Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaella McCollum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

pgj2015 wrote: »
    she was in Ibiza where everyone is doing coke, ecstasy etc so she probably though so what if i smuggle some coke back to europe. shes not some heinous criminal, she tried to smuggle some drugs, not heroin by the way, coke which a huge percentage of normal Irish people are snorting up their nose every weekend, big deal.

Actually that's exactly what she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BBC One have a 5 part documentary on her Monday night at 10:35pm...
    https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1410484329898258432

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Holy sh1t. That was almost 8 years ago!

M

Watched it all tonight, no football on :o, reasonable watch.
    Worst about it is that it's purely from Michaella's point of view, no input whatsoever from Melissa Reid as to what went on. Some contributions from people who knew her in Ibiza and in prison in Peru. I don't know how she transformed her looks from prison to current day, doesn't look like the same person from the initial press coverage. She bribes her way to get an early court case and leaves Melissa behind.

I still think they were set up to get caught and other people were on the same flight carrying more properly concealed drugs, the drugs in the porridge packaging just wouldn't add up if casually checked. That said they also got in to it for financial gain from the outset so deserved the outcome. Her hair was never a good idea either, could have hiiden a kilo there on its own :D.

First 2 episodes had decent tunes and scenery, made me really miss a mad sun holiday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Why is this dirty rat druggy criminal still even discussed.

She is what she is. And a sad little liar to boot.

Should have left her in the south American jail where she belonged. Would be a lesson for any other dopes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Watched it all tonight, no football on :o, reasonable watch.
    Worst about it is that it's purely from Michaella's point of view, no input whatsoever from Melissa Reid as to what went on. Some contributions from people who knew her in Ibiza and in prison in Peru. I don't know how she transformed her looks from prison to current day, doesn't look like the same person from the initial press coverage. She bribes her way to get an early court case and leaves Melissa behind.

I still think they were set up to get caught and other people were on the same flight carrying more properly concealed drugs, the drugs in the porridge packaging just wouldn't add up if casually checked. That said they also got in to it for financial gain from the outset so deserved the outcome. Her hair was never a good idea either, could have hiiden a kilo there on its own :D.

First 2 episodes had decent tunes and scenery, made me really miss a mad sun holiday :D
    Is the Reid girl still in contact with her?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oppee

I've often wondered this myself. How is one still parading the fact that her actions were idiotic while the other has kept her head down? As nosey as I am I sincerely hope she is doing okay considering

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Cause she wants to be famous. The other one probably just wants to get on with her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

She tried to smuggle a substance people enjoy using, nobody tricks or forces u to take coke. A lot of very talented legends have used it. I don't see anything wrong in what she attempted. I see a lot of wrong in the War on Drugs and the inaccurate opinions and outright lies of the supporters of such a failed, expensive and ineffective policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Just because you don't agree with the laws, doesn't mean you don't have to follow them.

Take coke at the weekend if you like. But try smuggling a load of it across the world and you are taking a really stupid risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Any opinion about the people who used her as a drug mule and didn't have to go to jail?

She's done her time, paid the price for it. Debt to society is paid, not enough for you?

M

It's the farce forced drugs courier story she presented with initially and the fools made of people up north raising money for her that leaves the sour taste amongst people.

The Suffragettes broke the law laws/rules to get women the vote, people from the South smuggled contraceptives from the UK when it was banned in the South. I have broken the drug laws by using (not selling) banned substances.

Some countries like Thailand have the death penalty for drug trafficking, but I know from personal experience people still buy and sell drugs in that country. Can u or anybody else give me ONE good reason why cocaine is and should remain illegal.

M

It would be more productive to take off limbs and release the convicted smugglers in to society to leave them to explain to the locals why their right hand is no more when they are in the bar trying to order a round of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That's what I love about TV shows like "Murder she wrote". Angela Lansbury shows up and 45 minutes later, the murderer is caught, admits their guilt, and explains it all.

That's how real criminals do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

this particular lady gets far too much abuse from what i can see , she committed a crime and did the time , she attempted to become a reality star but its not like trashy characters never tried that before

the guy who broke that british bank back in the nineties used to show up now and again for a while , he certainly milked it

I doubt that would stop it either. Did u ever hear of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, they took illegal drugs and did ok. Kate Moss was photographed having a snort, Nigella Lawson admitted taking it, so did Rod Stewart and Robbie Williams. Noel and Liam Gallagher wrote and sang about it. Traces of cocaine were discovered in a pipe found in Wiliam Shakespeare's home. So yes, cocaine totally ruins lives, I sarcastically agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Go take a look at any crack addict and you'll see why it should remain illegal.

Has prohibition prevented the existence of that drug. In the last 5 years the HSE has given 50,000 crack pipes to addicts, so just like heroin which is practically legal via the methadone scheme, injection centres coming soon, addicts can get a clean needle in Merchants Quay, some countries give actual heroin to addicts, the legalisation of that drug has started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

The people who used her as a drug mule are scum. However that doesn’t excuse her for her crime. She served a small portion of her jail sentence and is now looking to profit from her crime with her book and tv appearances. I don’t call that paying her debt to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

In fairness at this stage people have more of an issue with the fact that she's a lying, fame hungry, attention seeking sh!tbag who's being given an inordinate amount of media time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

If it was legal would your hypotheticl crack addict be any worse off?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,486 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Also in fairness, she got a lot of adverse media and online attention from Day One. She wasn't the first or last drug mule. I've never met her so I can't call her what u did an A.S.S. but personally I hope she profits from her experience. Didn't Eddie the Eagle do well and he was a terrible skier or so I'm told. I like her, I'm not sure why, 'cos she wasn't even a good mule.

What have u got against drug smugglers/dealers, they only exist 'cos people enjoy using what they sell/smuggle. Why do drug dealers usually get a harsher sentence than burglars, nobody consents to have their homes robbed but people DO consent to buy and use drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

as stupid arguments go that is pretty **** stupid.

Please explain in Plain English why it's stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Honestly it wouldn't be worth the effort. The damage done to irish society by drug dealers and smugglers is immense. Long prison sentences for all of them.

Advertisement