Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

One Dose of J.&J. Vaccine Is Ineffective Against Delta, Study Suggests

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/07/20/health/coronavirus-johnson-vaccine-delta.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Seems to be at odds with the Canadian real world study. It found 1 dose of AZ was 67% effective against symptomatic infection with Delta. The J&J study linked was based on lab results which seemed to match their 33% efficacy with AZ. They are basing their result or confirming it based on their AZ result.

Not to mention the study out of SA which found J&J effective.

Seems all these studies popping up are really contradicting each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Yeah contradictions galore. Hard to know what to think. I would imagine anyone 35 and under who got j&j will be good anyway. Maybe a booster for over 50s eventually. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Meh, I really wish newspapers would stop reporting about random small preprint studies. Now, I’m far from an expert, but this study is preprint/not peer reviewed, look at the antibody response and not at the actual symptoms or hospitalisations, and was done (if my understanding is correct) by getting blood from a few donors (9 in total) and injecting all the various variants in them.

I’m sure it’s a very important study, but it doesn’t reflect real world data and for sure doesn’t warrant a “study suggest vaccine is ineffective against delta” title.

Also, from the conclusions of the paper it actually recommends against boosters, at least for now.

The data presented here emphasize the importance of surveillance for breakthrough infections with the increased prevalence of highly transmissible variants. If an increase in breakthrough infections accompanied by severe COVID-19 is found following adenovirus vector or mRNA vaccination, this would provide a rationale for public health policy-makers and manufacturers to consider booster immunizations that would increase protection against the VOCs and Lambda variant. As such a need is not currently evident, the public health apparatus should focus on primary immunization in the U.S. and globally

Quite disappointed to see that in the NYT.

(the article is better, but the title is very clickbait.)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep, only had a sore arm as well with both doses . I was a bit tired the next day but put that down to the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Romania's vaccination rate of 0.07% in the chart above is feeble, no wonder we are able to buy vaccine from them! Outside Europe, Sri Lanka has a comparable daily rate to Ireland and Ecuador half as much again.

The quick extension of booking to under 25s suggests two things to me, one that the Romanian vaccines are coming and two that the takeup among the 25-29s is not that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Just something on this vaccine cert for nightclubs and crowded places... Can they do something like this here?

I guess they already have with indoor dining. But where does this leave other workplaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I would say we have a considerable amount of that age group jabbed already for various reasons, healthcare workers, health risk groups and lots signing up for J&J through the pharmacy's etc...

Romanian doses could be enroute soon as well though. Although gone very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,990 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Did we get a huge delivery of Pfizer in the last week I wonder? A 29 year old friend says she has received three different offers of a Pfizer vaccine this week (two GPs and a MVC).

I would necessarily be convinced low take up among 25-29 year olds is the reason the over 18s portal has opened so quickly. Take up has been very high among most other age cohorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Same here, except mine's at at 3pm tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭snowcat

We must be nearly done with first dose vaccines to the ones who want them? Definitely by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It'll be into August but that 82% target for the end of the month is looking pretty likely. Th mRNA option for 18-24s is just opening and there is no way we'll get through that group and anyone else who is waiting in 10 days despite the speed of vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pfizer dose 2 done and dusted with the GP this morning. In and out in 20 minutes.

Steady stream heading in of all ages really , 50/50 it seemed between dose 1 and dose 2

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Wasn't the AZ study flawed in SA ( comparison - % HIV non HIV, age range, general health and importantly, the dosing schedule - 2nd given a lot earlier - AZ as we know is a slow burner, the second dose being key etc). Also, real world data for AstraZeneca against B.1.351 (South African variant) is giving some interesting data and differs from the SA study. Mac n Chise twitter discussion about this.

So like many others, real world data will be different for various reasons.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1383421735932817409

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Has anyone managed to get a second dose early? I’m due to travel three weeks from dose 1 so I could get it. Reading on HSE website anything from 17 days is a valid dose (Pfizer)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Adult population in Ireland: 3.763 millions

First doses + JJ given as of 20th July: 2.822 + 0.167 millions -> Share of adults with 1 dose is already above 79%. We'll have 82% by the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whilst I'm more of a fan of "total population" figures, it's particularly neat seeing the "16+ with at least one dose" increase by exactly 1% in a day.

Feels like a countdown to freedom, or at least a countdown to not giving a sh!t any more, which is a point some people have reached already. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was fully expecting to be waiting well beyond the 28 days for my 2nd dose, so was pleasantly surprised when I received the text this morning for second dose this Saturday - 3 days before day 28!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

My 'beef' with the vaccination strategy chosen by the HSE for one specific cohort of the general population - those aged 60-69, is that it was a poor strategy, given the supposed additional health implications for anyone over 60 contracting the virus. It left citizens in this age group only partially vaccinated whilst the HSE was running ahead with full vaccination for those in their 50s, 40s and 30s. Who thought this was a good idea?

One swallow never made a summer, but in my case anyway I caught the virus (likely Delta variant going by symptoms) over last week or so. I hadn't received my second AZ jab due to the HSE plan. In this same time frame, our daughter in her 20s is off for vaccination today.

Surely you can see a problem with a planned vaccination strategy based on health outcomes with such obvious disparity.

Has anyone went to their appointment early? Would they even let me in a few hours early or am I wasting my time?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're welcome to your opinion, which you've trotted out repeatedly, but it's not unarguably right since the alternatives would have been:

• give AZ to younger people who are more at risk (although it's a tiny risk) of dangerous side-effects, or
    • dump the AZ and leave hundreds of thousands of people unprotected as they waited for mRNA vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They don't seem to be keen on it if you are there for a different 'session'. If you are early within your session they don't seem that bothered, in Croke Park at least, but seemed a lot fussier if you turned up in morning for an afternoon slot or afternoon for evening slot. You could try to explain it's for work reasons and you might get lucky on the door.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

AZ done its job so given your not severely ill?

Getting covid now is better than your hoped for MRNA booster.

Well protected now.

Hope you not feeling too bad and recover quickly 😀

Thanks, they have enough work to be doing, so I'll stick to my time and feck work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes those would have been valid alternative strategies and personally I would have been in a favour of a strategy that vaccinated those above 18 working upwards first, once health care staff and very vulnerable were catered for.

But that was not the stated criteria from the HSE, they clearly laid out that the vaccination strategy for the general population would be be based on age working downwards. In this regard their chosen application of AZ was poor - it left the very people who they indicated as 'more at risk' as only partially vaccinated. Several prominent public figures were warning about this in June and urging use of mRNA vaccines as second doses in order to plug this gap.

It really depends on your viewpoint as to why you'd want to be vaccinated. Being in my 60s I'd have preferred to be fully vaccinated as quickly as possible due to potential health implications of catching Covid. Many younger people are less concerned about that but want vaccination as soon as possible so as to get 'vaccination certificates'.

If we didn't want to waste AZ vaccine, a better strategy might have been to given all the public a choice of vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pfizer dose 2 done at gp this morning, 3 weeks later. Delighted! Steady stream of all ages going in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

So hang on you would have advocated for an 18 up rollout once the very vulnerable were done? The age based roll out has protected people based on vulnerability to severe illness and prevented negative outcomes. At the time NIAC rules prevented AZ being rolled out to younger cohorts anyway. What you propose would have significantly slowed down the vaccination programme and actually seen more older people (50-60s) also getting AZ while the 18 plus got Pfizer.

The strategy implemented is based on risk and ease of roll out. The most complex groups were the non age based groups (4&7) and this caused issues. Age and risk of severe illness from underlying health issues was the morally correct decision in terms of rolling out vaccines. If AZ wasnt given to the 50 -70 year olds we would have probably 450,000 less people fully vaxxed(900,000 doses). I am in my 30s and got AZ, work in a patient facing role and had no issues waiting 12 weeks despite my likelyhood of contracting Covid being significantly higher as at the time, one dose offered good protection. By the time Delta took hold here, vast majority of second doses had been delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Your last sentence is rewriting history. The 12th April the NIAC said that the AZ should not be given under 60s, and that has only been lifted on the 29th June. So upwards or downwards, there could not be "choice of vaccine" during this period because there was no choice at all for the public under 60s. Was the call made by the NIAC the good call ? Maybe not, but once it is done there were not many options left for the HSE.

Also, it is not like there was an infinite supply of Pfizer and that AZ was given to 60s instead. It was AZ or nothing in most of the cases, and people in their 60s would be whining here if they were left without protection while AZ vaccines were available because the HSE wanted to wait for Pfizer to be available.

Advertisement