Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charge Point Removed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sorry to see that OP, I hope your house insurance will cover it. This was the main reason I didn't put mine at the front door. Even with CCTV I didn't think it would be safe enough.

Some good suggestions about the tamper resistant screws, unfortunately I'd say the scumbags would still destroy the unit even if the didn't get away with it.

Someone mentioned catalytic converter theft. Unfortunately I think charger theft will become far more common as they become more numerous, especially on high end expensive units.

It's part of the regulations that the isolation switch has to be there, if you get it done with the grant it has to be installed. I don't agree with them myself.

Fuel theft is pretty common already, more so in large volumes like HGVs and heating oil tanks.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

moped muggers in the uk have no problems with putting holes in tanks of cars to keep their mopeds rolling. They really are human vermin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Hi Mr Thompson, I live out this way too and I spoke with the local community Garda today who said there hasn’t been any reports of this in their locality, did you forget to report it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The EV sitting in a driveway is a bigger giveaway then an app.

The Gardaí could most likely go out tomorrow and get the person who stole the OPs unit, the Gardaí now most of the thieves from running them through the system so often. The reason they don't is because they know that nothing will happen to the thief after they arrest them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Tazium

The app doesn’t need visibility of a car in someone’s driveway. Can be used by anyone, from anywhere, to profile and target those homes displaying with a home charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Agreed, sure they drive around estates looking for this kind of thing.

Who does ?

Why would you want your house on a public map ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This was and remains inevitable, we called this out many times before, there's just a couple of screws, actually surprised it took the 10 minutes.

CCTV will be useless because of the inept Garda attitude in this country.

Tamperproof screws also a waste as you can pick up a full set of heads from likes of AliExpress for pittance.

I'm moving my charge point in next month or so and as I have access to the rear will be fitting via long bolts.

Sorry to hear OP

• Advertisement

Yes of course I did?

I actually just spoke to a detective ,he asked me if it was a Tesla box and was surprised when I said no.

Apparently they are the most common ones to be taken as they as the most "flashy" looking .

I've never heard of it but I guess not everyone is on the internet telling people they got fleeced.

Funny enough the Garda I spoke with did mention something about Tesla but I just thought he didn’t know anything about EVs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Catalytic convertors are stolen for the materials inside, there aren't many valuable materials in a charge point. I don't see there being a huge market for 2nd hand stolen charge points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Two to three years time the near new secondhand cars from the UK imported in to Ireland will be PHEVs, there will be huge demand for charge points even if they are over specified for the job of charging a PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Sorry for the robbery. Its not a surprise this day and age and I say its not the first time or the last. Can happen anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭WattsUp

Maybe contact MyEnergi...If somebody ever connects it to a HUB they should know and the end user may have to hand it back even if they know nothing about it, apart from buying it from a dodgy guy on the internet!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd be very surprised if we end up with a significant grey market for chargers which leads to theft becoming as common as @Buffman thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Tethered CP with unit in the house and cable through wall?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's feck all EVs and they are stealing the charge points already , is there still free installation?, so when we get up to the amount the government wants and no subsidiaries for charge points of course they will be stolen.

If the price of metal goes up they'll start cutting the charging cables off when in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There is a row of new houses built near me that all have EV chargers at the front.

3 of them were stolen in one night about a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭cannco253

If an electrician needs to certify the installation of the charger/EVSE to get the SEAI grant, do they need to know where the unit is coming from?

How do they know it's in working order and safe to install if it's a secondhand unit? If a secondhand Zappi caught fire who would be on the hook?

The charger itself is obviously worth money to a thief. CATs are stolen for their materials, chargers are stolen for the charger, the reason they're being stolen doesn't matter too much to the victims. There is a 2nd hand market for them and the OPs one sounds like it was stolen to order. Any valuable object bolted outside your house will be a target. We're up to 4 stolen already in this thread and it's only a few days old.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

If you have a Nissan Leaf charging outside your house, the Leaf is more likely to be stolen than the charge point.

I'd have to disagree. By that logic if you had a Toyota Prius outside your house the whole car is more likely to be stolen than just it's catalytic converter. We've seen how that pans out in the real world. It's all about risk Vs reward for these thefts. 10 minutes outside someones house robbing a charger/car parts is far less risky than going into someones house looking for car keys. I'd agree some people still leave their keys within 'fishing' distance of the front door, but hopefully that's less common now.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Mod Note: Removed, do not make personal comments about other posters

Post edited by liamog on

Shocking stuff!

