Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT March 2021 Results

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NOG92

Beggerboy wrote: »
    Tacadh did you get to the bottom of UL entrant at score of 53 ?

What were you told was the minimum score for UL entry in 2020.

Did you give you it another shot this year.

Any views on what UL minimum is likely to be for 2021.

It's impossible to ask anyone to crystal ball gaze given all the variables involved but, as you can see from the cutoffs from round zero over the past few years, they are fairly consistent.

2015 - 54*
    2016 - 55
    2017 - 54*
    2018 - 55*
    2019 - 54*
    2020 - 55*

I'd say a few things may come into play to influence them this year. The new Med school in Derry may absorb some demand; fewer international students and those coming from UK and EU owing to the precarious nature of the pandemic may do likewise. On the other hand, this could be counterbalanced by more people having deferred places from last year because of the very same reason. In truth, I think it's difficult to say for sure but, having spoken with staff at UL, they seemed fairly confident that the scores wouldn't budge a great deal, + or - 1 either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Gamsat21

NOG92 wrote: »
    It's impossible to ask anyone to crystal ball gaze given all the variables involved but, as you can see from the cutoffs from round zero over the past few years, they are fairly consistent.

2015 - 54*
    2016 - 55
    2017 - 54*
    2018 - 55*
    2019 - 54*
    2020 - 55*

I'd say a few things may come into play to influence them this year. The new Med school in Derry may absorb some demand; fewer international students and those coming from UK and EU owing to the precarious nature of the pandemic may do likewise. On the other hand, this could be counterbalanced by more people having deferred places from last year because of the very same reason. In truth, I think it's difficult to say for sure but, having spoken with staff at UL, they seemed fairly confident that the scores wouldn't budge a great deal, + or - 1 either way.
    I am inclined to think the same. In terms of percentiles points moving 3 or 4 points is absolutely massive regardless of demand. I suppose we will have to see as I know the number of applicants increased this year but it does seems rather unlikely that they will shift significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gamsitter

Gamsat21 wrote: »
    I am inclined to think the same. In terms of percentiles points moving 3 or 4 points is absolutely massive regardless of demand. I suppose we will have to see as I know the number of applicants increased this year but it does seems rather unlikely that they will shift significantly.
    Hi there,

What do you mean by percentiles shifting 3 or 4 points? And what are the possible implications of this? Thanks

Gamsitter wrote: »
    Hi there,

What do you mean by percentiles shifting 3 or 4 points? And what are the possible implications of this? Thanks
    Sorry, that probably wasn't clear. Just that one point is a lot in terms of percentiles for the GAMSAT so e.g. 58 - 60 is around 10 percentiles different. So even if demand were to go up I cant imagine the scores shifting by 3/4 points as this would be a huge percentile jump.

Gamsat21 wrote: »
    Sorry, that probably wasn't clear. Just that one point is a lot in terms of percentiles for the GAMSAT so e.g. 58 - 60 is around 10 percentiles different. So even if demand were to go up I cant imagine the scores shifting by 3/4 points as this would be a huge percentile jump.
    Thank you. When do universities Or the CAO publish the cut off points do you know ? I just checked my CAO account there, so it’s like score 1, score 2, score 3 then result 1. Is this what you have too? Thanks a mil

• Advertisement

Thank you. When do universities Or the CAO publish the cut off points do you know ? I just checked my CAO account there, so it’s like score 1, score 2, score 3 then result 1. Is this what you have too? Thanks a mil

It will be "early August". Having spoken with a few of the college registration teams, it's believed it'll be around the first week of August and will coincide with the release of round zero offers.

Yes, thats exactly what's displayed on my account also :)

Thanks. How do we find out our random numbers btw?

Thanks. How do we find out our random numbers btw?
    I saw on some other thread you can contact the CAO if e.g. UCC was 58* and you have 58 to see what your random number is. Where are you hoping to go ?:)

Sitting on 55! So Limerick is only the possibility. Hoping they drop to 54 so I have better chance. If they stay 55 then it’s all about luck. 😭. And your self?

• Advertisement

I better not ring CAO for the random number. It would be dreadful to find out if I got a low one. :((
    I’d just wait for the offers instead. Fingers crossed!

Sitting on 55! So Limerick is only the possibility. Hoping they drop to 54 so I have better chance. If they stay 55 then it’s all about luck. 😭. And your self?
    Agh amazing well done! I'll keep my fingers crossed - they've been 54/55 for a long time now so you have a great chance. Hoping for UCD:) Have 61 so I'm really hoping hehe

Oh you’ll be grand! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

Beggerboy wrote: »
    Tacadh did you get to the bottom of UL entrant at score of 53 ?

