Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

(The state of me having to use a blurry screenshot to post my list just so I can have it in a table).

GAME: Angry Video Game Nerd: Adventures || PLATFORM: PC

I got the original version as well as the sequel, before I realised that they were updated and repackaged in a Deluxe bundle, serving as a remaster in the process. So I picked up the Deluxe versions and made a start on the first game.

Very challenging 2D action-platformer that's a lot of fun at the same time. If you're a fan of AVGN you'll enjoy the many references it has as well.

Great game overall.

Post edited by Gamer Bhoy 89 on

#45 Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle || Nintendo Switch

I thought that maybe this time might be the time I actually enjoy it.

Nope, it's one of the biggest piles of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of playing from the 16-bit generation. I've had the actual game itself since I was 6 years old and I never liked it that much even back then. The Janken minigame is probably the worst thing about it. You don't fight the level bosses, you play Rock, Paper Scissors against them and if you lose, you lose a life, which is absolute bullshit especially if it's something as random as f*cking Rock, Paper, Scissors.

The only time you do get to actually fight a boss is at the very end, but you still have to play RPS against him before that even happens, and they gave him four arms because, you know, Rock Paper Scissors.... ugh.. 😠

The controls are horrible; very slippy and awkward to control. I spent about 20 seconds trying to reach an item that was up on a platform all because I kept slipping off the lower platforms. The hit detection is almost non-existent. No wonder it almost went completely obscure thanks to Sonic. Sonic and Mario are exactly how platforming should be done. Alex Kidd was a bad game then and is an even worse game now. Why I beat it yesterday, I'll never know. I was waiting for visitors to come to my house and I decided to play that while I waited. Since I was playing it on the Mega Drive Collection on Switch, you're damn right I abused the save states.

It was even more jarring considering I had just beaten AVGN Adventures prior - a much more solid platformer by comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the Maegdrive game was never fondly remembered and thrashed by everyone. It's the Master System one that everyone likes and even at that it's because of nostalgia as for master system kids it was their not quite mario. It's not a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

Too much spare time this year, got to clear a small bit of my gaming backlog Though.

All on PC

1. Quake II RTX

2. Metro Exodus Enhanced

3. Ion Maiden

4. Mass Effect Legendary Edition

5. Gears 5

6. Cyberpunk 2077

7. A Plague Tale Innocence

8. Doom Eternal

9. Brutal Doom

10. Carrion

11. Doom 64

12. Dishonoured, Death of the Outsider

13. Dead Cells

14. Control

15. Destroy all Humans

16. Halo MC

17. Maneater

18. Prodeus

19. Jedi Fallen Order

20. Immortal Redneck

21. Black Mesa

22. The Medium

23. Wolfenstein The Old Blood

24. Wolfenstein The New Order

25. Zombie Army 4

26. Death Stranding

27. Ghostrunner

28. Deliver us to the Moon

29. F.E.A.R.

30. Hard Reset Redux

31. Prey (2006)

The only game I'm partly interested in is Shinobi World. I found it funny it didn't release on the MD and instead was reverted back as a Master System exclusive (and not even released in Japan despite being developed there). Not sure why they did that but either way the gameplay looks a lot more fun than the MD game. God I hate it so much...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At the time Shinobi World was released the Master System was only really a presence in Europe. The Mark 3 was dead in japan a long time.

#47 | AVGN II: ASSimilation (AVGN I & II Deluxe) | PC

Gameplaywise it's almost the exact same as the first one. A lot more was added to this game including double the collectibles and the new addition of upgrades. It maintains the non-linear style of the first game in that you can complete any level in any order. So many references to movies, games and AVGN episodes, even more than before.

It's definitely a lot harder as well, with most of the challenge being trying to get some of the collectibles as they're placed in ridiculous spots that require a lot of trial and error to get to.

I loved all of this. Got 100% as well.

#48 | AVGN: Tower of Torment: The Final Chapter | PC

Forgot this was added. Basically an extra level you unlock for completing both games. I can see why it was added, as the character who ends up being the final boss was strangely omitted from the two games despite being a fairly well known character within AVGN's content.

Basically an extra chapter to AVGN II. Not sure if I should've included it as a separate game but it is featured as such, so I'm counting it.

