Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value Golf Balls

• 21-07-2021 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I started to get into golf recently and have just been using balls that I had lying around from before. I'm starting to run low though and need to get some more. Could anyone reccommend some good value balls? I know the Pro V1 is the best but they're very expensive and I would be prone to losing some balls so would be looking to get something thats cheaper until I improve my game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I’m in the same boat as yourself. I got a couple of Inesis balls from Decathlon that were cheap and seemed reasonable. I don’t know what makes a ball good or bad but they worked for me.

As an amateur, the difference between a top tier golf ball and the mid-range ones is pretty negligible and most people, including myself, wouldn't really notice that much of a difference. I'd normally get balls from somewhere like Sports direct as they're generally much better value than almost everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LillyIsland

After doing a bit of googling the Callaway Supersoft seems to be recommended a lot as one of the best budget balls. Can be got at McGuirks for €45 for two dozen, seems like a decent one to go for.

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/callaway-supersoft-21-golf-ball-dozens--white/ca21d0102001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

What makes a good ball depends on many factors and is completely down to personal preference. I have friends who won't use distance balls because they're too clicky/hard, others who dislike soft models. There's even some that dislike the "stickiness" of the likes of ProV/TP5 and prefer less spin near the green. Some prefer high viz yellow/orange and others like the visual aids of TaylorMade pix and Callaway truvis or triple track.

You absolutely can't beat the Inesis distance ball for value @ 50c per ball or €6/dozen. Love the soft matt finish on the yellow ones.

Not a bad shout for a premium brand. There are loads of used balls on donedeal/adverts if you want to try the premium balls at a fraction of the price. Most of the balls don't have too much use and are perfect to use. My advice would be to get the cheap Decathlon balls to start with and then as you improve try as many different brands, styles and plain/visual aid as possible until you find something that suits your eye/feel. It's also a lot cheaper at the start when you're losing multiple balls per round. Until you've made some improvements in your game the different specs and spin profiles won't make much difference.

Well done on taking up the sport and I hope you really enjoy it. Welcome to the most equally frustrating and satisfying sport around. Also never tell your partner how much you've spent on golf gear. They really should make that the first lesson when you start playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LillyIsland

Thanks for the really helpful response! I will go with your advice and pop through an order for those Inesis ones to start with anyway and give them a go, thanks!

My worry with buying used golf balls would be that there may be some counterfit ones in the mix and I wouldn't be able to tell which were real or not but maybe that's something I don't need to be concerned about.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Post edited by LillyIsland on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

Go with someone who has decent feedback and you shouldn't have to worry too much. Fairly low chance of being scammed imo.

Whatever you do, enjoy the rounds and don't get too annoyed with lost balls. We all lose plenty so you'll be in good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Seed Golf ball also. €25 plus €5 for shipping for a dozen of the pro ball if you sign up for a sub or multi buy. Irish company too. I signed up to get them every 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

One thing though is that the MyGolfSpy guys have shown in their ball testing that, as they put it, "Soft means Slow"

In other words you're costing yourself distance, all things being equal, by playing a soft ball vs a firmer ball (that doesn't mean you need to play a rock, just that the soft, low compression balls do lose distance)

Might be worth taking a look at the MyGolfSpy ball tests to see what they recommend. They have tons of data ok performance and pretty sure they tested across premium and budget balls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

Everyone in Ireland should be using seeds. Their premium balls are of similar quality to the ProV1s. And if you're not getting any benefit from using a premium ball go for their country mile balls. They're as cheap as anything available and perfectly good.

They're the best value and you'll be supporting Irish.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Srixon Distance are good cheap balls. Rick Sheils did a review of them a year or so ago, comparing them to a ProV1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Their country mile balls are awful. Bad value even at €15. Go for Inesis balls over them

They dont make it easy with you having subscribe and unsubscribe and essentially 3 dozen now for free shipping

But they also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i only use srixon distance balls last few years

dont use anything else. i think finding a ball and staying with it has helped me (might just be in my head) i wouldnt hit anything else though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anecdotally I think these are the most common ball in Ireland for mid to high handicap players. I see lots of players using them and whenever I find balls in bushes/ponds it's more often than not Srixon.

As for the Seed country mile balls, I got a dozen of them last year and couldn't fault them

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gaz22

i also stocked up on them a few months ago at €15 for a dozen they hav callaway supersoft too that go down in price fairly often https://www.amazon.co.uk/Callaway-Supersoft-2019-Golf-White/dp/B07MP7Q4FG/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=golf+balls&qid=1627398009&sr=8-7 i got 48 of those for €20. any ball that is dispatched and sold by amazon wil have a huge fall in price at random times so its worth it to check often. i prefer the supersoft to the rbz but im shite so it doesnt make a difference to my game.

Yeah - I have seen the RBZ as low as 16 euro

My mate picked up the same TaylorMade RBZ balls in a Sports Direct shop at 33 euro for 2 dozen

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Daniel son

Srixon distance, supersoft, dt trufeel, RBZ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

I ordered a couple of dozen Seed balls the other day, mostly out of curiosity and obviously to try them out. Normally I'd be a ProV1 or Z Star user. I'll report back on how I find they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

I wonder how much of an effect the balls have. My dad used to buy me cheap balls every Christmas. I stopped playing for a few years and still have a couple of boxes of them left from close to a decade ago. So these would be the 10 balls for 10 euro second hand type stuff - top flights, pinnacles and the like.

I keep a couple in my bag just to get through them. And I don't notice a difference in terms of scoring. I feel like they're inferior, but looking at my scorecards the only way you'd know when I was using them is if the first half of my round was bad, it's likely I switched to them because I didn't want to lose any more good balls. But I'd say I'm equally likely to get a par / birdie with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Topflight xls etc feel like a stone when you are hitting them I find. No feel around the greens etc and don't stop especially when the ground is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 James M. Morales

I am also using this Callaway super softball for the last 1.5years I loved that ball, but there Is an issue I found One issue we had with the Callaway Golf Supersoft balls was the somewhat shallow dimples. Otherwise, the ball is amazing features that can improve your game in several ways, including giving you higher speeds and accuracy every time you step up to the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Plenty of people would say its the easiest, and most important equipment choice you can make. Not all balls are the same, and they all do different things. You have such a choice now. There used to be a real simple rule of thumb for choosing a ball but now its crazy in terms of choice, right down to what sort of ball matches your swingspeed.

Like I think there is an undeniable difference between you playing a round with a hard ball or budget ball. And then play a round with a premium 3 piece ball, it's night and day. Like yourself throw me any ball I'll probably hit it well and be fine with it, but I know there is a ball type I'm choosing every time.

For as much R&D that goes into golf balls, its crazy to me there isnt better information and advice around them. Like pretty much any fitting you will go to, they will throw a Prov1 down in front of you. I don't personally think thats a ball for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This popped up on my feed.

Seems appropriate for this thread

Advertisement