Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@GreeBo wrote

It's like you trust COVID more than the vaccines. It's bizarre.

I've noticed that a lot of antivaxxers value "natural" approaches even when they're known to be useless or dangerous, hence you see phrases like "naturally acquired immunity" which are a great bunch of words. There's some crossover with enthusiasm for homeopathy, for instance.

It's illogical but not inconsistent. Probably comes from a distrust of authority, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but is useless if not informed.by relevant evidence or qualified expert advice.

Anyway, I blame the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" meme. It's a total fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

How did your 12 year old get the Vaccine in Ireland? Through Pfizer itself directly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No evidence at present that we can or will bother, especially if it becomes just another winter virus that behaves like a cold. It'll still be there in pockets around the world and it is neither smallpox nor polio but we should certainly have the ability to treat it a whole lot better and blunt its effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

NOBODY on here has said they are an antivaxxer. Most people seem to be happy to take the vaccine themselves but have an issue with giving the vaccine to their children.

This is the last time Im posting here because there are a few posters who refuse to see parents valid concerns and just keep on failing to see the reality. The covid vaccines are very new and were rushed through approval and thats a fact. They have NOT been tried and tested over a decent period of time - this is what is worrying parents. We dont want to risk a few years down the line regretting we ever gave the vaccine to our children because it caused health issues which could potentially ruin their lives. There are some parents out there now who regret giving their children the swine flu vaccine! Some people seem fixated on the fact that there are no side affects soon after taking the vaccine which is brilliant - but what about affects down the line in a child who is still growing and developing - we simply dont know at this stage what could happen down the line. Other vaccines went through long term trials so comparing these vaccines to other vaccines is nonsense.

YES we know covid also poses risks but the chances of adverse outcomes in kids due to covid are low.

Thats me done on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

Good. And dont pretend you are speaking for parents, because you are not.

Im a parent of young children and I will be happy for them to have it if and when it is approved for their age group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

@Deeec wrote

NOBODY on here has said they are an antivaxxer.

Nobody ever admits to being an antivaxxer, they always cite reasonable concerns.

You stated earlier in the thread that you would reject advice from your GP to get vaccinated. What other qualified medical advice would you reject? Would you reject chemotherapy if you had cancer? If not, what's your criteria for rejecting qualified medical advice? Woowoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Both my children will be vaccinated as soon as it is rolled out here for their age groups. I’m not concerned re death or whether it causes a mild infection in children but rather the long term consequences / potential for long covid. The Examiner had a piece last week from a paediatrician in Cork re the increase in children that she has treated suffering from the after effects of Covid - a number of whom had a very mild initial infection. Interesting reading from someone with first hand experience. Why would I potentially expose my children to that ?

I have family in the US whose children have been vaccinated with no problems. Does that indicate that there is no risk associated with the vaccine - of course not. But it’s far less than the potential risk from Covid itself or indeed the outcome of a section of society not being vaccinated at all.

This is not just about children's health.

This is about the Public Health, which means everyone's health.

You can't separate children from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

I would not be keen at all. I’m fully vaccinated myself but there is not enough data in terms of the long term effects of administering these vaccines on kids.

If the risk is very for children I would be saying No for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

Actual parents of young kids?

Do you think yours is the first generation of parents to have questions and concerns over new vaccines?

Because you're not.

Tell me, do you have daughters? When they're old enough will you get them the HPV vaccine?

If you do, I hope you remember this thread, and thank all those girls who got it first, and the parents who allowed them have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Where is the long term data that you used to justify taking the vaccine yourself?

How do you propose we gather long term data on children? Let me guess, other people's children?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

You don't think immunity can be acquired naturally?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The Pfizer vaccine is the only one approved in children 12+ because they were the first ones out the gate with studies in that age group. That doesn't mean the others are unsafe and it should not be the first conclusion to jump to.

Moderna have done a study in children in children aged 12+ and found it to be safe and effective, but it has to be approved by regulators first. It looks like Japan will be the first country to approve Moderna in this age group.

Both Moderna and Pfizer are conducting trials in children from 6 months to 11 years but these are ongoing. J&J are planning to start a study in teenagers shortly. None of these will be approved until shown to be safe.

This is how science works. You do the work. You gather the data. AND THEN you give it to patients. You don't see what the Bible says about it. You don't see what some herbalist on Instagram thinks. You follow the science.

Of course it can, although apparently the effects are weaker than vaccination. But this also carries the 100% certain side effect of getting infected with a virus that is known to cause organ damage.

If infection was superior to vaccination we wouldn't bother with vaccination, we'd just inject people with live viruses. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Am happy that the 12-15 has been tried & tested & EMA approved, will chat to GP & if they support will encourage my 12+ yr olds to have it when approved here & their turn comes. Same as HPV & other approved & recommended vaccines. I cannot pretend to be a scientist nor a medical expert of any sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

(Bad site interface) "How come Pfizer are you saying the other ones aren't safe"

Because that was what would have been offered, seeing as we can't pick and choose our vaccine in Ireland. Typical anti-vaxx logic there, though - "They said X, I'll make this amazing leap of logic and put words in their mouth and imply they said Y" 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I would only vaccinate my children (which I do not have) if they'd be particularly vulnerable due to some underlying condition.

however if I'd have a teen who was really adamant about getting vaccinated, I might allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭grofus2

I have a 4 year old so I guess I'm allowed to voice an opinion. For parity, you should ask the same question to folk with the needle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It cracks me up when people say "I'm not an anti-vaxxer" before spouting the most dreadful anti-vax nonsense. It's like the drunk auld fella in the bar who starts off with "now I'm not a racist but..."

What you are is defined by what you say and do. If you're an anti-science scaremongerer in vaccine discussions, then you're an anti-vaxxer.

I have kids who are 8, 6 and 3. If/when studies show it's safe, I'll get them vaccinated. Just like I didn't sit there asking stupid questions about the MMR vaccine and autism, just like I didn't tell the GP that kids aren't really at risk of diptheria anymore so why bother, just like I didn't think Bill Gates was going to take control of my kids with the polio vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

yep .... and what about the other effects of covid ? Polio has a fairly low death rate too ... should we stop vaccinating for Polio ?

Chicken pox has a death rate of about 1:60,000 of infections or globaly about 8000 in 1990 .... should we stop vaccinating for chickenpox?

Thats a message that all governments have been pushing. How can a child be responsible for the health of an adult. If folk cannot see that as a coercion tactic there's no hope.

As for the EMA, I have the link to a document sent to Emer Cooke by a large group of Medical experts with several key questions regarding the safety of the covid vaccines. It is clear they have very serious concerns.

I'd love to post it but this site is currently denying me that capability. Its on a site called Doctors 4 covid ethics. Look for "urgent open letter"

Message to moderators. This is a forum to encourage open debate. People deserve an equal chance to post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Before you make up your mind, you must first open it. Good luck to you, sir.

@grofus2 wrote

As for the EMA, I have the link to a document sent to Emer Cooke by a large group of Medical experts with several key questions regarding the safety of the covid vaccines. It is clear they have very serious concerns.

Here's the letter:

...and here's the EMA's response:

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/other/reply-open-letter-doctors-covid-ethics-concerning-covid-19-vaccines_en.pdf

The Virality Project, https://www.viralityproject.org/, whose stated objective "is to detect, analyze, and respond to incidents of COVID-19 vaccine disinformation" wrote about this letter in a March 2021 briefing under the heading Repeat Offenders:

a group by the name of “Doctors for Covid Ethics” released a letter arguing that the safety of mRNA vaccines was not sufficiently tested​. The letter, which has received more than 11K interactions across anti-vax and medical freedom Facebook Groups, masks vaccine misinformation in medical jargon to attempt to add legitimacy to unsubstantiated claims. The signees are European doctors who have ​made debunked claims about COVID-19 in the past​. 

source: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/60025974f9f7920e6b40885b/t/6051092051a65b78712b58a0/1615923493973/Virality+Project+-+March+16+Weekly+Briefing.pdf

So, you're just parroting more antivax nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 KellyKelly

Chicken Pox Vaccine is not part of your child's normal Vaccine Routine. Its not mandatory , I woudnt call you anti vax if you didnt vaccinate your child with Chicken Pox Vaccine.

Polio has serious effects on Children around the age of 5, Life threatening issues. Its part of your child's Vaccine Routine.

Studys show Children who have Covid have less symptoms than adults, or no symptoms at all?

Its not being Anti Vaxx, The question is, ''Is it Necessary?'' for your ''Herd Immunity'' , I don't see any Herd immunity yet for the Influenza?

I wouldn't bring my Child every year for the Influenza Vaccine? Nor would I Vaccinate against Chicken Pox?

If you don't feel Happy in this moment of time to Vaccinate your child you shoudnt be claimed an Anti Vaxxer.

The overall message in that response is " there is a limited amount of data". The essence of my posts.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Once they are sixteen they can decide for themselves.

Advertisement