Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

innrain wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/where-are-all-the-tesla-cars-1.4607874
    Not a bit of editorial fact checking or point of view.

I guarantee the Tesla Superchargers would be a lot busier a lot more often if they were completely free!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

slave1 wrote: »
    Too soon, don't they have to wait for objections?

I think appeals period has just passed - thought their might be some sign of setup or prelim activity but alas no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I asked the guy who delivered my car back in May and he said because Sandyford, Enfield and Belfast all need substations build it is going to be a all at once job. Now Belfast does not have any planning application that I can find although the official date says Q3 2021 so it is open to speculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

wassie wrote: »
    I think appeals period has just passed - thought their might be some sign of setup or prelim activity but alas no.

Full Planning was granted by meath Co Co yesterday, appeals period is now complete, so they can go ahead and start construction once they submit a commencement notice

jordan191 wrote: »
    Full Planning was granted by meath Co Co yesterday, appeals period is now complete, so they can go ahead and start construction once they submit a commencement notice

So the site could be ready in next to no time then…. As was Mahon Point.

Brilliant.

2021 - The year of the SuperCharger expansion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Must make a trip to mahon point to try it out this weekend. I only got one charge from free supercharging due to the lockdown and it ran out last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

jordan191 wrote: »

Your right - the stalls themselves wouldn't require a CN, but the substation building would. These used to be exempt works but that changed a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

jhegarty wrote: »
    Must make a trip to mahon point to try it out this weekend. I only got one charge from free supercharging due to the lockdown and it ran out last month.

We charged at the Mahon Point SuC yesterday: Only 2 out of 4 stalls worked and it therefore it was very busy but quick turnaround regardless. I added the site at the plugshare.

And what a car TM3 is! So happy with our choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Mahon point showing the app now.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seems to be getting some use anyways. A few pics on plugshare, and when I was there today a M3 was charging as we left. A MS was driving towards mahon as we were about to get back onto the south ring (no idea if they were going for a charge or not though). Seems only 3 of the 4 units are live as yet.

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/where-are-all-the-tesla-cars-1.4607874
    Not a bit of editorial fact checking or point of view.

A nice retort from a Tesla driver.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/where-are-the-tesla-drivers-1.4610184

Sir, – Your correspondent (Letters, July 1st) asks where are the Tesla drivers.
    When comparing the chargers at Birdhill the “non” Tesla free chargers are only a modest speed of 50kW while the v2 Tesla Superchargers at that site can deliver approx 130kW which on some Tesla models allow charging at over 1,200km/h.
    So Tesla drivers don’t need to hang around because the infrastructure they funded through the purchase of their car is so fast. They get the top-up they need quickly to get them on their way home to likely cheaper night-rate electricity.
    If other brands want better, faster infrastructure they too have the option to fund it.
    Also, if you are getting electricity for free you might lower your expectations in terms of reliability and availability like the bad old days of all-day charger hogging. You get what you pay for.
    – Yours, etc,
    Tesla Driver

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Perfect riposte

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Website updated too....

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/findus/location/supercharger/corksupercharger

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »

Love it....

Get the Enfield & Sandyford ones done and the map starts to look respectable....

557648.png

Now we just need to hound Musk to commit to new sites in Sligo, Waterford, Tralee & Derry... and maybe Gorey/M11 as was perviously mentioned by another poster

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bilasy

Love it....

Get the Enfield & Sandyford ones done and the map starts to look respectable....

557648.png

Now we just need to hound Musk to commit to new sites in Sligo, Waterford, Tralee & Derry... and maybe Gorey/M11 as was perviously mentioned by another poster

Apologies if I’m repeating, does Tesla model3 SR+ bought in 2021 qualify for any free supercharging credits ?
    Thanks

No, the only free credits would have been of it was purchased using a referral code and if a 2021 reg they would have expired by now in any case (6 months expiry)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

Do anyone know if the Cork SC is working. The navigation shows Reduced Service which from Googling seems to mean may or may not work.

Apparently only2 of the 4 stalls are working.... the 2 in the middle I believe.

See Elon tweeted the SuC network going to 300kW. I’d assume this is geared to the Plaid. Like to think with V3 quite new it could be an update of those units somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Advertisement

He/they need to forget this silly idea.

Why? Charge enough for it so it doesn't incentivise non teslas to use it. Just like Ionity, it'd be my last choice but a nice option to have if needs be. Not sure how the initiation, authorisation and payment would work though.

Ionity only have the high price option because they were required to as part of the EU funding they received.

There is no requirement for Tesla to do this, the owners funded the network expansion and it is Tesla's main USP. It's killing the golden goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did Tesla get any government funding to build their network here? If they didn't then don't open it up.

It's another revenue stream for them though and now that there's more competition in the EV market and EVs on the road increase they could make more money selling charging than selling cars.

They didnt AFAIK, thats why it's so much better.

It could be another revenue stream but it's a penny wise and pound foolish one. You get a few extra cents because a taycan plugs in to your charger, but lose the 100k+ that you could have had if the taycan owner bought an S, which he was doing when it was the only way to access the SuC network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

That trip to Mars must be costing more than expected, maybe needs the extra cash given what's happening to Bitcoin

"Here's why sounding the alarm when Tesla's holdings fall to breakeven or below is so important. It should alert investors to the damage should Bitcoin's price keep falling. If Bitcoin goes to $25,000, Tesla will suffer a $300 million hit to its earnings. If the price falls to $20,000, the loss rises to $500 million. That's about equal to all of Tesla's pretax income in Q1."

I wouldn't underestimate the shareholders, a fickle bunch at the best of times. Bitcoin just under $31k today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I for one hope it doesn't happen here. We've a holiday home in Kerry and birdhill is roughly half the distance. It's great knowing I can leave on 70 - 80 % battery, stop there for a toilet break, grab a coffee and I'm topped up enough to fly on with my journey. Not so good if I get there and I'm now queuing in my Tesla to use a Tesla charger!!

Surely they can come up with something in the app that if a Tesla driver has a supercharger set in their sat nav that a particular charger will be "held" exclusively for that Tesla driver.

Kind of takes away one of the primary advantages of buying a tesla in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If they opened up the network to other cars there's no way I'd buy a Tesla again. Even if they were to charge ionity prices to non Teslas I wouldn't care. I don't need to use the Supercharger network more than a handful of times a year but the piece of mind it gives me for long journeys would be hard to give up for me. Open the network up and give me that piece of mind when I'm driving a VW and I'd happily swap over to them.

Every Tesla owner knows they paid a premium for exclusive use of the SuC network, as others have said this is not in the interest of Tesla

• Advertisement

Wow. Defensive bunch so ye are. Granted I don't have a Tesla, but I never seen the big deal about the supercharger network. Perhaps because Ireland's supercharger network is so small, or perhaps because I so rarely need to public charge.

What price/value do folks attribute to the supercharger network in your cost when purchasing the vehicle? 1k? 5k?

Advertisement