Post edited by Gamer Bhoy 89 on

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    8. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4
    9. Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC
    10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    12. Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC
    13. Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4
    14. Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    16. Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC
    17. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    19. God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3
    20. Resident Evil Village|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    22. Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    27. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    28. Halo 5: Guardians|XBox One
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuskTales 2|NES

DuckTales 2

Another amazing platformer from Capcom. It's quite a late NES game so is a bit of a looker. However the soundtrack isn't as good as the original but still great. The same DuckTales gameplay is present and it's still as nice to control as ever. There's way more secrets to find now in an attempt to increase the longevity of the game. Level design however just isn't as good as the original with levels not feeling as open or memorable.

The only mistake this game makes is being the sequel to one of the best platform games of all time. Take on it's own merits, it's a top tier NES platformer.

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    32. Turok Dinosaur Hunter|PC

Turok Dinosaur Hunter

This is a game I've often dismissed. It was the first big N64 game released after the Mario 64 and Pilotwings launch titles and at the time reviews were very warm but not glowing, scores were in around the 80 mark. I thought the reception would be inflated as there was very little on the N64 at the time, kind of like the awful Disruptor on PS1. And it was from Acclaim who were vendors of garbage.

I tried Turok on the N64 a couple of years ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The excellent Night Dive port of the game was a great excuse to finally finish the game and I'm really pleasantly surprised, it's a great shooter. Turok really has a unique look and feel to it, it's a very bright and colourful world. Plenty of fog as well if you play on N64! Each of the eight stages are massive, they start off fairly linear but really become open and sprawling towards the end with a final stage that is labyrinthian. Plenty of secrets to find. There's a few too many jumping sections but with a keyboard and mouse they are far more manageable on PC than on a gamepad. The weapons are all fantastic. Turok hails from a time before FPS weapons got boring so there's a huge amount of variety. The standard bow, pistol, shotgun, rifle all feel great. The alien weapons are fun to mess around with and have excellent particle effects. One of the weapons really dates the game, every FPS at the time had to have a weapon that aped the railgun from Eraser and Turok's particle effects do a great job of it. There's a great variety of enemies with some exceptional animations for the time. Death animations and gore effects loot great. There's even some good boss fights, although the penultimate T-Rex fight is very weak to the power of circle strafing.

Overall Turok surprised me and it's a fantastic old school shooter but with it's own look and feel. Well worth playing and it's great to play a FPS that has a lot of fun with it's weapons (I know ratchet and clank does as well but meh.... I just don't get those games).

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM

1. Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2. Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3. Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4. Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5. FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6. AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7. Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8. Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9. State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10. Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11. Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12. Crash 4 | PS5
    13. Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14. Dex | Switch
    15. Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16. Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17. Outriders | Xbox Series X
    18. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    19. Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20. Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)
    21. Disco Elysium Director's cut | PS5
    22. Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    25. Zelda: Links awakening (remake) | Switch

Zelda: Links awakening

Rolled credits on this last night, love the remade art style reminded me of animal crossing, very enjoyable if a bit obscure especially the trading sequence.

I remember playing the original on the game boy colour, its a great way to experience this little adventure would not be my favourite zelda but its pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM

1. Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2. Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3. Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4. Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5. FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6. AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7. Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8. Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9. State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10. Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11. Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12. Crash 4 | PS5
    13. Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14. Dex | Switch
    15. Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16. Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17. Outriders | Xbox Series X
    18. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    19. Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20. Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)
    21. Disco Elysium Director's cut | PS5
    22. Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    25. Zelda: Links awakening (remake) | Switch
    26. Mass Effect 3 :Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X

Mass Effect 3 :Legendary Edition

Finished this last night, Loved every minute of it. Its mad to think that I first finished this trilogy nearly 10 years ago I am getting old.

The enhancements were great and having all the dlc included fleshed out the story a good bit.

The combat in this is what I like to call mass effect call of duty edition its balls to the wall and the stakes are high.

Was emotional enough finishing it out but after running through the trilogy again its mad to think they then released Andromeda after this stellar trilogy allbeit mass effect 1 is janky enough even with the legendary edition update.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4

A plague tale innocence - Xbox one

Fifa 20 - Xbox one

Hotshot racing - Xbox one

Mafia - PS4

Resident evil 3 - PS4

The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one

Hitman 2 - PS4

What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox one

Beyond 2 souls - PS4

Ion Fury - PS4

Mad Max - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just finished, and got the "good" ending for Journey to the Savage Planet. Pretty good game in fairness, didn't outstay it's welcome to be fair. I dragged it on a bit going for the 100%, only to find out there are co-op trophies so it was pointless! but the game itself was good. Combat was alright, limited. Places were nice to explore, and it was just a good bit of fun. Nice humour too, but I'd imagine some people wouldn't like it. It has me interested in a sequel anyway! Only €12 on sale at the mo so worth that anyway.

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    33. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box|Android

Professor Layton and Pandora's Box

I enjoyed the first Layton game but wasn't totally enamoured with it. Pandora' Box is more of the same and while it's very much improved over the original, it's still not as amazing as it should be.

In this game Layton and Luke are on the trail of a mysterious box that is said to kill anyone that opens it which leads them to a mysterious train and town.

The puzzles again are the star of the show and are mostly excellent. There's two types of puzzles I didn't get on with though. One is a checkers type puzzle and others involve moving a chess knight around a board. These are perfectly fine in their early iterations but the later larger ones are insane as you have to make 50 or more moves perfectly to complete them.

The music as well has been greatly improved over the first game where it kind of grated after a while. There's a few fun new minigames as well, One has you helping a fat hamsters and the tea mini game was good as well other than the NPCs getting thirsty being based on RNG.

The biggest downfall of the game as it was with the first one and every other Level 5 IP game is the story. As proven in other level 5 games like Ni No Kuni and Rogue Galaxy and also the near riot he started with Gundam fans because Gundam AGE, Akihiko Hino is an awful, awful writer. Pandora's Box in fairness is a lot better than Mysterious Village but it suffers from the same issue. For a game based on solving mysteries there's no real incentive or push in the story to solve said mysteries. It needs to dangle out story vignettes and cliffhangers like Ace Attorney does but it never becomes at interesting. The main plot just like in the first game is all wrapped up in the final few puzzles after being totally absent for most of the run time. At least the ending doesn't fall totally flat like in the original but there was a lot of potential here squandered and it just isn't satisfying.

So Layton yet again has great puzzles and very poor writing. The strength of the puzzles does at least make it well worth playing. It's just a shame that there's an amazing game that could be built around this concept that just can't be realised when you have a hack like Akihiko Hino working on the writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah the knight one is one I didn't like. Was in the Testament of Sherlock Holmes as well.

But for me, the Layton puzzle that I really had no clue about was from the first game

I don't remember that but I must have looked up the answer to it. That's some next level nonsense there!

Finally finished Hollow Knight. Have to say, with a bit of direction, it's a far better game. I understand those who like the exploration side, but to me it was just too big with not enough direction. I don't need hand-holding, and there was a dude up top who more or less directed you where to go, until about half way through the game and he just stops then, keeps telling me to have a rest. Anyway, not as hard as I remember, but most likely due to the natural progression route I was following vs go anywhere get killed by everything route. I am interested in the sequel now, and while it's the Voidheart edition, I've no interest in the rest of the game.

And I just picked up a G29 so I guess I won't be finishing games for a while! Also picked up Blue Fire, but it's not really scratching the itch, and has some annoying things I don't like in games.

I had the same issues as well. It's a great game but far from the best Metroidvania ever. The map is just too big with teleport options being way to sparse. The end game is kind of a let down as well, you get to a point where you are so powerful and know the game so well none of the enemies or bosses are a challenge but you still have half the game to beat and you feel like you are just checking areas off for the sake of completeness instead of actually exploring.

As for the Godseeker DLC. That can **** right off.

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1

Ape Escape

All Monkeys caught and true ending.

Sony's attempt to take on Mario 64 on the PS1 and while it comes no where near that absolute masterpiece Ape Escape at least does it's own thing and is quite a unique game and stands out from the also rans like Spyro and the Rare N64 games.

