Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best summer in memory

• 21-07-2021 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Up until now for me it was 2006, which was.fairly similar to now.

Any others people remember

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

2010, 2018? (the year the grass turned yellow from the heat, water restrictions etc), this one and a few in the 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Is how I rank the top 5 best summers of my lifetime so far (which ain't much).

May to July 2018 will be difficult to beat, a golden period with the best summer month I've seen - June 2018; 4mm of rain, more than 260 hrs of sun and mean temperatures at least 1-2C above average with a heatwave to finish. August was very disappointing however, as it normally is.

Brilliant July in 2013 with 2 weeks of very fine weather followed by some decent storms and convection by Ireland standards. June had a lovely period early on too whilst August wasn't amazing but passable.

Fantastic June and especially July in 2006 with the last instance of a 30C in Dublin. Another disappointing August.

A good June in 2021 and a contrasting July with quite a poor first 2 weeks but an exceptional heatwave with bags of sunshine day after day (of which we are still currently in when writing this post).

June and July 2014 were both fine months, July at times quite warm. August was exceptionally wet and became cool later on. I could interchange 2014 and 2021 depending on how August 2021 fares - August 2014 was very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

1995 was a banger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

1995, 2006 and 2013 are three I remember. Especially 2006 it was just so warm and dry at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This.

1995 was an actual summer season of constant hot weather from June to August, I was around 8 years old and remember it so fondly still. I remember we went to Portugal for 2.5 weeks and the weather was better back home while we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

I remember that summer so well. Every day better than the last and it lasted for ages as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

1995, 1983, 1976

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Another vote for 1995, it was glorious for the entire summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭atilladehun

1995 is the classic, 2013 was brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1976 - everyone seemed to be sunburned that summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭kindredspirit

Without a doubt, 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was a child in 1995 and I can’t remember that one. 2006 is the last time I recall temperatures above 30C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was alive for '76 but was only 2yo so can't remember it. Was a Barman in a Bray Seafront Pub for '95 and I couldn't wait to see the end of the good weather because it was relentless hard work for several months without a break. Running around like a Blue Arsed Fly from opening at 10:30am onwards. Normally you'd only need to serve a few oul fellas while prepping the place for the Lunch/dinnertime trade 12-3pm. Summer 95' Mon-Sun both front and back beer gardens would be nearly full by 11am. Mad busy for food 12-3pm. Normally you'd then have a quiet few hours to clean up after the Lunch trade and prep for the evening meal trade 5-7pm. Summer '95, Mad busy in that gap. Then mad busy for evening meal trade. Then mad busy for the night time drinks trade.........even Monday and Tuesday Nights when in a normal Summer those nights would be quiet. Just relentless. Couldn't wait to see the back of that Summer.

The incredible irony was that Bray Summer Fest had been rained out of it in its 2 weeks in July every year for the previous 5 so the Festival committee decided to move it to early September when the weather was always good when the kids went back to school. The year they decided to make this change was '95. The normal festival weeks were glorious. The rescheduled festival week at the beginning of September was when the Summer of '95 finally broke down with a week or two of rain. :D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another vote for 95, I remember finishing up at school for the summer holidays on a scorching hot day then spending the whole summer on the beach.

2018 would have to be second, especially if you include May over August. Cloudless skies day after day for weeks at a time and no rain or any note for about 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd agree with those. Spent the summer of 95 working in London during the summer holidays. Stifling from mid June all the way through to early September.

June in 2013 was awful but right at the end of the month it improved markedly and July was glorious. The following year was quite similar too.

For some reason I can't really remember 2006 but I do remember one weekend in August when the humidity was like nothing I'd ever experienced in Ireland before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

1983 and 1984 were very good.

1995 was another.

2013 and 2018 were years with about three weeks of very hot weather but that was really it.

If I recall the really hot weather in 2018 was in early to mid June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's only been good this week, has been dire up til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It was the summer of ‘69. Oh yeah. Me and some guys from school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

1995 or 2018.

2018 was the best year for weather. I wish every year was like 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

it had to 1995 cause I did my leaving then and we all knows the sun shines when the leaving is on!

although I believe 76 was better. I missed that but do feel sorry for my boo poor ma who carried me around that summer till I stick my head out a the end of it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

1995 gets my vote. My parents had a mobile home in east cork we’d be there every weekend and it’s not much fun stuck in a mobile home when it’s pissing rain but 1995 was glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

1995 - I had a new girlfriend and therefore new friends - was going to 2 raves a week. It was properly hot by day and by night for what seems like months on end

went to Australia a few years later and an Aussie dude asked me "Hey, you guys still talking about the summer of 95 over there ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,053 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For me 1990, great weather that summer and Ireland were in Italia 90.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I remember 1995 and 2006 very well. Going to say 1995 was best, was 11 years old and could be outside all day. Was on my college work placement in Dublin in 2006. Spent a lot of time in the Dicey's beer garden that summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

1995 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

1975 decent summer(dry but not as warm as the following summer) over shadowed by 1976 which was a classic

1983 especially July and we had some thundery weather as well

1984 was a good summer. Remember been in Fitzgerald's Stadium on 1st July for the Munster Football Final and had to sit under the scoreboard cause I wasnt able for the heat

1989 and 1990 were pretty memorable summers for the fine weather

1995 was the best summer then since 76

2003 had a very warm August

2006 was a very warm summer especially July. August was a disappointment

2013 was the best summer after several poor summers (2010 was ok though)

2018 went from a cold April to a warm/hot Summer. Spring was very short that year

2021 aint too bad so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Billcarson

While im not a huge fan of hot summers the best summer would have to be 95. It seemed to be more of a dry heat then the more humid kind. Honourable mentions for 83,84 and 89 .Too young to remember much about 76

I found the warm spells of summer 06 too humid. July 06 was pure torture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

2020 was a great summer . this year has been terrible so far

Advertisement