions and we just won our first game in 5 (open to correction on that) years

Offaly sink Dubs to claim sweet Leinster Under-20 title (rte.ie)

Wouldn't it be lovely to have Offaly's up and coming and our seniors..................

Our last under 20 campaigns according to wikipedia

2015 Lost final by 3 points

2016 18

2017 13

2018 14

2019 8

2020 10

2021 13

Now I know good minors don't make good seniors, but in Clare they tend to, we've appeared in 2 minor finals since 2013, 1 lost by 17 points the other lost by 6. I've gone to a lot of Clare Cup games this year and the difference between normal senior hurlers and those recently dropped down is HUGE, we need to do something to bring up the general level of skill for all rather than cherry pick the best players, Barefield and Eire Og are going to win every underage title in Clare because of the way things are setup at the moment in my opinion. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

That ticket situation was appalling. Not giving club members first option is not good enough.

Apologies to anyone who had submitted ticket orders for Clare v Cork as per instructions earlier in the week. The club has not had any communication from the County board or Croke Park and are as much in the dark as everyone else. It looks like Croke park took the decision to release tickets on GENERAL sale last night without any prior warning instead of issuing links to the email addresses submitted to GAA HQ on Tuesday morning, a system which had worked very well for Clare V Wexford. Obviously it’s very disappointing and there are a lot of disgruntled fans in County Clare today. If we do receive anything in the next while we’ll forward it on but chances are slim to say the least.

From the club

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shortstop12

The ticket fiasco is an absolute farce, they had more to sell online this evening yet the club's still got none!!! Don't know which is worse the fact the regular supporter gets a kiss my a*se, the limited capacity in an open air arena or the match is only viewable on Sky..

Pat Fitz taking a civil case against alleged harassment is the cherry on the cake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What's the story with his harassment case, who exactly is it against? An individual? Or a website/blog or something ?

I haven't seen a team named yet for tomorrow.

Possible changes from the last day might be D.McInerney or potentially even Rogers starting. Paidi Fitz's place could be under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

A lot depends who Lohan needs to pick up on a direct marking job. David Mc should be starting, but,, he did great work and had the energy in the last quarter after coming on as a sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

Same team as last weeek

Advertisement