Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's reporting on the https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations page for me anyway. 27C for 14:00

The rain gauge is down, so for some reason the whole pictogram/graph section doesn't show, but the other data is there in the list of station reports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Newport teasing us by dropping to 28 at 1500.

Athenry looks to be back reporting - 28 as well. Mt. Dillon now at 29 degrees. Still a bit to go to beat 2018's max temperature of 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I can see clouds bubbling up in the distance of the station, yesterday was the same as the temperature peaked just after lunchtime.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Met have been predicting highs of 27C for Cork these past few days, but the readings never seem to go higher than 24C. Not that I'm complaining, but that's a consistent 3C of a difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Moore Park (near Fermoy) is up at 26 degrees at the moment and hit the same temperature yesterday.

Roches Point and Cork Airport would both be cooler given their proximity to the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I get the feeling those highs by the arpege model aren't going to happen. Most places will be in the 25 to 29C range between now and Friday. Temperatures around the Dublin area will stay in the 22 to 26C range generally due to sea breezes. Shannon and Mt Dillion may still peak at 30 or 31C tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes, perhaps the forecasts and observations don't reflect the same areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

To answer the question on the highest minimum temperature record for Ireland, it is 20.9C at Derrygreenagh (Offaly) on 25 July 1989. This is what is known as a ‘tropical night’ - a day where the air minimum temperature does not fall below 20C throughout the 24-hour period from 09-09.

As you might guess, tropical nights are very infrequent in Ireland with little instances of such from historical observations. However, there have been tropical nights in July 1989 (as already mentioned which holds the record), August 2001, August 1990 and July 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I checked the North. July is the only month which recorded a tropical night. If it occurred multiple times/locations or not I can't say as it only has the record for the highest minimum for each month.

20.6C 31 July 1868 Armagh (County Armagh)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see some showers have broken out in North Mayo as per the Met Eireann Forecast.

It looks like the temperature won't be quite as high as they suggested in their morning update.

• Advertisement

8 or 9 Lightning strikes on map there up to 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Quite a potent little thunder cell by the look of it! Almost completely stationary, gonna be some deluge under that. Would love to be there.

Yeah, i'm tempted to drive there myself but it's just too hot to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Mount Dillon still at 29, its mad how the temperature across the country just keeps stopping at 29 but i do expect that to change tomorrow or Thursday. I was chatting to someone earlier that is down in Tipperary near Nenagh and the temperature was between 30-31. Not sure how accurate it is but it does make you wonder if Met Eireann had more weather stations, 30 or higher would have already been recorded by now. To have only 25 weather stations seems ridiculous, not a single weather station between Oak Park and Moore Park, even between Gurteen and Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

August 2001 is an interesting one. I just remember heavy rainfall that month when the Dublin horseshow was on. I think the show was the second week of August rather than the first. My memory fails me on any real warm weather that month.

October 2001 was the warmest on record up to then I think. Just above October 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

There aren’t only 25 stations per se, the stations you refer to and see on met.ie outside of the historical database and WOW are called synoptic stations. They’re called synoptic stations because their observational data is used to generate synoptics or forecast charts and improve forecasting.

There are a fair few climate stations that are still manually controlled whilst some have become automatic and can be accessed via the Met WOW site (they have the label 'ACS' which stands for automatic climate station). Typically, we get access to the data from manual climate stations at least a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The sheer beauty of sky and cloud and ocean. Burgeoning in the heat. So many unusual butterflies.. dragonflies. Wild flowers. And the sunrises just across the lane from my home. I never in all my long life remember such beauty.An explosion of breathtaking LIFE all around,

You should write blog pieces Grace. You'd have so many topics and life experience🙂

Coolest day of this spell for Malin head with a high far of 14.1C so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Currently only a pleasant 23.2°c in west Clare (with a dewpoint of 21°c mind you!), very humid, got up to 26.9°c earlier before the sea breeze kicked in.

Should be much hotter in the next 2 days as the easterly flow hinders the sea breeze from developing.

Often the way. During December 2015 Malin Head had a nightime low of 16.4C with a mild southerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

That’s quite shocking when you think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seafog covering alot of the West Clare peninsula this evening, temperatures down to 20°c. Apparently seafog covered much of the north facing coast today, in places such as Kilkee

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Claremorris and Mount Dillon 27 degrees at 8pm. Some going!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wrecked tired tonight from the lack of sleep after the last couple of nights, especially last night after a humid sticky fog descended late in the evening and just eventually dropped to 14.9C ( was 26C in the house ). Cleared for a time this morning but moved in off the sea again keeping the temperature at my site near the coast down to a max of 21.6C and currently 18.8C. Much warmer further inland in Tralee.

Sea fog showing up well on the Sat pic along the Kerry coast.

Looking much hotter for here tomorrow, I see around Galway showing up very high giving 30C for much of the afternoon on the AROME Hi Res model and only slowly cooling that evening ,crazy high temperatures overnight to follow , quite possibly not dropping below 20C especially in Connaught and along Atlantic coastal counties.

Looks blazing hot for many tomorrow, large area getting up around 29 -30C, Met Eireann might add some more counties to the Orange warning perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

i think one of the most striking things about this heat wave is the evening temperatures. Seeing temperatures across the country like 25-27 degrees at 8pm, it’s quite extraordinary. Even in previous hot spells you would see high day time temps but evenings might be closer to 20 degrees. Even here in Dublin 5 quite close to coast it’s 22 degrees at 9pm and this was not one of the hotter parts of the country today.

Tomorrow looks really hot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tomorrow is looking hot but I think Dublin, eastern half of Leinster and Cork will miss out on the extreme heat. About 40 miles inland from the Irish sea coast is where the really high temperatures will kick off with many midland, western and south-western areas getting close to 30C tomorrow. There is a chance Thursday could be a degree or so hotter again before the cooling trend begins from Friday.

Tomorrow

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Felt warmer around 3pm than any day so far but sitting the garden at the moment and definitely a cooling breeze and less humid compared to other evenings.

On Meath- Westmeath border. Maybe a Easterly sea influence making it this far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

would ya look at the thick fog down in BALLYBUNION co kerry

Advertisement