Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Well I don't know Graham. I suppose seeing the reality of the new normal spelled out in our national broadcaster this morning without any facilitation of public debate on whether such measures are even proportional or ethical to begin with just concerns me.

The vaccines seem very effective and you would hope they'll bring about an end to restrictions (I don't think so personally, I think Ireland will remain a joyless dystopia for the long-term because of our over-reaction to COVID and our lack of viable political or media opposition).

However, being allowed to participate in society on the condition of whether or not you've taken part in the clinical trials for the product of one of several multi-national pharmaceutical corporations is in no way ethically acceptable.

Again, the vaccines seem to be destroying the risks associated with COVID and, if so, that's great news. But I guess I'm just hugely allergic to the idea of coercing people, particularly younger people, to rush in and take a vaccine that nobody on Earth can promise you will have no long-term effects on your immune system or reproductive health for example, when they would otherwise not even be risk of a negative outcome from contracting COVID in the first place.

You can't really relax restrictions by bringing in an incredibly restrictive condition for engaging with society, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

In a few more weeks it will be all about the schools, so if they can delay reopening they can kick the pubs off the cliff for real and extinguish any hope of them opening this year. After that, they'll latch on to "long covid" as an excuse (they are already sowing the seeds of this) and if that doesn't work it will then turn to not being safe until children up to 18 are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I could be wrong but does scanning the code give you any further information than whats already there?

A quick look at the cert on my phone tells my name, DOB, Vaccination status and date of vaccination. I believe scanning the code give you the exact same information so it would all seem a little pointless!

Copy of your cert either paper or digital as per the app and another form of id and one ye go would surely make more sense albeit what makes sense during seems to be open for debate, anyone for a plate of chicken nuggets with their pints??

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sekiro

I makes me think that there will be plenty out there who got vaccinated purely out of fear of being called an anti-vaxxer.

She is essentially saying she doesn't think the vaccine works. On RTE. It's fine because she got vaccinated anyway so it's not an anti-vax talking point.

I wonder if they even consider how this looks to people who are hesitant? Sure, I got the vaccine but I still wouldn't feel safe, you know. Might be best to just keep avoiding people. OK. So what's the point again?

They've painted themselves into a corner where they want you to get vaccinated but they also don't want to commit to lifting restrictions. So the vaccine is the way out of this but also won't make a difference.

I'm vaxxed and your vaxxed but it's not safe to go to a restaurant together. That'll get them queuing for their vaccines!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ahhh ok, privacy conspiracy theory, big pharma conspiracy theory, and antivax. Now I see where you're coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Is Niall Boylan still talking about this ?

Or has he been bullied to shut up ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm sure we'll find out once it's out in the wild.

I'm expecting the scanner to check scanned certs against issued certs to make sure it's valid/genuine but that's purely guesswork on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sekiro

There will be plenty of old folk who absolutely lived for their social life. Whether that be the local pub or church or other community activities.

Their lives would have revolved around seeing people and going places and being visited by the grandkids etc.

Some of those will have died having spent the final months of their lives stuck in the house on their own.

Quality of life is bloody important yet all this concern for the elderly completely disregards it. It should have been a matter of personal choice and we should have come up with better ways to protect those who needed or wanted it.

Not lock yer granda who loves his church and his pub in the house with Netflix and Facebook for the last few months of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭celt262

You need to move on from McDonalds and Burger King!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

A few weeks more... we've been listening to that since April 2020

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

A friend in the UK just told me her Dad (in his 70s in Ireland) is a while fully vaccinated but is now too afraid to book anything or go anywhere because of "the numbers".

I actually despair, what are we doing to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭celt262

I'd say most will be scanning pockets to see how much money you are going to spend in the pub/restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tin foil hat bla bla bla but seriously, covid has been the vehicle for the most unbelievable wholesale forfeiture of liberty since WWII.

A global sh1tting of the bed fueled by the hysteria typical of social media.

Sad and sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

You are forgetting the ace in the hole. The flu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

my granny is 101 and got covid in jan in the nursing home - no symptoms just a positive result.

she was furious that her last 2 weeks could have been spent "in prison" (her words) - i'm guessing at 101 - every 2 weeks can possibly be the rest of your life .

Her last year has mostly been devoid of contact with her family bar a designated visitor - who is this benefiting? not her, despite being of that protected granny status we were told this was for.

When you put forward a hypothesis, it's guesswork. When someone else does the same, it's conspiracy theory.

Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We'll be grand once the vulnerable are vaccinated and we'll open up once most adults are vaccinated they said. Anyone who suggested earlier in the year that restrictions would still be in place heading into the middle and late summer was absolutely vilified and scoffed at on here. Yet here we are. Anyone who thinks we won't have restrictions for winter 2021/22 is deluded. The media are seriously ramping up the fear as well this week. As bad as it has ever been with finger wagging and tut tutting about people going on holidays or going for a drink and a bite to eat. Disgusting.

No conspiracy theories proposed here my good sir.

Sekiro's post above succinctly expresses the concerns that I was trying to convey but don't have eloquence to do.

Have a lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

And people are still being called conspiracy theorists, whilst in a few days we have to scan qr codes to enter cafes - even though vaccinated people can also spread the virus. If I’ve learned one thing this year, it’s that there is no safety, and I’m not talking about from mild-moderate respiratory illness - there is no safety in the structure of our society. I guess it was always an illusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dismissing debate and shouting conspiracy is a bit silly now isn't it, given where we are at.

I was one of those who laughed my arse off at the conspiracy theorists. I posted over on the conspiracy forum around this time last year calling them out for their nonsense predictions about vaccine cards and saying they were tinfoil hatters etc. Remembering last year at this time we had indoor dining and other than the silly €9 meal, no real restrictions.

Fast forward 12 months and we have a huge swathe of the country vaccinated and yet we have "no vaccine, no service" laws about to come into place in the country, special "papers" to go on for a cup of coffee somewhere, continued restrictions on people and a media waging a war of fear against the population. We have politicians telling us this winter is going to see continued restrictions. And an unelected bureaucrat calling the shots on public policy in the country

I'm not laughing as the conspiracy theorists anymore. The €9 meal now seems very reasonable given where things are at now. There's something deeply dystopian going on in this country.

Post edited by namloc1980 on

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

But, why would they want to do this? Whatever the overall efficacy of masks is, we know that there’s very little spread outdoors. Restrictions should only be imposed when they can be reasonably justified.

It's global, there is no escaping this sh1t, look at Spain, bringing back the mandatory outdoor mask law, pathetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Well at least the vast majority will be able to live the rest of those years because of the restrictions and vaccines.

*physically survive those years.

This ain't living and I think that was the point Paw Patrol was trying to convey.

In fairness I've been very negative this morning and have admittedly increased the hyperbole in order to blow off steam.

Still and all, it's very concerning to see the steam-rolling of our normal lives continue apace - especially because nobody (in the media or Dáil) seem to be asking "when will it all end" and are instead twisting themselves in knots asking "how can we make every day like even more restrictive and technocratic in order to deliver an economic boost while still making it look like we care about public safety since we've backed ourselves into a corner now with all of the OTT fear-mongering of the last 18 months"... or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Very trusting of you - so why is the date of Birth/Vaccine type on the certificate.

Name and Vaccination date only required to gain admission.

If you want to be picky, check ID.

End of story

Visual check only required of document (hard or soft copy) by staff member.

No hidden QR stuff to be picked up by readers / scanners.

No records retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

A friend of mine, in his early 40's is similar but unable to explain the basis of his fear. When pressed repeatedly he disengages from the conversation or goes quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

It is all getting a bit woolly round the edges now isn't it. Clarity has been very slowly eroded away since we abandoned the Level system and started vaccinating.

But I have to remain hopeful that we're no longer in the middle of a pandemic, and are instead somewhere in the last quarter (maybe last third on pessimistic days)

I really don't like the idea of this vaccine discrimination to access indoor refreshments. And I use that word refreshments because I wouldn't be a big diner/drinker as such - but I do love a good coffee shop or café. I wont' be fully vaxxed until the end of August and I also won't be able to access a DCC or QR code because I was vaccinated outside the HSE/GP system by my employer. I've still got a vax card and my job have said they will give me a letter but to be honest I'm worried that my "papers" won't be good enough for some places. All this talk of scanners and what-not is giving me visions of several COMPUTER SAYS NO moments in my future. Let's hope I'm worrying about nothing. I might just stick to outdoors and hope this division is abandoned before the weather turns too cold.

And kids too - are they allowed to go to restaurants on their own ? Do they have to be accompanied by adults when they want to hang out in Eddie Rockets or McDonalds with their friends and enjoy a burger ? Seems a bit silly.

Please let next year be better. The promise that 2021 held at the beginning of the year died a slow and lingering death. Yes we opened up a good bit but all the spontaneous joy has been sucked out of everything.

I live in hope...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

At the end of the day it is not in the interests of the business to be picky about vaccine certs. I can imagine in reality, you will just flash the cert and in you go. Seems all a bit pointless really and just an ass covering exercise. Just like the health questionnaire that the GAA implemented and that half the parents/players don't bother with anymore.

Advertisement