Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Other Pandemic - Cocaine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Few in here a shoe in for new pub in crumlin. Yup yup. Gwan the lads wha. Wha ... Wha..

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Would ye have any issue with yer kids taking coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Not if they are getting it in Colombia at the source, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean I wouldn't mind a weeks party on the beach in Columbia once a year and just limit coke intake to that week. That's probably the healthiest way to do it, if I don't od. Would be hard to explain to the wife though, might get away with it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

would u get off the stage, coke dealers sell to consenting people, their customers get enjoyment from coke, paedo victims don't or consent. On what factual basis did u come to that comparison. Apart from both being against the law, there is no comparison between the 2. False equivalence, as usual.

• Advertisement

Only a scumbag would post that, so Macca and Jagger are scum, a lot of people would do anything to sleep with them, millions of people paid good money to see them live. Can u say the same about yourself.

Well, I dunno about your mate 'Macca' but the likes of posh prat Jagger have spawned countless provincial drug addicts with lives that never go anywhere. It seems your argument is based around bright lights, drugs and celebrity, which suggests to me that your values have been created for you by the work of PR people whose job it is to put lipstick on pigs. PR folk also make a huge deal of excess (inc. alcohol and drug use) in order to glamourize their anti-establishment product. And a thousand suckers are spawned...

I find that as soon as someone decides to throw a random paedo comparison the discussion has reached a point where it is not worth continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm fond of the cocaine I must say.

Its important to recognise its potency and not engage in mindless or meaningless sessions. On a night on the lash sure - usually split an 1/8 with a partner in crime.

But a generic saturday - just cos it is saturday - where you've 3 lads (and not a woman in sight) at a kitchen table at 5am texting like mad to find some dealer who will deliver. prob not the best idea - at least regularly.

The problem (imo) with drink or drugs isn't the drink or drugs itself - it's the lack of other options in peoples lives. like a hobby or interest. If I'm on the lash every weekend I won't make my activities the following day so it's an occasional thing cos I've other interests. if you've nothing else and your default is drink/drugs then that can lead to substances filling a void and being a crutch and that leads to problems.

I find these comments fascinating in they are so misguided.

Once they are adults they can do what they choose. My like / dislike is irrelevant - a life spent living by the rules of your parents is a life wasted - it's their life not yours. Not withstanding the fact that one can love their kids without approving of what they do.

As a parent your natural reaction is to wrap your kids in cotton wool but good parenting is overcoming this reaction and allowing them to live their lives freely. This is a general rule not related to drugs exactly.

In fact a life without bad choices or risky behaviour sounds a bit sterile to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Not to mention tobacco which kills many thousands of times more. But governments make the big money there so okay.

Wasn't cocaine recommended by the temperance movement instead of alcohol.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I know a guy who used to take coke regularly on the weekends. His reason for taking it was simple, he was a lightweight when it came to drinking. So instead of going out at 8pm and having to go home at 11pm steaming drunk he'd pull out a baggie take a few bumps and drink and stay out drinking with the rest until the early hours of the morning. Adding to that, I've heard that sharing good coke with a partner for a heightened sexual experience is also widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I’d be just like your friend.

its a social drug and if done properly can be enjoyable. Obviously there are people out there who will abuse it (similar to alcohol.)

There is a lot of terrible Coke in Dublin so it’s important that you buy it from the right people and test it before you use it (not rubbing it on gums) but dropping it in a glass of water. Good Coke will float and bad coke will sink (due to it being mixed.)

Again, like anything within reason it’s fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

That last bit is dead right. Plus whatever options that existed prior to getting into whatever immediate high they get into suddenly end up looking a lot less interesting when they get used to the alternative. Take some real commitment to keep up with your semi professional tiddlywinks career when a coke binge is an ever present temptation.

Sadly, I'm not Macca's mate, just a fan. I know Jagger is promiscuous and has fathered kids to women he wasn't married to, but as far as I know he pays some sort of maintenance for their upbringing. I know a few other men who have done the same and don't pay a penny or give an eff about their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Cokeheads are junkie scum end off. How pathetic and how sad do you have to be to rely on artifical substances to give your life meaning or enjoy yourself.

It is so pathetic it really is.

Finally a measured response to drive the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,233 ✭✭✭✭fits

cocaine was absolutely endemic during Celtic tiger times. I absolutely hated the effect it had on the nightlife atmosphere - and left Dublin never to return. It’s a horrible drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To the fans of cocaine, how do you rationalise the fact that you have to source it from crime gangs? There is no other way to get it, so you're putting money (indirectly at least) into the pockets of the Kinnehans and the like.

While you can argue for it to be legalised, the fact is that it currently is illegal. And by consuming it, you are both breaking the law and increasing the hold that gangs have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

And this is exactly why the war on the drugs is complete and utter failure. How did prohibition of alcohol work out?

The harms associated with drugs are very serious but I’ve come to the conclusion that what a criminal conviction does to a young person far outweighs the harms drug use is actually doing and in turn feeds the next generation of drug dealers.

Young people can go through drug use as a phase and outgrow it and go on to live normal healthy lives … But when a young person is criminalised, even brought into the system, it sets off a chain of events – a poor relationship with the guards, it makes them vulnerable to criminal gangs who want to exploit them, it cuts off their chances of employment, to travel, to get insurance, in some cases to get education. And the policy has failed to keep drugs out of the hands of young people.

You can point the finger all you want at people who “use” cocaine once off every few weeks/months or you can take a real view of the underlying laws that feed that system and exploit young people in disadvantaged areas.

No child is born a drug dealer.

Precisely what Relax Brah said above and I'd add that my own view on my own behavior is that the state chose this route with its drugs laws. Who are these law makers to tell me what I can or can't do to myself?

I'd rather buy a quality product from a proper vender but we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Would you say the same about people that visit the boozer twice or three times a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

The war on drugs has failed miserably around the world. It's just a fact of life that people will use substances like this. We have for thousands of years.

The sooner politicians have the bravery to accept this the better for everyone.

Regulation of some sort is at least worth a try. We can keep wasting resources and locking people up til the cows come home but there will always be someone else in line who wants to make money selling this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Who are the law makers? The people who make laws? That's their job??

yes those people. cos it's their job I should just obey them? blindly , just because....

If you want to obey the law cos some special interest group in the Dail decided make a bill . fine, do that. However I've one shot at life and I'm not bound by others curtailing what I want to do to my own body. Any law that curtails the freedom of an individual is perversion. It is immoral (IMO) for the state to control my day to day life. If my occasional cocaine use is that hill to die on so be it - I'd rather it was something more noble but the civil liberties argument due to covid restrictions had been made multiple times over the last year or so - so here we are.

I'd suggest , if you have the desire , read Frédéric Bastiat the law. his views has somewhat shaped mine.

if you want another thread on this beyond the drugs issue we could go for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i think i see what our problem is , and your right it would take more than a thread on boards to solve it for you .

in short you being happy in the short term is more important that people around you being happy in the long term.

thats fine for you but that mentality fails when other people with the same mindset start to effect your life negatively

at the end of the day it comes down to a lack of personal responsibility leading to a general lack of social responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

Having a few pints in the local yesterday and was chatting to a barman who retired a year or two ago. Said he doesn't miss it at all, that the coke made it tough work and liable for anything to kick off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its a good drug but I don't like the violence associated with it

Advertisement