Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you get your news?

• 25-11-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

With paywalls on news sites popping up everywhere these days, I'm wondering what subscriptions are worth it? Currently subscribed to The Irish Times with a student account from way back and thinking of adding The Guardian. Would prefer fully independent news, though, are any actually fully independent these days?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

jonnbinn wrote: »
    With paywalls on news sites popping up everywhere these days, I'm wondering what subscriptions are worth it? Currently subscribed to The Irish Times with a student account from way back and thinking of adding The Guardian. Would prefer fully independent news, though, are any actually fully independent these days?

I'm a lefty but I find the guardian too biased. It gas add one great info but I don't bother with it. The BBC has great news article without the waffle - about a third the length of guardian articles on the same topic.

I have a financial times subscription through work and it's very good. FT us usually socially liberal and fiscally conservative. But it's ultimately a pro tory paper vs it's gone full behind Johnson in the UK election at the moment. I presume it will go back to normal after the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Dublin Inquirer are great! They aren't a breaking/day to day source but excellent investigative work and cultural features too.

Irish Times, BBC for everyday news and for features Guardian and BBC Future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

I wouldn't pay for a newsfeed, I have the RTE news app for any 'big' news stories otherwise most news I'll pick up on FB etc and research myself rather than trust the generally bias approach of most outlets these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Breakingnews.ie
    The journal.ie
    Broadsheet
    The Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If I google a certain name/incident that's in the news and am presented with a range of links to click on, the ones I'll choose (first anyway) are the BBC, Independent.co.uk, thehill.com (for US stuff). NY Times as well, but they only allow a certain amount of free content. More and more sites are limiting the free content these days, sadly (but understandably).

Not much choice for Irish stuff. RTE is ok, the Irish Times has the most/best in-depth reporting but you only get a limited amount of free content, and the Indo makes you sign up, which I won't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

BBC and the guardian, but getting tired of the woke bull**** there...

DW news is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Newsthump and The Onion usually.

Soccer On Sunday for sports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Only news site I use is Waterford Whispers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

BBC news website. Pick up an Irish Times most days.
    Occasionally visit Al Jazeera. Used to visit CNN but have given it up in the Trump era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Irish Times, a little biased towards the landed folk.
    Independent, (it's a like a comic, with the body of a spider) improved a lot since Dinny left.
    RTE, good for the bare bones.
    CNN, defo Liberal biased spin but gives facts.
    Blanch, keeps me grounded ;)

Put them all together and draw my own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Babylon bee is a great new one :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

My mother tells me the local pariah news, other news doesn't interest me. I refuse to listen to those rancid Belfast news shows with their rancid accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

So CNN finally reaps the rewards of the farcical coverage they have given the last few years

Maybe if they'd had a more balanced unbiased view of the world and hadn't attempted to shove liberal woke nonsense down viewers throats for years they'd have held unto viewers that bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

CNN obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭thomil

I get a morning briefing from Alexa, mostly compiled from DW News and Reuters. I have a NY Times subscription, simply because 2€ a month is a steal. Seriously, the recipes alone are worth it 😉 Beyond that, I have a pretty wide set of sources from the Guardian to the Stars & Stripes, the latter being a holdover from my times as a US military contractor.

For news from home, I tend to focus on Tagesschau, as they're one of the few non-hysterical sources left in Germany. Even Der Spiegel, which used to be excellent, has gone down the drain, and the less said about Bild, Welt, and the other outgrowths of that abomination unto Cthulhu that is Axel Springer, the better.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah.... This has nothing to do with be fall in cable television wholesale across the board and the consumption of media via internet and social media and Twitter.....

You quite literally joint dots that don't exist because someone from a russia bot farm told you what to think..

To answer the OP I only listen to shills for russian bots here. The provide the most comedic news sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gemma

Cork examiner or star

Daily mail and express have far and away the best for headlines though......too full of royalty shite though,but guess thats there market🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

In the past, I used to gobble up news at every opportunity. Daily papers, weekend papers, TV current affairs programs. Over the last 8 years or so I have gone off most of it as I just can't figure out why the quality of journalism has nose-dived into a vat of yabbdabbdooo. It's not so much to the truth anymore, more the reporters often 'rank-own' personal views that keeps coming out. In the old days, reporters did care to get to the truth. I just do not see that quality anymore.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You don't need to pay for Guardian. I use them for live blogs, they are best for that.

Irish Times subscription, I think they are best in Ireland

The Times: I don't mind the tory bias but the only reason I'm paying subscription is because of their Style section. One has to have priorities.

I think OH subscribed to NY Times a few weeks ago but I didn't overly read that one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Bbc news

For the drivel that passes as journalism these days, headlines and comments sections. :D

If I'm doing proper research, I use the articles merely as links to primary sources. So many articles are press releases with minor, but sometimes revealing, edits. Outlets have biases, as do primary sources, so that has to be factored in too; hopefully against a backdrop of common sense, some sort of empirical approach to reality, and meaningful and easily shared interpretations.

Two things to always keep in mind: The allegory of the cave and the unreliability of witness testimony. You weren't there when the event being reported on occured, you only have the hearsay of a journalist. It's like gazing at shadows on a cave wall and thinking you're looking at reality. But even if you were there when the event occured, memory is an unreliable faculty and your recollection of events may not be entirely accurate. So, take it all with a pinch of salt, including your own experiences.. all you need to know is that politicians are the dregs of every society and journalists are even worse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Telly- RTE mainly, dip into Sky News for anything big happening in the UK.

Apps- Indo and IT, Daily Mail for UK and US news as, if you can look past some of the hyperbole, the layout is excellent and photos are far more detailed than any ther news source. The Journal only because it's handy but its editorial policy is an embarrassment. Radical left, anti Brexit, fact checks full of more holes than Calcutta.

Very honourable mention for Gript. Often more of a "news behind the news" site, casting a critical analysis on the oft times biased, or plain lying, reporting of the mainstream media, particularly their articles breaking down the actual numbers and stats behind hyperbolic Covid headlines.

Their story last week about how hospitalised Covid case nunbers are doctored for effect has already shamed Leo into action on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Watch the 6 o clock news to see whats happening here and online Daily Mail, The Mirror or BBC News.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've a subscription to Readly. There are various magazines and newspapers that come from across the ideological spectrum available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

It has to be The Jerusalem Post.

Today's top story: "Swastika carved into US State Department elevator"

Imagine if I hadn't known about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Hardly any worse than the Indo. How in the jaysus is an Instagram update by Roz Purcell, comments made by Vogue Williams on a Podcast no coont likely listens to, Rob Kearney's bird live blogging from an Australian quarantine hotel, the mind boggles really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The front page story in one of the tabloids the other day was about some z-lister (Kerry Katona or one of those?) closing her Twitter account.

To be fair, it is good that we can get so many narratives now, as long as we're aware that they are just that, narratives.

I listen to the radio in the car just so I can tell where the technocracy is taking us. I'm not listening to the discussion, I'm listening to the narrative being disguised as discussion, and asking "What are they preparing us for? What are they trying to make us believe?" etc.

A common tactic is having an "expert" on to discuss what must be done about something (Covid-19, say). The expert lightly admonishes the government for not being quick enough to do something that the technocracy has every intention of telling the government to do anyway.

Written news becomes amusing when you look at it this way. The Guardian's "liberal" agenda, which looks like a parody of social justice gone mad, makes sense when you see that it depends on corporate interests for revenue. It's also backed by a trust that is actually a limited company, and has deep ties to global banking multinationals like HSBC.

Advertisement