Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

They did. Had everything lined up by both. But still up to 10 days just for final checks and drawdown. For it to take that long can only imagine that operational infrastructure in the Irish banks, for what should be standard work, is completely inadequate

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

same here, everything needed was in place, it really should not be taking close to two weeks to check a few documents

• Registered Users Posts: 8 uljha.insaan

Hi All,

this thread is very helpful. It might be a stupid question but thought to ask anyways.

We are first time buyers and looking at this new housing estate coming up. Real estate agents is asking for 10,000 Euros as a booking deposit where as price of property is 340,000. It is refundable until contracts are signed. It looked a bit much to us since construction is not started yet, and agents don't even have information of inclusions. Basically nothing much other than site plan.

Does this seem like a normal practice? What can we do to make sure that all of this is secure transaction? We were thinking to hire solicitor at this point and let solicitor make this initial deposit but some people mentioned that no need to involve solicitor at this point. Moreover, how does this work, will agent refund us 6K once Revenue releases 30K of HTB to builder? (will ask these to agent as well, but interested in experiences of other ppl as well)

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭ec18

You'll take the 10K from the purchase price. So in your case 340K purchase price, take the 10K booking deposit out the balance due is 330K

HTB of 30K goes to builder - balance left 300K

When you close your solicitor will transfer the balance of 300K made of mortgage and your own funds

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am trying to sell a property, and it's now been 7 months and the buyers bank still hasn't gone live with the draw down, despite verbally saying the loan has been approved. Every tick of their clock, where something happens, they say that the next tick is 4-6 weeks away - like nuclear fusion always being just 30 years away. It's unreal. The economy is dysfunctional with this sort of carry on.

This what you get when you have a government that seems to deliberately drive efficient foreign banks out of the Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Are you sure it's the bank and not the buyers? At 7 months you might need to look into putting it back on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's not a normal house sale, more of a house on a property, with the latter being the main selling point. I have known the purchasers for a couple of decades, so I have no reason to doubt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Hi all,

Hope the house hunting/selling is going well! We've just had a bid accepted on a house albeit still waiting approval from the banks, through our broker. It'll be another week or so before we get approval but we've a very solid application so no fear of not getting it.

How long is it generally taking now between approval and loan offer and I suppose as a follow up on that, how long is it generally taking for a sale to close? I've seen some houses taking 4 or 5 months to close this year, if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Anyone know how long at the moment its taking for a bank to release deeds?

Sale agreed for 2 months and no contract. Seller blaming bank.

Can anyone advise how to transfer large sums of money, do I need to go to the bank in person to transfer the money?

I tried calling the bank but gave up after being on hold for 20mins.

• Advertisement

Took about 3-4 weeks for AIP then 1-2 weeks for loan offer once valuation was complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Depends on the bank but probably best to do it in branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

About 8 weeks was what I've seen from other groups so sounds about right.

I've said this so many times but it should be illegal to list your house until you've deeds in hand.

Yes, you just need passport/drivers license and the BIC and IBAN of your solicitor. Took me about 25 minutes the two times I had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

I have/am using my solicitor to also tie in with the vendor to get an idea how long it will take to tie up their end also, it's quite easy/straight forward to get your side of the mortgage done, but I'd your buying off a seller in a chain or who's dragging their feet on purpose there's not a lot you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The most helpful advice we got was from our estate agent the day we went sale agreed, which was to be prepared for days and weeks of silence, where it feels like nothing is going on, but where in fact there's a lot going on in the background.

Nonetheless all the waiting is killer 😂

The vendors' solicitors are due to get back to ours today with the pre-contract enquiry responses so fingers crossed things go swimmingly here on in, we're nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Unless you've completely paid off your mortgage, the bank holds on to the deeds as its the bank that owns your house.

So if you're selling with an outstanding mortgage on the property, you won't ever hold the deeds.

The bank, in this situation, may well have misplaced the deeds, and are frantically looking for them. Happens more often than you would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Meant to be closing day for me today . Didnt hear anything the last few days about a delay so fingers crossed .

Sold in September

Sale agreed end of October (i had to pull out after a survey)

Sale agreed November (seller pulled out)

Sale Agreed December (seller pulled out to put it back on the market when prices shot up)

So its been a long slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

gone sale agreed in few weeks (as seller); buyer bank evaluation/engineer report done since, all ok; but the day our solicitor tells us they got the deeds from the bank, we hear back from the agent, the buyer pulls out due to "personal reasons".

assume will go back on the market; but wondered how are various agencies handling this here - e.g. am I meant to be charged extra for one or more buyers pulling out, or is this usually included in the initial fee ?

- hopefully this doesn't happen too many times ... have other staff to plan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

As the seller you won't be charged any extra. Your solicitor may charge more but usually it's a fixed price. If you were purchasing and had spent money on valuations and surveyors reports then you'd have to pay again a second time. The surveyor may give you discount for a second one but basically you're getting the same service again so same fee applies.

Your estate agent is only paid when the sale goes through, they keep a portion of the booking deposit and give the rest to your solicitor. Your solicitor will deduct their fee from the proceeds of the sale and give you the balance at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I know someone who built their house who isn't on it at all, definitely, have tried all iterations of their address, is there a way to not go up on it? they bought after 2010 for definite but their house is definitely not on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Ah god that's a lot of messing around, I hope you did close in the end today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Did they build it or buy it? Self builds won’t go on the register because there’s no transfer of ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

We're about to close on a sale, just waiting in the bank to release funds. Seller is mad keen to complete but the bank (AIB) have been slow to respond. We uploaded docs on Tuesday and they're saying theu won't look at them until Friday and we won't get funds until early next week.

Is it the norm to arrange a pre-closing walkthrough with the estate agent? We're told the house is empty but it would be confirm that ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Has anyone used https://www.propertyhealthcheck.ie/ for a pre purchase survey? Recommended if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

We used them. They were very good. Quick turnaround and very thorough. They give you a call to run through any high level issues first before the overall report issues and they have a rising damp monitor to check for damp in the walls

Yes it's normal and as you have the time while you wait for funds to transfer it makes sense.

My house was in a chain and they weren't moving until closing day so it was more hassle than it was worth to delay for me and I trusted the vendor but I've heard of some people get shafted with several skips worth of stuff in attics and sheds

Sorry I meant all house purchases. If they built their house it wasn't a purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I contacted them but they seemed a bit more expensive than I was expecting.

Went with Kelleher & Associates instead who I've actually used twice before and ended up being cheaper.

I actually contacted Property Health Check as I was a bit surprised when Kelleher came back initially with a price, turns out survey reports have gone up a lot in price in the last few years!

Advertisement