Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I access the online portal without having the app installed on my mobile phone?

Options
  • 03-06-2021 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, good morning.
    My question is: can I access the online portal without having the app installed on my mobile phone? How can I do it?

I had the app installed and I always got that I had to make an approval to be able to access the web portal.

Yesterday there was a news item about text messages arriving on the mobile phone and it is a virus that steals information and gets into bank accounts and it is dangerous. I received a strange message on my mobile, but as I already knew the news, I didn't open it, I restarted the mobile and uninstalled the bank app. 

I don't want to reinstall it, I prefer to enter the portal from my computer in my home. But I can't because it asks for confirmation from my mobile phone. 
    What can I do if I don't have the app installed on my mobile?

Thank you for your help,
    Julia Bruno

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

juliaebc wrote: »
    Hello, good morning.
    My question is: can I access the online portal without having the app installed on my mobile phone? How can I do it?

I had the app installed and I always got that I had to make an approval to be able to access the web portal.

Yesterday there was a news item about text messages arriving on the mobile phone and it is a virus that steals information and gets into bank accounts and it is dangerous. I received a strange message on my mobile, but as I already knew the news, I didn't open it, I restarted the mobile and uninstalled the bank app. 

I don't want to reinstall it, I prefer to enter the portal from my computer in my home. But I can't because it asks for confirmation from my mobile phone. 
    What can I do if I don't have the app installed on my mobile?

Thank you for your help,
    Julia Bruno
    Hi Julia,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

To access your online account through the website, it would be necessary to have the mobile app to approve your log in. Please be assured that the app used enhanced security(strong customer authentication). This is designed to keep your financial information safe and make online banking even more secure. 

Bank of Ireland will never contact you by call,text or email asking you to follow a link to enter your banking information. If you ever receive any messages and you are unsure, you can certainly get in touch and we will be happy to help.

I hope this information helps.

Many thanks,
    Megan

Many thanks,
    Megan
    Megan can it be passed on to whoever is responsible (I realise that it's not a BOI policy as such, but rather a general rule now) that strong customer authentication does nothing but add hassle, difficulty and frustration to what should be a simple thing to do.

(not helped by BOI's constant app issues).

Not sure who such a complaint should be directed to, but SCA is a load of sh/ite, to put it bluntly.

Megan can it be passed on to whoever is responsible (I realise that it's not a BOI policy as such, but rather a general rule now) that strong customer authentication does nothing but add hassle, difficulty and frustration to what should be a simple thing to do.

Not sure who such a complaint should be directed to, but SCA is a load of sh/ite, to put it bluntly.
    https://www.eba.europa.eu/regulation-and-policy/payment-services-and-electronic-money/regulatory-technical-standards-on-strong-customer-authentication-and-secure-communication-under-psd2
    It's a decision of the collective governments of the EU, via the European Banking Authority.

Nothing in particular BOI can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Many thanks,
    Megan

Hi KKV 

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I'm afraid these are necessary changes we needed to make inline with EU Regulations. We will pass on your views internally. 

Many thanks, 
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ppaolo

Hi,

I cannot access my boi account due to new 2FA rules. I checked the infos which point to either a mobile app-based token or a phy device. T'd rather get the phy device, but following the path to order it, after login, I get a screen asking 'Contact us to discuss using a Physical Security Key as a security device' which pops up a panel with only phone numbers to call.
    This seems to imply that voice-impaired people are no (more) eligible as boi customers?
    what if I've troubles with voice? why not offer email contact too?
    am I supposed to hire someone for assistance?
    am I supposed to use a bot-based assistant?
    what do we have to discuss? just mail me the phy token - I can email you an updated proof of current phy address in case - and bill me the cost.
    Is actually the phy token unavailable and the phone-app mandatory instead?
    why not use SMS (too) as alt method of checking?
    Got same issue with the connected debit card, which I finally left it locked, despite satisfying the security assistance  checks for card activities, confirming it's me :/
    Pls let me know (best, (re)arrange the 'device setup' path properly) - else I'd draw funds via connected paypal till 0 then I'd abandon it.
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

ppaolo wrote: »
    Hi,

I cannot access my boi account due to new 2FA rules. I checked the infos which point to either a mobile app-based token or a phy device. T'd rather get the phy device, but following the path to order it, after login, I get a screen asking 'Contact us to discuss using a Physical Security Key as a security device' which pops up a panel with only phone numbers to call.
    This seems to imply that voice-impaired people are no (more) eligible as boi customers?
    what if I've troubles with voice? why not offer email contact too?
    am I supposed to hire someone for assistance?
    am I supposed to use a bot-based assistant?
    what do we have to discuss? just mail me the phy token - I can email you an updated proof of current phy address in case - and bill me the cost.
    Is actually the phy token unavailable and the phone-app mandatory instead?
    why not use SMS (too) as alt method of checking?
    Got same issue with the connected debit card, which I finally left it locked, despite satisfying the security assistance  checks for card activities, confirming it's me :/
    Pls let me know (best, (re)arrange the 'device setup' path properly) - else I'd draw funds via connected paypal till 0 then I'd abandon it.
    TIA
    Hi Ppaolo,

Thanks for getting in touch and we’re really sorry to hear that this has been your experience with ourselves. Can we ask you to send us a PM please with some more information? We can certainly look into this and advise you further on this.