What were you told was the minimum score for UL entry in 2020.

Did you give you it another shot this year.

Any views on what UL minimum is likely to be for 2021.

I think the 53 thing is Bull to be honest!
    I emailed the admissions office and asked them what about it and they reassured me that limerick was indeed 55* this year.
    Yes I resat this March and got a 56 which I am happy enough with.
    I also have an interview for Derry which is what I really want.

Is Derry via CAO or UCAS? And what’s the current GAMSAT cut off there atm? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AoifeK1995

Is Derry via CAO or UCAS? And what’s the current GAMSAT cut off there atm? Thanks

It's via UCAS and nobody knows what the cutoff score will be since it's a new course. I saw someone say that they got called for an interview on 56 so it could be around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hcoben111

Tacadh wrote: »
    I think the 53 thing is Bull to be honest!
    I emailed the admissions office and asked them what about it and they reassured me that limerick was indeed 55* this year.
    Yes I resat this March and got a 56 which I am happy enough with.
    I also have an interview for Derry which is what I really want.

hey tacadh, how did you submit your ucas id and cao number on your acer account?

https://www.gamsat.ie/medical-schools-ireland

These are the cut off points from 2011. Going by the pattern, hopefully LM drops to 54! But there’s no way of telling really. :(( Can’t do anything now but wait oh well. Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gamsatter

Has anyone looked at the graphed supplied with the results this year compared to last year? From what I see there has been a slight downward shift?

Noticed that too. Still unsure what implications it has on cut off points.

• Advertisement

I wish they'd do it at an earlier date. August is just so late!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conry1

I did chem and biology for the leaving cert but before this I hadn’t touched them for 4 years. All of the Chem questions were about organic chemistry so I thought that I wouldn’t be able to answer them, but I read over the questions and I started to treat them as pattern questions rather than actual science questions and that seemed to help a little. As for the physics, I learnt off the logarithm rules because the past 3 GAMSAT have all had them as a question and they’re so difficult to do without a calculator. Finally for biology, it was mainly graphs and bar charts so I didn’t really need any prior info for them. I think the most important thing is to just keep doing problem questions because it’s not really what you know, it’s if you know how to apply it.

Over on the GAMSAT Reddit page, a lot of people said that they think that the courses are just a money racket and are actually outdated at this point. I have some prep materials that I could send you if you wanted? (All acer papers, ozimed , and Des O’Neill)
    Hi there, congrats on your fantastic score! I'm sitting the GAMSAT in September and am also from a NSB so these are great tips to have come across! I'm struggling with prep for S3, as it's been 4 years since studying biology and chem for LC and I have never done physics. I'm really anxious to do well so was originally going to fork out the money for a course, but I'm reconsidering this now having looked at the Reddit page. By any chance could you send me the materials that you have? I could pm you my email address if you don't mind. Congrats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hcoben111

Did anyone here get an offer from Derry yet? IF so what gamsat score did you have?

hcoben111 wrote: »
    Did anyone here get an offer from Derry yet? IF so what gamsat score did you have?
    I was in the October cohort and only had a score of 54 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

Just before change of mind closes on the CAO, how have people decided between RCSI and UCD? Finding the decision difficult as both have pros and cons

Would appreciate any insight !

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kieran.molo

What are people doing about accommodation ? i have applied for on campus in UL but i am on a wait list.

I've been thinking about this as well. Like I appreciate offers aren't out until 5th August and hopefully we get in of course, but I don't want to leave it too late to look for somewhere to live either. I've just been looking at private accommodation on daft just to get an idea of what's out there and rent prices, etc. I am leaning towards UL's GEM on campus accommodation as all bills etc are included. Plus, it would be great to live with other GEMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kieran.molo

im sitting on a score of 58, so historically thats been good for UL, i tried contacting CAO and UL directly and keep getting fobbed off.

As its been said in other threads on here, point are fairly consistent year on year. One could reasonably assume it will be simular this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Just saw a few people chatting about hoping to get into UL and accommodation. Going into second year GEM at UL and we've just been told out lectures, pbl sessions and anatomy tutorials are going to be online for the foreseeable future! This just leaves our 2 hour clinical skills (compulsory), 2 hour (communication clinical skills, compulsory but was online last year, they are saying they hope it will be face to face) and our one hour anatomy tutorial (not compulsory, lots of people don't go) so 5 hours in all that will be face to face. I'm guessing it will be the same for first year, just for anyone looking for accommodation and want to know what the sitch might be!

• Advertisement

That sounds... dispiriting, to say the least 😕 Considering that fees are 15k a year lumping the majority of the course online can hardly be justified.

Advertisement