Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

Never understand the if only it wasn’t plugged, if it wasn’t on the etc. Sport and Golf in particular is cruel and it’s about limiting the cruelty and making the most of it and not talking about “if only”s which seems to be the narrative for Mcilroy. He’s just not as good as the very best. Is that so hard to accept? I’m growing tired of the attention and airtime given to him, why? Because it is not deserved and there are other players far superior that don’t get the same airtime. He’s made a ton of cash so I couldn’t give a fiddlers and I’m sure he couldn’t either. He also seems like a very opinionated and divisive figure who in my mind is very unpleasant, hypocritical and self serving,

Is this trolling? Is this a Mcilroy fan club thread only?

Who are the players that are “far” superior that deserve more attention ? Interested to know

Not too many players have four majors and as many pga wins under their belts , as he does . This is mostly the reason he gets as much attention as he does .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

rooney30 wrote: »
    . This is mostly the reason he gets as much attention as he does .

That, and the impending calamity that never seems to be far away, his brilliance and doom is equally deserving of attention because of his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just as a general comment about the US open. Despite the stellar leaderboard on Sunday and as content as I was to see Rahm win, jeez I found it a very boring Major Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

lawred2 wrote: »
    Just as a general comment about the US open. Despite the stellar leaderboard on Sunday and as content as I was to see Rahm win, jeez I found it a very boring Major Sunday

Stop following golf so. You’re wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭srfc d16

lawred2 wrote: »

It's not a great course really. There wasn't a huge amount of jeopardy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory on the move at the Irish open

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Bad 3 putt when going for eagle there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rikand wrote: »
    Bad 3 putt when going for eagle there

Yeah but from 56 feet it's 3 putt territory.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I see Rory was in Portmarnock today getting some links practice in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yeah but from 56 feet it's 3 putt territory.

Went to get a coffee after he left the first one 8 foot or so short and half expected him to miss it. That was to go 5 under through 10 and when he missed it it took all the wind out of his sails.

He's still a bit too dependent on momentum and small setbacks seem to stop him more than they should. Just like the 3 putt in the US Open did as well.

He's a pretty imperious golfer all the same and when not quite on it, he's still a joy to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Bad start fir Rory. In a battle to make cut now

It should make all of us hackers feel better really. Rory McIlroy with all his talent, money, resources and new coach still isn't able to figure out how to hit short irons. And he's back to missing the hole on some of his short putts. He either cant read a green or cant start a putt on his intended line.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

and then keeps coming out with this same aul muck ‘I could have been seven under’- Rory McIlroy bemoans lack of sharpness as rollercoaster continues at The Open

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Rory needs to shoot lower scores in the majors if he's to stand a chance of winning one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭hawley

"I’m not a very patriotic guy, I’m doing it because I think it is the right thing to do.

For golf to be an Olympic sport you need your best players there and I feel I want to represent the game of golf more than anything else."

I've nothing against Rory but it almost seems like he's apologizing to his friends in Northern Ireland for representing us in the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

His PR in terms of the Olympics has been dreadful from day 1. Needs to be better advised in terms of what he says about the subject.

In any event the "golf needs me" nonsense doesn't wash. Does the tournament really need a guy who hasn't won a major for close to a decade? It went fine without him last time. But by all accounts Rose gained a lot financially from endorsements as a result of his win, so a lot more of the top players are turning up this time around to see if they can do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

He's a massive draw on the PGA Tour, and worldwide. There's no denying that. Traditionally that has been translated into "golf needs player". He's one of the poster boys of the sport, like it or not, merited or not.

Rory has star power, lots on here don't want to acknowledge that or are somehow bizarrely offended by it.

He's always been more comfortable in America, both on and off the course and who could blame him really.

Unless you've had his experiences how could you know how you'd feel and don't kid yourself his experiences are unique, not just how he grew up but the consequent scrutiny on that and every other aspect of his life from a young age.

