Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone understand the rules for visitors from the UK, in particular for kids?

• 03-07-2021 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/
    says
    • all arriving passengers from Great Britain are required by law to quarantine at home for 14 days
    • if you travel from Great Britain, the 14-day period of home quarantine can be shortened if you receive a not-detected RT-PCR test result from this test taken at least 5 days after arrival

Advice for those arriving from Great Britain (including those travelling from Great Britain via Northern Ireland) who are not fully vaccinated
    • If you are not fully vaccinated, you are advised to take a further RT-PCR test at least 10 days after arrival in Ireland. You are requested to stay in quarantine until you get a ‘not detected’ RT-PCR test result from this day 10 test.

As we are travelling with 2 un-vaccinated teens, I can only assume that means we would all have to quarantine for 10 days plus probably 2 more waiting for our test results.

Does anyone know if this is the correct interpretation?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

john9876 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is the correct interpretation?
    Actually I don't think it is.

The section on unvaccinated travellers is only advice.

So the way I read it, you must only do 5 days + PCR test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭smallgarden

My understanding
    All passengers must home quarantine for 14 days regardless if they are vaccinated or not

"all arriving passengers from Great Britain are required by law to quarantine at home for 14 days"

If vaccinated you can get a free pcr test after day 5 and if negative shorten the quarantine above

If unvaccinated you have to get one after 10 days and if negative then can leave home quarantine.

Keeping in mind the number of recent Delta outbreaks from travellers from Britain in Ireland I hope they're enforcing these rules.

From citizens information.ie
    If you have been fully vaccinated and you have the documents to prove this, you do not have to quarantine at a designated hotel. This also applies to dependents who are travelling with you, including:

Children under 18

So you would follow the guidance for vaccinated which is home quarantine and pcr test minimum 5 days after arrival. Not sure if kids would need to be tested as well. I'd say if you contact citizens information they'll help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Lumen wrote: »
    Actually I don't think it is.

The section on unvaccinated travellers is only advice.

So the way I read it, you must only do 5 days + PCR test.

Thanks Lumen.
    I hadn't thought of it like that. It makes sense and might make it possible to travel after all even though we'd be quarantining for a week.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get results from a PCR test in Ireland at the moment?
    I don't know if it's the same time for visitors to Ireland as it is for people living in Ireland?
    I'd be doing my test in Tralee if that makes any difference.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get results from a PCR test in Ireland at the moment?
    I don't know if it's the same time for visitors to Ireland as it is for people living in Ireland?

It was about a day or so but think this has increased due to an increase in testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

After the 19th, is the general thinking that the quarantine for those from the UK who are fully vaccinated will be lifted, or will that 5-day thing likely to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

After the 19th, is the general thinking that the quarantine for those from the UK who are fully vaccinated will be lifted, or will that 5-day thing likely to stay?

Officials raise possibility of post-July 19th travel constraints with Britain
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/officials-raise-possibility-of-post-july-19th-travel-constraints-with-britain-1.4606100

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hogans7

While in the quarantine period can you go to a shop for food?

Hogans7 wrote: »
    While in the quarantine period can you go to a shop for food?

No, you shouldn't. You should order online. Tesco and SuperValu have online delivery. They also do collection if you can't get a slot but in store collection should be avoided. Some have external collection points. Aldi do collection in some stores, deliveroo deliver Aldi and buyme app for Dunnes delivery so no reason to go shop for food. The reason you're quarantining is in case you have covid and to minimise the spread so popping to the shops negates this.

"During home quarantine, you can only leave your home for limited reasons including:

For a health or welfare emergency
    To get a COVID-19 test after your arrival
    To leave Ireland"

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/travel_to_ireland_during_covid.html#
    Says
    You may only leave your place of residence during your quarantine period in very limited circumstances, such as:

For unavoidable reasons of an emergency nature
    To protect a person’s health or welfare
    To leave the State
    To get a COVID-19 test at least 5 days after your arrival

• Advertisement

Just curious if checks are actually done on people who are quarantining at home.
    We will be staying on the family farm ( but nobody else in the house). Ideally we'd like to go for walks on the farm including climbing a mountain which is part of the farm.
    Is that allowed or is there even a remote chance people will do spot checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nobody is paying a blind bit of notice to this from what i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This crowd offer PCR Tests for €69 with a 24 hour turnaround and multiple locations in the country, there are similar operations available all over some more expensive and with faster results. All of which are acceptable for travel.

https://booking.randox.ie/

Inquitus wrote: »
    This crowd offer PCR Tests for €69 with a 24 hour turnaround and multiple locations in the country, there are similar operations available all over some more expensive and with faster results. All of which are acceptable for travel.

https://booking.randox.ie/

He's entitled to the free ones which can come back within 24hours, but can take longer. Assume he's talking about the ones after 5 days post arrival.

Yes, I'm talking about the free ones more than 5 days after arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Unvaccinated is 10 days

Unvaccinated is 10 days

The 10 days section is advice and not compulsory, I believe.
    My wife and I are vaccinated but our kids are not.

The 10 days section is advice and not compulsory, I believe.
    My wife and I are vaccinated but our kids are not.

If you contact the requisite offices they will inform you 10 days.

We had family travel and they did this and were told it was actually 10 days.

You can try and use a potential typo to confuse - 1 call tomorrow will clarify.

Not sure what number they called mind you, assume its on the site somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭acequion

Hi Op. I recently travelled back from an EU country and I underwent 5 days quarantine. I had booked the free HSE PCR in Tralee for day 5. I did the test at 3pm on a Friday and did not get my result until 7am on the Sunday, some 40 hours later.

During the 5 days I just got texts from the HSE to remind me that I was doing quarantine [as if I'd forget!] and one text with a link to confirm that I was still at the same address. That was all. No inspections or spot checks. I think common sense dictates how much you can do while in quarantine and everyone has to adapt to their own situation but I certainly think that walking and exercising around your own farm, out in the fresh air and mixing with nobody, is perfectly acceptable.

If you contact the requisite offices they will inform you 10 days.

We had family travel and they did this and were told it was actually 10 days.

You can try and use a potential typo to confuse - 1 call tomorrow will clarify.

Not sure what number they called mind you, assume its on the site somewhere.

Thanks. If you could find me the number that would be appreciated.

Mind you, the rules may change between now and the end of the month anyway which makes it so hard to plan anything.

• Advertisement

Thanks. If you could find me the number that would be appreciated.

Mind you, the rules may change between now and the end of the month anyway which makes it so hard to plan anything.

Will see if I can get hold of it, I'd say end of month may be very different from now to be fair.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So rules from today are that vaccinated/recovered just need to show proof of that. Those not vaccinated/recovered, including children aged 12-17 need to have a negative PCR test no more than 72 hours before arrival in Ireland. Under 18s do not have to quarantine unless they accompany an adult who has not been vaccinated/not recovered.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/77952-government-advice-on-international-travel/#travelling-with-children

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Jesus the absolute state of this site now...

Quoting Beasty there- I fly to England on Thursday, had my vaccine yesterday (one Pfizer) I had Covid in May and recovered obviously, of course the call centre won't pick up to let me get the EU Cert.

England treats Irish travellers as British for admission purposes, regardless of status. I take it on the way home my text message from the HSE in May and my vaccine card from yesterday is proof enough in Dublin Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Flying to England you should be fine. You might want to check your vaccination status if you got Pfizer, as do you not need two shots to be fully vaccinated? Unless the cert can confirm you had Covid-19 so will have antibodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Is there not a certain period of days one has to wait after they have been vaccinated? I thought it was 7 days for Pfizer, 14 for the rest?

Advertisement