Ape Escape was made to really sell the Dual Shock controller. This is before anyone knew what to do with the second analogue stick they slapped on there. The obvious answer is to use it for a camera but instead the left stick moves the protagonist while the right stick is used to control a variety of gadgets in pretty clever ways. It makes the gadgets interesting to use as they take full advantage of analogue control but it also means the Camera and it's controls are god awful. All the whingers whining about Mario 64 need to shut up. That game is a masterpiece in camera design and logic compared to this **** show. To make matters worse the camera is constantly aiming at the ground in an attempt to keep the very poor framerate up.

The PS1 was never going to compete with the N64 technically in these types of games but Ape Escape plays to the consoles capabilities. The draw distance is terrible but levels are broken into smaller areas. And while Ape Escape follows the same collectathon aspect of similar Mario 64 knock offs, this time the collectables are monkeys, monkeys that will make your life hell and are full of personality. The game does some really interesting things with monkey behaviour and placement so they never become boring and these little guys are the stars of the show.

Ape Escape is on the verge of being great. It's compelling despite it's flaws and has enough inventiveness to surprise unlike Spyro and those Rare N64 games. However it's let down by the camera. Every mistake and death in this game will be down to that annoying camera. It's a testament to how well the rest of the game is designed that I felt it was well worth powering through these annoyances to see what craziness the game had in store.

It's a minor PS1 classic but one big thing bothers me. Why is it called Ape Escape when you are quite clearly catching Monkeys who aren't part of the Ape family?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sounds better. Ape escape vs monkey escape.

• Advertisement

Plus, by catching monkeys, the apes indeed escape!

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    35. No One Lives Forever|PC

No One Lives Forever

Missed out on this series as it came at a point when I didn't have a modern PC. Heard so much about it for years but of course it became impossible to find. I'm fed up waiting on an official released so took matters into my own hands.

The game has a very different aesthetic to most brown military shooters. It's set in a pastiche of 60's spy fiction. It's a comedy game but never strays into Austin Powers levels of silliness. It' a lot more grounded but that's also not to say that's still really funny. You play as super spy Cate Archer, a woman that has to live in a mans world and all the misogyny that goes with it. It's am interesting premise and the game has a lot of fun with it. It helps that Cate is a great character.

The game is built on the Lithtech engine which I always found a little bit behind the times in the late 90's. The colourful art style helps sand over the weaknesses of the engine. If there's one flaw with the game it's that like with most late 90's games the stealth gameplay is a little flakey. However the gunplay is really solid so it's not a big deal when it all goes south.

At the time of release NOLF was regarded as the best FPS since the original Half-Life and I have to agree. It's such a shame that it's stuck in legal limbo.

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    35. No One Lives Forever|PC
    36. DuckTales Remastered|PC

DuckTales Remastered

I both love and don't love this remaster. I love how the game looks, the 2D sprites are gorgeous and the backgrounds are 3D but still retain a painterly look that matches the TV show. I love how the game plays, the pogo stick movement is still a masterclass in videogame character mechanics. I adore that they got the original voice cast to reprise their roles. But most of all I love how you can dive into Scrooge's money pit and swim around in it.

The game is quite faithful to the original. Level layouts hark back to the original but have been tweaked to make them less difficult and expand on them. However they've also made the levels much more linear whereas I really enjoyed the exploration elements of the original.

The game's biggest sin is the amount of dialogue in the game. It really slows the pace down. Levels can take ages to beat whereas in the original you were given a time limit of about 5 minutes to beat a stage. It makes them way too long. I know wayforward were probably excited about getting the voice cast back but it does interrupt the flow of the game.

Well I say that's the crime but really it's the remix of the moon theme, it just doesn't not sound as good as the amazing NES original.

So overall it's a pretty decent remaster that changes enough that it doesn't negate the original and makes both games worth playing. It's only flaw is that it just falls short of the excellent NES original, a pantheon the vast majority of platform games can't claim to have reached.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Resident Evil 3 - PlayStation 4
    2. Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 4
    3. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4
    4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PlayStation 4
    5. Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor - PlayStation 4
    6. Cube Escape: The Lake - Android
    7. The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach - PlayStation 4
    8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - PlayStation 4
    9. Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime - PlayStation 4
    10. Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love - PlayStation 4
    11. Anodyne - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    12. Dandara - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    13. Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    14. Dead Space 2 - PlayStation 3
    15. Dead Space 3 - PlayStation 3
    16. Medievil - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    17. Broken Age - PlayStation 4
    18. Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only) - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    19. Unmechanical Extended - PlayStation 4
    20. Marvels Avengers - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    21. Far Cry 3 - PlayStation 3
    22. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - PlayStation 3
    23. In Rays of the Light - PlayStation 4
    24. Yoku's Island Express - PlayStation 4
    25. Borderlands 3 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    26. Streets of Rage 4 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    27. Judgement - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

Judgement (PS Now)

Well straight off, I loved this game. The story and cast of characters are excellent, it's gripping throughout and keeps you guessing the whole way through. Most of the dialogue is brilliant and as usual from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio there is loads of quirky humour.

