Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Panamera Diesel vs E-Hybrid

• 16-07-2021 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting a Mk1 Panamera in the not too distant future as I need a comfortable motorway cruiser (I can put up with the big arse 😂).

Commute will be once a week 150km each way. Outside of that a bit of local driving, but we'll have my wife's car too so it won't necessarily be doing lots of short spins.

I had been thinking of going electric with a Model S 85 or 90D, but they're a bit pricey, and as we're going to be moving to rental accommodation temporarily charging would be an issue.

I love the idea of the hybrid in that it's a 3.0 supercharged V6 but it's reasonably economical. However I'm not sure it's the sensible choice. Given the weekly commute is mostly motorway miles, I suspect the hybrid would be thirsty and end up carrying the extra weight of the batteries rather than getting any good use out of them. On the flip side it would probably come in to it's own on the shorter trips outside of that commute.

I've also read reviews that say the Mk1 E-Hybrid is not as nimble in the corners as the other variants of the time and that the brake feel takes a bit of getting used to.

So, as much as I'm not a big fan of diesels, apparently the Panamera V6 D is a beaut and if I'm honest is probably the better car for my circumstances. I do worry a little about the potential depreciation of the diesel, as a fuel it will probably fall more out of favour in the coming years.

I'd love some input from anyone who's got experience of using any kind of hybrid for long distance cruising. If it's experience with a bigger thirstier engine, great, if it's with the Porsche specifically even better!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Any big PHEV is going to drink petrol for your use. I've had experience of the likes of Volvo XC90, latest Kia Sorento etc and a few others.

If you want decent motorway economy, diesel or electric is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Thanks Galvo, was hoping for someone to convince me otherwise but I'd say you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

On the motorway, the weight of batteries makes hardly any difference to economy. You're adding say 10% to rolling resistance, which is already only about 20% of total resistance - so 2% extra.

Around town they come into their own in both smoothness and economy.

I drive a 330e on a 400km round trip once a week, and it's not much worse than a diesel. I've just done 5.8l/100km Dublin - Galway without trying. Around town, my fuel costs are half that of a non-PHEV and would be a quarter of I had a night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

That's great info, thanks. The Panamera is undoubtedly thirstier than the 330E being heavier and having a 2.9l engine vs the 2.0l in the BMW. Having said that, the motorway journey is going to be once a week max, maybe only every 10 days. So I need to consider the benefits of the hybrid all the other times I'll be driving.

I'm currently still favouring the diesel slightly, simply because I think the 971 Panamera hybrid from 2017 on is supposed to be a vast improvement on the earlier model in almost every way. So it might make more sense to get the diesel I can afford now and upgrade to a post 2017 hybrid in a few years when they come into my price range.

I think though a lot of it will come down to what's on the market in a month or so when it comes time to buy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement