Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dyson fans

• 20-07-2021 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that all the fans in the country are sold out at the moment, for some strange reason...

Dyson have an outlet store on their website with some limited stock (old colours etc) and refurbished stock, usually about €50 off...

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone was in need of a fan.

https://www.dyson.ie/dyson-outlet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I had a fancy Dyson cool tower in a hotel room in Salzburg that didn't have AC. I found it pretty much useless. A regular fan for 10% of the price would have done a better job.

Just thought people might want to know before shelling out big bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Dyson fans don’t cool the air. They only blow the warm air around the room.

I have a Dyson Hot+Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm not sure a fan is an adequate replacement for a/c... I know Dyson aren't perfect, but you might be expecting too much.

Might be more sensible to pay for a room with A/C

Yeh, fans circulate air. Which is why I use one... No expectation of cooling the air...

Their branding is a bit misleading there. But if you need a fan and you like the Dyson products then the above is an option...

I don't care either way, I was just trying to be helpful as fans seem to be sold out in allot of places and also difficult to find online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So the deal is that there's no bargain and even if there were, it's out of stock anyway. Is this a wind up? Because I'm not a fan. You've taken the wind out of my Sails!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If you do have a fan, or manage to obtain one, and live in a 2+ storey house, this is how to cool it.

At night for at least an hour before sleeping, place the fan at the bedroom window pointing out.

Close other windows upstairs.

Open doors / Windows in one downstairs in room but try keep other rooms closed to give a max flow to the cool air to travel upstairs.

The fan will blow out the warm air and the cooler air will replace it.

as the op said there are some in stock. posts like yours are the reason that boards really needs a dislike post.

thanks op for sharing, please don’t stop posting because of clowns like the above

I wasn't suggesting it was a replacement for AC. I was just giving context because virtually no Irish houses have AC so I was trying to make clear that my experience of the Dyson was in a similar setting to an Irish house in this heatwave.

Basically the Dyson didn't cool me down at all, despite it being called a Pure Cool Tower.

Interesting to see this video as one of the first when I searched a review on YT:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

We got a Dyson fan last year for approx €400 in Harvey Norman but it performed exactly the same as a €30 euro Silvercrest model from Lidl. Noisewise it was exactly the same so needless to say, it went back to the shop.

Sure the remote control and the ability to adjust the angle was nice but worth the extra $$$, eh no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I had the same with the bigger €650 version. Complete waste of money and time. Dyson dragged their heals for months but eventually took it back.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine spending €650 without knowing what I was getting...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

Not fans I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Bought the Dyson hot and cold fan on Monday for my daughter's room as she is on Oxygen and other equipment that makes the room very hot, very disappointed with it, bringing it back, hopefully I won't have any problems.

Okay kids...

I need to explain something... fans circulate air, they do not generally cool air. If you were miss-sold an appliance or you bought one without educating yourself on their use, then you should have done a better job...

Fans are very useful for circulating air, moving cool air into areas of warm air etc... If you need an A/C, then get one of those... theres also fans that you can put ice cubes in, you can place your fan in front of an open window, or even put a frozen waterbottle at the fans air intake... But in general, fans are not air conditioners. & yes, I do understand that dyson are expensive... So if you don't like the cost, then don't buy one of those... Also, please stop stating the obvious. All of the complaints above seem to be related to people not knowing what they were buying.

I believe Harvey Norman got a delivery of fans yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My mother was looking at one of these because if the hepa filter for virus reasons, no idea about the effectiveness of the filter but the salesman 100% claimed it would cool the room. Luckily she realised this was bollocks but I wonder how many people he's after duping.

My brother found a cost effective fan in HomeStore & More (I think), it has a tray you put ice cubes into & he says it cools his living room for a full day. Might be worth looking into.

The Hepa filter wont catch Viruses... but they do a really really expensive model that possibly does (according to the interweb)... its a formaldahide version or something similar... its the most expensive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

I did a lot of research on the Dyson fans and would spend the money if I thought it would was to be an improvement. But nearly every video on Youtube says to stick to your normal fan for a fraction of the cost.

The hot/cold fan works well as a heater but not for cooling a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's insane money to spend on basically a fan. It's possible to get fancy upright revolving tower fans for under 100 quid (or at least it was before the heatwave :P ) with remotes and sometimes wifi/bluetooth rather than spending 500+ on a Dyson. Why anyone would do it when they could get an actual A/C unit in for the same price makes 0 sense.

• Advertisement

Your logic is undeniable... The hypothisys you have come to is invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Have two and definetly DONT recommend anyone to buy a dyson if all you need is a fan, if you need air purifer and some of the other features on their models etc then have a look they are okay but very expensive. The cooling on the two different models I have is really poor, as others have said a simple fan would do same or better job. ALso both of mine have a terrible high pitch noise at times which seems to be random. Dyson support I found unhelpful also. Just some points for people thinking of buying as they are really expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

As a general rule of thumb I would say that if you want the air to cool your device needs to have an exhaust hose.

There are not enough hot days in Ireland to justify the outlay, for me. I have tried a ton of different products in hotter climes and a proper air conditioning unit is the only thing that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can go into more detail as to why their claims are impossible if you’re actually thinking of spending money on one.

The gist is that its a computer fan and a small amount of water/ice - and the claims made about these devices are wildly untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Great advice - worth mentioning the 'At Night' bit is key as this only works if the air outside is cooler than the air inside, otherwise you're blowing warmer air back into the house. So it can work during the day but only if you know outside temp is lower than inside temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

This review just about sums it up :

https://www.yourbestdigs.com/reviews/dyson-am07/

So, my Dyson arrived today. I've been testing it for the day, but will know after a week or so of sleeping next to it what I actually think...

Its the Pure Cool Me model that looks like a fish eye.

Cost €250 from the outlet. Limited stock, but not a refurb. Seems it was the only one left & has a UK serial number.

2 year warranty included

It is loud at setting 10. But I only want to use it while sleeping, to circulate air. I keep windows open at all times.

At setting 1 & 2 it seems to give off enough breeze to suit my needs, and very little noise. I'll see about this the more I use it.

Seems to be a slight hum on settings 3 & 4. I'll see if I can get rid of this by changing position, allowing more space around it or moving the position of the HEPA filter.

I wasn't sure about the design, it's massive, or the colour, white and fuscia... But it seems to sit fine on my bedside locker... I had thought I might send it back and wait for the black model, but I'm content with how it looks...

So far so good. I'm pleasantly surprised. I did pay attention to the negative comments above BTW, but I am also aware that I'm not looking for A/C or massive cooling... Just drawing air in through the windows and creating some circulation so I don't wake up with my head stuck to the pillow...

I'll give some feedback after a bit of use.

Post edited by Bluefoam on

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Maybe the fault is with Dyson for calling them cooling towers when they don't cool the air.

I think blaming the public - when the product name says it does something it doesn't - is unreasonable.

Contingency No Money Down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Dyson - buy the name and the price.Stick with supermarket brands or irish made.

Advertisement