The gameplay is largely the same as the Yakuza series, where it differs though is with the detective side of the game where you need to make the correct choices based on evidence collected although the game doesn't punish incorrect answers.

The side cases, although full of quirky humour, get a little repetitive, especially when you need to tail someone. The 'Friend' mechanic is also too time consuming, so much so that I didn't do all the side cases as it requires you befriending all 50 potential friends.

This game is all about the story though, it really is excellent and I look forward to the sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Last Stop

I’ve complicated feelings about this one. It’s Variable State’s follow up to Virginia, with the backing of Annapurna this time around.

Virginia was very much a formal experiment - using cinematic montage techniques to tell an interactive story, like a feature-length, thriller take on Blendo’s superb Thirty Flights of Loving. This game is a much more traditional story, but it advances some of the visual and compositional lessons of Virginia into a longer-form, more ambitious narrative. Three narratives, in fact, as this is an anthology. But cinematic techniques here are naturally woven in - Virginia was in your face with its smash and jump cuts (to quite engaging effect), but this is far more relaxed and unassuming about it.

After playing a fair bit of Yakuza Like A Dragon recently with its often tediously long, flat dialogue scene, it’s refreshing to play a game that has some visual and editing zest. The graphics may be basic, but the visual language isn’t - there’s lots of thought put into camera movement, scene cuts… etc. This seriously helps the game clip along at a fair old pace, something further aided by the fact the stories are broken up into roughly 15-30 mins chapters. You have to clear each set of three chapters before the next unlocks, but this structure ensures you’re always being moved along with each character. Given it’s an anthology, your mileage will inevitably vary with each story (personally, the body swap comedy-drama was my least favourite of the three). But you’re never with them for long before you can move on.

There’s certainly issues with the storytelling here and there: some of the dialogue is clunky; some of the situations shallow or contrived or predictable; and the finale will certainly prove divisive with its big left field swing (I was on-board, for what it’s worth). But crucially I got fairly hooked on it: while there’s nothing revolutionary here, it has the vibe and draw of a good page-turner, and I was by the end quite keen to see what each new chapter would bring.

Lots of talk about story so far, and not much about gameplay. And, well, that’s where Last Stop is a bit of a mess. The interactivity here is limited to say the least: your input largely limited to walking from spot to spot or choosing arbitrary dialogue options. Not only that, but the walking isn’t even that good, given the game’s slightly wonky animations and propensity for cinematic angles (there was a few occasions where I had to scan the scene to find the character I was meant to move). It sometimes uses that annoying Quantic Dream thing of having you rotate the analogue stick to complete some arbitrary task like brushing your teeth - it’s no more exciting or meaningful here than it was in Heavy Rain. There’s a late game effort to throw in some ‘big meaningful choices’, but it comes too late and is just effectively a binary choice over which of the endings you’ll see.

It’s not like the game is totally lacking in interactivity - indeed, there’s a cool first-person detective scene in the back half which is really refreshing. There’s too little of that, though, which is a bit of a shame.

So it all boils down to what you expect going in. If you’re happy to play through what is effectively a lightly interactive film / TV show, there’s pleasures to be found here - nothing radical, but a solid anthology series that mixes thriller, sci-fi, mystery, comedy, character drama and more. If you prefer a bit more interactivity with your interactive stories, look elsewhere.

Ultimately, though, this works best for me as an example of what can be achieved if designers pay a bit more attention to things like camera placement and editing choices when they’re telling you a story. The game isn’t an unqualified success, but there’s plenty of valuable lessons bigger studios could learn from this small team’s smart embrace of cinematic storytelling techniques.

Advertisement