Thanks,
    Richard

Megan, Richard

PM seem gone since boardsie moved and restore read-write. Anyway, no special/private infos was exchangedso thought I'd reply here so others can get clues. Basically you ask to install itrs.ie's voice-to-text-to-voice app to bridge customer's texting to/from your voice-based service via whatsapp/skype ... I'm baffled, perhaps I'm just too naive here but wonder why you just don't text directly, any decent CRM has text/SMS module interface since decades.

Anyway, I see these apps run on Android 6 minimum, my phone/devices is still on Android 5 (or lower! I realized still using an Android 4 tablet!). Don't plan to get new one till forced by failure or telecom dropping 4G, so if BoI can't make things more plain & eazy (e.g. why not just mail me the token device to my verified phy address you have on file?) i'll keep the limited functionality via paypal connection till possible / useful to me.

thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi ppaolo,

Sorry, we're unsure of the first part of your query where you mention installing an app? Is this in relation to Boards.ie or Bank of Ireland?

If you wish to order a Physical Security Key you can call 0818200362 or visit a branch.

Thanks

Tara

Hi Tara,

please see my post of June 22. I was told via private message (PM) that to get around voice-impaired issues boi offers/uses https://www.itrs.ie/'s text-2-speech services, which was an Android 6-or-above app. Hence my latest update of Jul19 (now I see itrs moved to webapp instead). So basically the whole thread for me i around that I'm stuck in & baffled by the procedure:

• login to my boi account -> need to setup 2FA
    • want / choose phy token device, I'd expect it sent to my phy address you have on file but instead I'm asked to call you to discuss the thing ?!?
    • I'm voice-impaired, hence boi agent offered the itrs.ie's solution, but it's Android 6+ app whereas I've Android 5 phone -> then see my post Jul19

as said, seems now itrs.ie moved to a device-independent webapp chat solution, but I'm still baffled by the complications introduced:

• why don't you setup a webchat channel as well, if you need extra infos on context before confirming the shipment? (though that wouldn't make use of the phone number on file, but seems neither the itrs.ie 's webapp would)
    • why don't you just text (SMS) directly to the (mobile) phone number you've on file?

sorry but seems to me that boi setup a complications office - while I understand possible underlying cybersec reasons, I see little to no gain by exchanging details through a 3-rd party webchat service. Other banks simply sent me the new token device to the phy address on file like for the new cards.

Is calling 0818200362 through itrs.ie webchat-2-speech service our only option then? (I don't expect to be in person in IRL anytime soon)

thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Hi ppaolo,

Thank you for getting back to us here on Boards.ie.

I am sorry to hear this. There is an option available to order a physical security key through our website. I will attach a link below. Once you fill out this information, you should receive your PSK within 5-7 working days.

There is also a Live Chat option on our ways to contact us page on the Bank of Ireland website. Once you have a 6 digit 365 PIN you can use this service and my colleagues can help you there.

I hope this information helps and if there is anything else we can do please let us know.

Have a nice day and take care!

Thanks, Megan

• Advertisement

Hi Megan,

... order a physical security key through our website. I will attach a link below. ...

ok, but the premise is:

"If you live outside of the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland or Great Britain, please call +353 1 4606410"

so we're back to step 0, it's like the contact-us popup in 365online at the end of the path after you say you want the phy device: are (non-IE-residents) customers supposed to go to itrs.ie's and call that number via their webchat then? or ...

There is also a Live Chat option on our ways ...

I see no such feat at present on 365online.com, perhaps will wait for its implementation, if it's going to happen in few weeks(?)

thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi there,

The Live Chat option is available on our main website Live Chat not on 365 Online.

Thanks

Tara

Hi Tara,

thank you, but as of now that page doesn't offer a 'live chat' thing, instead I read:

"Our new webchat service is now available to answer queries related to your account. (ROI only) ..."

Under "Online & Phone Banking" I read also "We need your consent to load web chat functionality" but no clues where to set such consent in case - anyway, the "ROI only" seems clear enough that such 'Live Chat' option wouldn't be available from abroad anyway.

So seems only option really is calling via itrs.ie's wbechat - which number? the local or international one? - assuming that would work, that is.

thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi ppaolo, thanks for coming back to us here on Boards.ie.

You can certainly contact our Customer Service Desk on 0035314044000 from abroad and one of my colleagues would be happy to assist you further as best as they can.

This team is available from Monday- Friday between 9am- 5pm.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks, Eve

Advertisement