He doesn't always say what I want to hear but why should he, he's earned the right to be his own man and believe and say whatever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭hawley

There's difference in how he behaves with regard to Ireland. It's like he feels like he has to apologize for representing us in the Olympics. He has always been very patriotic in supporting NI in football and the Irish rugby team. He shouldn't be part of our Olympic team if he feels embarrassed by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

He is there to represent golf because the other best players weren't turning up???

That'll create a frosty atmosphere in the locker room.

He's right though, if the top players aren't showing up for their countries then golf at the Olympics won't survive past 24.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭bmc58

Rory is finished as a Major contender.Too many flaws in his game over the past couple of years.Missing greens with wedges from 100 to 130 yards and regulary missing puts from four to six feet will not win another major for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just when I thought boards had gone a stale since the new platform was launched, this piqued my interest.

I'm not sure who you think is offended his "star power", more likely that some do not share the same opinion as you, nor hold him in such lofty regard. But that ia the essence of discussion forums, not everyone has the same opinion, thankfully..

Can you really complain about the scrutiny a "star" gets? Surely having star power is synonymous with public interest, its hard to be a star when no one is interested in what you are doing, for elite sportspeople who use their profile to market products and make money, media attention is a must.

I do agree that he has the right to say what he wants, but he should not be surprised, nor in deed should you, if not everything he says is well received. Again, I think this is another PR misstep, but I suppose it deflects a bit of attention from the latest failure to launch on course.

I think some are a little offended by a perceived arrogance or cockiness, it's not something we generally like very much in Ireland. Personally I like when his chest gets puffed up and his stride quickens, unfortunately not happening as much lately, I'll give you, but I think Rory in full flight is the best sight in golf currently.

I think the value of his endorsements and the size of his appearance fees are the greatest objective measure of his star power. While not personally privy to that information I'd be surprised if they weren't the biggest in the sport (not counting Tiger obviously).

I suppose what I generally don't get is why Rory upsets people (generally Irish) so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭deaglan1

Is there any other Olympian who would say that they are not really pushed about representing their country? If your heart ain't in it, and you really don't feel sufficient empathy for the country that has chosen you to complete, then do the dignified thing and bow out. Personally, I would much prefer to see a committed competitor who embraces the Olympic stage than somebody who appears to be sufficiently indifferent to the spirit of the Olympics and sees the event as mere target practice.

Rory is no longer Rory.

He's just a pro looking for his game like the majority of the others on tour. He's throwing away his talent with bad decisions on and off the course.

The rest of the pack have caught up length wise and he has become less accurate. He is changing everything (full swing) to fix one thing (short irons) and time is running out for him.

I hope he goes back to Bannon before its too late. Id love to see him get the Masters win because I think he was a once in a generational talent.

I do agree that the Olympics is about representing your country. It's not an individual even even if it is if you know what I mean and to play in it and not really want to represent your country is certainly a rather unique occurance although less so lately with more nationless athletes, maybe he could've played under that banner (only slightly joking)!

This is one stance and opinion I'm not in agreement with Rory on, but I don't have any animosity towards him because of it. His situation is somewhat unique and it's a real Solomon's choice situation for him.

I don't envy his situation in all this and whatever way he thinks is best to deal with it all, who am I to say different.

He's still with Bannon though just Bannon isn't travelling with Covid. Not sure i'd agree with throwing away his talent, he's no more talented than a Morikawa, JT, DJ or Rahm, they're all extremely talented. He's already won so much, will be a long time before we see anyone come from this island be as successful.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

As a Rory fan, he has been hugely disappointing and frustrating over the last number of years especially in the majors.

i think the last 3 majors were really annoying especially. As he said himself; he is getting the birdies but just making too many stupid mistakes. That second round at the Open was a perfect example.

he has big questions to ask of himself as going by his press conferences lately he seems very content with his life on and off the course. It’s like his full motivation is gone. I kinda feel that if he was really fully on he wouldn’t have his friend as his caddy as an example. He just wants to feel comfortable and happy in life and let’s face it that’s all everybody wants.

I just hope he finds some serious motivation again and can win a few more majors anyway. At the end of the day Phil Mickelson won his first major at 34 years of age.

Advertisement