Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭antimatterx

If you move jobs during a year, and the new one has a higher salary, you've passed probation etc. Do banks take your new salary in it's entirety, or average between new and old? E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Does anyone have recent experience of equity release mortgages? I have a debt free property which I'd like to keep, wondering if it would be possible to release equity from that in addition to whatever mortgage value I could get based on my salary.

I assume you’re trying to buy a second property? You’re limited to 3.5x your salary for total mortgages. So if you mortgage the property you currently own and the second one, the total value of the mortgages must be less then 3.5x your income. Given that you’ll have a very low overall loan to value, as you’ll own two properties, you might get an exemption for more but it’s hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

If you move jobs during a year, and the new one has a higher salary, you've passed probation etc. Do banks take your new salary in it's entirety, or average between new and old? E

Should be new salary if you are past probation. You need to provide new salary certificate. But again check with the bank, they may have slight differences in assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I went through the Laya quote process for the Mortgage Protection out of interest, and potential backup plan. It's coming out at 25% extra compared to the current dual policy we're going through the application process on. The Laya policies are single or joint cover only, no dual available. They make it very clear that it's a basic cover and quick, but you do pay for that.

We'll plod along and keep pushing on the medical report for now I suppose...

silver_sky wrote: »
    I went through the Laya quote process for the Mortgage Protection out of interest, and potential backup plan. It's coming out at 25% extra compared to the current dual policy we're going through the application process on. The Laya policies are single or joint cover only, no dual available. They make it very clear that it's a basic cover and quick, but you do pay for that.

We'll plod along and keep pushing on the medical report for now I suppose...

Ya, the online application just outright rejects me... So yep it's just not exactly catering to anyone with issues. Will hopefully hear from Aviva this week but making additional applications in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Alwandy

Might have celebrated a bit too short now! Property I am buying won't be finished until March - April. Holidays, materials and Covid.. Letter of Offer expires in December, had a chat with AIB and they explained I have to go through the whole application process which last time took me 3-4 months to even get to the stage of letter of offer. Looking to resubmit my application in September, hoping the bank doesn't change their mind as I'm on the stage signing the contract. My circumstances won't change, rather than I will have a new job with 3 months probation period which is completed by December with a massive salary increase with 2x my salary bonus guaranteed. Fingers crossed that they'll be happy to proceed. Anyone has an idea of reapplying after having a letter of offer goes faster or a high chance not getting approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭bleaks

Been saving away with BOI's mortgage saver account as they offer a 2k bonus at drawdown if you have 5k saved in it after six months, however, I have just read somewhere that this is subject to 39% dirt!? Is this correct!?

It's bad enough them having extortionate interest rates, paying back around 175% of the cost of the loan over 30 years..ffs. Their rates are almost double avant's.

I think I might start looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bleaks wrote: »
    Been saving away with BOI's mortgage saver account as they offer a 2k bonus at drawdown if you have 5k saved in it after six months, however, I have just read somewhere that this is subject to 39% dirt!? Is this correct!?

It's bad enough them having extortionate interest rates, paying back around 175% of the cost of the loan over 30 years..ffs. Their rates are almost double avant's.

DIRT is 33% in 2020/2021, it's a tax and therefore governed by the govt. nothing to do with BOI but they are obliged to collect it for the government.

Any other bank that gives you an incentive for saving will have to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

bleaks wrote: »

I got mortgage approval in principle with BOI, but figured it'd be a while till I bought. So I opened the mortgage saver account. Saved the minimum monthly amount, and then transferred a lump sum when it looked likely I was going to get it over the line a few months later.

So with nothing more than 2 trips to the bank, and a savings direct debit I was going to need anyway I got €1,500. There is bascially no way you can complain about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Approval in principle letter from AIB today, about two weeks after being submitted to the underwriters and including responding to a further information request

• Advertisement

Alwandy wrote: »
    Might have celebrated a bit too short now! Property I am buying won't be finished until March - April. Holidays, materials and Covid.. Letter of Offer expires in December, had a chat with AIB and they explained I have to go through the whole application process which last time took me 3-4 months to even get to the stage of letter of offer. Looking to resubmit my application in September, hoping the bank doesn't change their mind as I'm on the stage signing the contract. My circumstances won't change, rather than I will have a new job with 3 months probation period which is completed by December with a massive salary increase with 2x my salary bonus guaranteed. Fingers crossed that they'll be happy to proceed. Anyone has an idea of reapplying after having a letter of offer goes faster or a high chance not getting approved?

Going to ask here since the guys on the phone seem clueless half of the time and / or don't really care.. Can you get in touch with the underwriters somehow in AIB and apply for a extension for the letter of offer 3-4 months. The market is tough, not a lot of new builds around and those who are gets bought up before even breaking ground. I just don't want to go through the whole process on re-applying again and answering same questions over and over. The process is so lengthy and the EA / Builder wants me to sign contract asap...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Generally if your finances haven’t changed the underwriters will only request up to date payslips and current account statements to reassess the application. You don’t need to submit everything all over again.

Generally if your finances haven’t changed the underwriters will only request up to date payslips and current account statements to reassess the application. You don’t need to submit everything all over again.

The guys on the phone for AIB mortgage team said I need to reapply completely.
    Maybe visiting a branch is recommended after all.. Hopefully they'll be glad to see a drop in tomorrow. Or any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Does anyone know if diabetics are still having problems drawing down mortgages?

macnug wrote: »
    Does anyone know if diabetics are still having problems drawing down mortgages?

Do you mean difficulty getting insurance?

Surely if you have whatever relevant insurance is needed, the bank shouldn't give a sh/te what your medical issue/s are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Issue isn't the bank and your medical issues, it's the insurer for the mortgage protection. The bank needs the mortgage protection in place (although I heard about waivers, not sure how willing) in order to draw down.

In relation to mortgage protection, really was not prepared for it to be so drawn out. Applied for it a month ago. Medical report request only arrived this week. It got sent back to the underwriter straight away but by looks of things I'll have to push back the closing date because of it. I do have a medical condition but it's not hugely serious and is under control so think I'll get it. Just a bit annoyed by the slowness of the process.

Yeah that was what I meant by insurance (mortgage protection insurance).

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭cromelex

Was told today by Avant that as FTB availing of the HTB scheme, they will only lend a maximum of 90% minus the HTB amount.

We've managed to reserve a very inexpensive new build, and learning this so late in the game is very frustrating. It seems very arbitrary, especially as we have steady savings and a very sizeable amount that would more than cover that deposit. Being eligible for the HTB scheme, it doesn't make any sense to blow up the savings to end up with basically a 80% LTV loan instead.

This is for a 20y fixed rate, where the monthly repayment would be 2/3rds of our current rent. And it's not even income related as AIB and KBC gave us AIPs for much much higher amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

what insurer were you going with? I applied through BOI and after 2 weeks of no response I took it out with Laya yesterday.

• Advertisement

Managed to get it through with aviva. Laya outright rejected me...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭DubLad69

Is it okay to withdraw money from your savings before you move in?

Our house will be ready in December and our letter of offer expires in October, so we will have to reapply.

With our current approval amount we have more than enough to pay for the house and furnish it. And we have received a significant payrise since the last time we applied.

If we were to withdraw 20k for furniture etc would that be seen negatively by the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Wudyaluk

With regards Mortgage Protection Insurance, is it a lot of hassle to change policy provider after drawdown?

Is there a minimum term you need complete before changing?

I naively went along with Bank suggested provider (Irish Life) for the Mortgage Protection. I've subsequently found out they are significantly more expensive than some other (non-bank affiliated) providers. It's €20 pm vs €15 pm, which over 35 years is a decent difference.

I should have done more research at the time but it seemed easier to go via the Bank. I actually haven't started the Mortgage Protection policy yet but I'm hopefully very close to drawdown so I don't want to jeopardise delaying things by cancelling the policy that is currently tee'd up.

Is there anything stopping me from cancelling the Irish Life policy once I get the mortgage across the line provided I have another (cheaper) policy in place to ensure no loss of coverage. I currently have no health issues so shouldn't imagine I take long to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

As long as you still have the 10% deposit and continue to show a record of saving/paying rent in the amount that the mortgage will be plus insurances then you should be fine. I'd just be wary about buying furniture prior to moving in as you might have nowhere to store it if your build is delayed for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭DubLad69

Thanks,

Yes we will still have about 20% deposit plus saving the same amount of more each month (if you ignore the amount that we will be taking out to pay for the furniture).

They have said that they will store our sofa until the house is ready. Our contract also states that they are required to have the house completed by the end of March. The forman also said that he expects that of there are no more covid delays it might be ready at in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Why not go with AIB or KBC then..... the answer is that avant are giving you a much better rate. How they give this rate is they have a higher performing loan book whereby they command higher deposits and insulate themselves from future crashes.

And it completely makes sense to "blow up savings" as savings is dead money whereas a lower mortgage truly saves you money on interest paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I put a deposit down having agreed that the completion would happen within 6 months. It was actually more than 20 months... I had to do three full mortgage applications in that time, going through the full rigours and having to reapply for central bank exemptions each time... I was told that due to the pandemic, that another application wouldn't be considered and that I was in danger of losing the deposit I had paid... In the end, the contacts were signed on the very last day and only hours before that whole thing would have collapsed on me. Don't trust a developer or the dates they tell you. Don't trust the banks...

Because KBC or AIB will not offer a 20 year fixed rate. I could get a much lower rate with AIB if I only wanted 5 years fixed. All going well we will go with Finance Ireland, whose equivalent 20year fixed rate is 0.24pp worse initially but decreases over time.

Avant will book a swap to cover any changes in the interest rate, and they are pocketing the difference between the rate that they pay and the rate that I would be paying them (with the risk they are taking being the chance that I might not pay them).

Savings are definitely not dead money. My "excess" savings (in addition of what I would need for any deposit) are earning more than 5% interest anually invested in bonds. Why would I want to save 100€ interest on the mortgage when that money could be earning me 150€ instead? And if this changes, their own terms allow me to pay down 10% of the balance on any given year, which I could do with those "savings" if there is no longer a more beneficial alternative.

Not to mention that if my personal situation went bad (by hypothesis, both myself and my partner lost our incomes), that "excess" deposit being kept in savings could pay for more than 2 years of the mortage to keep us afloat.

I agree that a higher deposit means less risk to the lender due to the higher collateral, as you say that insulates them from property price crashes, as there is less principal secured against the property. But given all the talk of how difficult it is for a bank to reposess a home in Ireland, having a loan that has a lower risk on non-payment in the first place makes more sense (and a long term fixed rate is already insulated from interest rate variations, thus reducing the risk of interest rate hikes making it unnafordable.).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I'd consider savings and investments to be two different things and would therefore clarify that. I've never met someone who called investments savings. Savings = dead money. Investments = good gains in capital.

KBC allow an overpayment on fixed rates so why not just go 30 years with them at the better rate and overpay each month to what your payment for 20 years would be and its a double win.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, that is valid when looking at it from that point of view on savings vs investments.

KBC allow a 30 year term but only a 10 year fixed rate - after 10 years on roll on to a different rate, which will be whatever is available on the market at the time.

Avant/Finance Ireland have 20 year fixed rates (which can be on a 20, 25 or 30 year term), but the interest rate is fixed for 20 years, so it does not change for that period. I know exactly how much I will pay each month for the next 20 years.

The reason why I prefer to fix over such a long term is that my expectation is that rates will rise, and also to insurance myself from being stuck with a 5 or 6% at a point in the far future if I am unlucky with the rolloff from a shorter fixed rate (this is more to do with risk than pure financial payoff - I'd rather lose 100€ on the opportunity cost if the rate goes lower, than to have to pay an extra 500€ a month if rates hit 5 or 6%).

Advertisement