Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

Anyone know where I can get good quality lumpwood?

Woodies stocked the weber stuff but has switched to a bag of what is mostly dust and pebble sized peices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

12 years ago I knew no better, but there hasn't been a rib boiled in this house in a very long time 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

On the northside (of Dublin) try Eddies Smokeless Fuels - on Hole in the Wall Road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's great to know your rehabilitation is complete.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Hi lads, selling my Weber Master-Touch GBS E-5755 Charcoal Barbecue 57 cm on adverts if anyone interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fun on the smoker yesterday. Smoked pineapple goes great with pork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've had my weber the guts of 10 years and I don't think I've ever cooked ribs on it!

I'm sure it's been talked about in this thread already but I find boards incredibly difficult to search, but can people recommend what I need to do for ribs?

I guess starting with where to get the meat, can I go into an average butcher and ask for pork ribs and get what I want?

What rubs would you recommend?

And what method of cooking do you suggest for doing them on a weber kettle.

Thanks!

(The thought flashed through my mind of using Cunninghams law (<-- this is a link, they are really impossible to see!!?) and tell you all I was going to boil them :D)

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ask your butcher for a rack of baby back ribs. Every butcher will have them.

The cooking method most discussed on here is smoking, which is to cook them for a long time at a low temperature over indirect heat (with some wood to generate smoke if you have it).

Lovely consistent 8 hour smoke at 230F on Saturday. With the Bar-Be-Quick lumpwood. 😘 Used maybe half a bag of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Look up the 3-2-1 method - it's regularly brought up here. I've used it a couple of times but I'm not expert. You may hear the following on here:

1. 3-2-1 is probably too long unless you've got a lot of ribs
    2. You don't really need to wrap them (called the texas crutch)
    3. Use apple juice, cider vinegar, [insert ingredients of personal favourite concoction here]

In my limited experience, as long as you can keep the temperature steady 3-2-1 is fine. So is barbecue sauce from a bottle if that's your taste.

Ask for babyback ribs. Make sure the membrane is taken off the back/take it off.

Rub the ribs with some American style mustard, then a dry rub. A simple Georgia style rub will do. Brown sugar (50% of the rub), paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, maybe cayenne or something a bit spicy.

Cook at 230F ish for 3 or 4 hours, wrap in foil for the 2nd to last hour if you wish and then uncover and baste with some BBQ sauce in the last hour or so and a little bit more to taste when theyre cooked.

The 3-2-1 method is in my experience too long for the size of ribs you'll get here.

I personally go for ~75mins-75mins-15mins. Doesn't have to be exactly this, you can go 90-90-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

3-2-1 definitely too long in my experience. Overall they take 4-5 hours for me. I find wrapping is useful, particularly to keep the apple juice / cider vinegar with it.

Rub wise I like the Angus & Oink stuff if you don't want to do your own. Sauce wise mic's chilli do a lovely bbq one. But it's expensive to buy, so I tend to make my own from a weber recipe. The thing that really makes it delicious is the teaspoon of mic's hot sauce in it!

And I don't bother taking off the membrane. I have done, but I don't think it makes enough of a difference to be worth it.

I think removing the membrane makes a massive difference. It doesnt cook so youll end up with bits of it in your teeth. And it blocks the smoke from the underside of the ribs so it will impact the taste of the ribs. It only takes a few seconds per rack to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

Sure I'll do it again next time and see if I notice much of a difference. I don't mind it in my teeth. In fact, I kind of enjoy the slight pull from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

I cant work this new boards to well, any above is my best attempt yet at a brisket

5.5lb brisket flat from higgins

Turned out pretty good but i think next time i'll brine its and make pastrami though

How many hours did that take @Shakey_jake ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any tips for a newbie on food items to cook on the BBQ that are relatively quick and easy, I mainly stick to just burgers and sausages but looking to branch out!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Steaks?? i do steak all the time, mainly Rib eyes and sirloins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Boned and skinned chicken thighs. Marinade in either bbq sauce or a curry paste for a few hours. Then on to the grill for 20/25 minutes turning frequently to cook through.

Serve the bbq sauce ones in a burger bun with plastic cheese and crispy bacon.

The curry ones go well with boiled basmati rice that has the curry paste run through it and some sliced grilled peppers and chopped coriander.

20-25 minutes in direct heat? I'd plan for 5 minutes

they/them/theirs

Any meat you'd cook in a pan of an oven. If you cook it in a pan or under a grill, cook it directly over the coals.

If you cook it in the oven make a 2 zone setup, coals on one side, and cook it indirectly

they/them/theirs

Ive yet to eat home bbq that hasnt dried out chicken if cooked from raw on a bbq.

Really? Its pretty east to get right. Especially with bone in chicken.

My mate is the best bbq chicken cook I've ever met. I hate cooking chicken breasts, but his are always perfect

they/them/theirs

Its easy alright but anything over 165c is overdone for me. Very difficult on a bbq.

165f?

either way it’s not that hard. Have you tried a butter milk brine? That makes it even easier.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I usually do them on the gas barbie, low and slow. I wouldn’t be happy after 5 mins that they’d be cooked through…..

Advertisement