I got my Zappy installed 2 weeks ago and it's got a serial number that I'm sure is registered somewhere, it shows up on the app for the HUB so might be worth it for People to record the serial numbers and maybe if it connects to the internet via the hub that it can be detected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭cannco253

I’ve asked Aviva if chargers are covered by home insurance. They have to check with the underwriters and come back to me as they haven’t been asked the question before, according to the person I spoke with.

• Advertisement

There have been lots of cases of Nissan Leaf's stolen over the past few years. This Zappi theft and materials stripped from a building site are the first reports I've heard of charge points being stolen.

Keyless car theft is an even easier task than removing the charge point from the wall. Home intrusion is not required to drive off with someone's car.

As problems go, I'm not sure why you want to overinflate this?

Dont know the make. The houses are only built in the last two years or so, so the chargers must be relatively new.

All the new houses in that estate have them. I think ive only ever seen about 2 EVs there though. Most people who live there dont even know what this little box beside their front door is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Tazium

New houses in recent years have been pre-wired for electric car charging with the power terminated in an externally visible small grey box. Looks like an external socket.

pre-installing chargers limits choice by the consumer and would seem an unusual choice by a builder. Any chance of the name of area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Robbing the charging cables is big biz in the UK, handy money at a couple of hundred pounds a pop.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2021-03/electric-vehicle-charging-cable-theft-is-on-the-rise/

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭drogon.

Are there any length limitation on the charging cable ?

Was thinking maybe it will be best to place them at the side of the house, behind the side gate (if you have one) and then find a way to route the cable only when you need to charge the car.

Not going to tell you where I live :) They are council houses in North Dublin though.

Mod Note: If you have a problem with a post flag it for review please

Post edited by liamog on

As a source goes that's pretty lacking, no statistics at all provided. Is it 1000 cables stolen or 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Considering the cost of these chargers surely there should be some security devices? Tamper alarms or something. Even robot mowers have alarms and pin codes.

Slightly off topic but people saying CCTV is useless. It is to an extent. Footage of someone wearing a cap and mask won't help but if you have the ability to setup alerts such as object removal, face detection, line crossing etc then you'll know the moment someone is stopped outside your house.

A few times people have said something is happening or someone is checking cars in the crime group for my estate then hours later at 8-9am several people say they saw someone on their camera. Sure what good is that to anyone. What's frustrating is I'm near a Garda station, they'll be there in 3-5 minutes but if nobody is aware of what's going on then they can't call...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Reports on Irish EV Facebook group from 2019 of chargers being stolen and whole cars, Tesla, Leaf, Ioniq, along with some charge cables. These are stolen to order by professionals.

Try not to get a chargers that lights up, but as others said these groups regularly pass by houses and look for items of value such as specific cars with easy to steal catalytic converters, things on show worth robbing. They often go inside houses and take car keys too. They can use battery grinders to cut chains and boxes and often cut open the sides of vans to get tools.

The good thing about CCTV is you don't need to set it and it does not give false alarms. It does not prevent thefts, Alarms might make them hurry up or leave but they know Gardai response is minutes to never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They only cost 600 euro fitting is extra. But there is something like 7,000 bikes stolen annually in Ireland. Many of these are worth more than €1500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The cheaper ones are €600. €300 for 10 minutes of dishonest work is plenty to attract the scrotes who steal your property, often leaving multiples of that in damages behind. Zappis cost over a grand afaik.

Stay Free

€600 is a lot of money to lose, regardless of whether it's a charger, a phone, a TV etc. No reason it shouldn't be secured properly or have an alarm or lockout of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

absolutely, I was making reference to the Garda and how they are not interested in bike theft that is happening I. Much higher volume. So I don’t think they are too bothered here.

all electronic devices should have onboard GPS for theft recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

In a few weeks ask Gardaí to request the details of any new user. They may not register but it's possible they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If an e-car is stolen is it being broken up for parts? I kind of assumed that they would be the type of car that wouldn't be stolen for joyriding or to use in a crime

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Someone I know had an i40 diesel fleet car with 200,000km stolen from a hotel. It was brought up North for parts. Gardai knew the chap. They'll steal anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry to repeat, I know it's been asked a few times but the OP hasn't answered (I don't think).

Have you contacted MyEnergi? Their customer service is excellent. They may be able to trace the charger if it is installed again down the line, or they may even offer you something as a goodwill gesture. Maybe not, but there's certainly no harm in informing them.

They're a great company so if nothing else they can consider future improvements to security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not economic to import cars from Britain any more, as they're subject to VAT.

Also, "Gardai knew the chap." Naturally! 🙄

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

By the way this was a wind up.

I was replacing a faulty zappy and took the picture.

😂

It could easily happy but not in this instance .

And on that note , im off.

Mr.T

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement