Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

dzilla wrote: »
    Optimal print are printed in clare and a 1 day dispatch if its during the week. once you dont go for a fancy finish with rounded corners and order before 3pm you should very well have them the next day. I was impressed with the dispatch time.

Yeah we ordered the second lot on Monday evening and they were printed and shipping yesterday. The expected delivery date is tomorrow (hopefully).

The first batch we ordered had foil, which is printed outside of Ireland and therefore takes longer to deliver. I still have no idea what the technical glitch was with that batch, but I didn't want to wait longer for foil when placing the second order.

We were planning on using Optimal Print or doing them ourselves but in the end we went with an Irish company called Save The Date. The lady who owns it and designs the invites is lovely to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

We did them all online using greenvelope.com. Partly to generate less waste, but also it was easy to add people to the list when numbers increased or people declined, and we could change details on it and it all updated for everyone. It also allowed us to download the invitation as a pdf and we got a couple of copies printed locally for older relatives who wouldn't have email. Got lots of good feedback on the online option, it's a bit fancier than just getting an image emailed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

Hi all, hope all well. A bit stressed so looking for advice. Our wedding is on in August and we are soon sending out invites.

Part of me is thinking to go ahead and invite approx 80 but also part of me thinks that this might not be possible, so just invite 50 as I think this is more realistic.

It's so hard because you have people saying to you "isn't it great you can have 100 now?" When really this may not even be the case. But also I had got my head around 50, ordered favours etc based on this number. No idea what to do. I just feel if I go with the smaller number of 50 or 60 it'd be less chance of having to change this. Although then will some friends etc not be wondering why they didn't get an invite if we had the room...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

AppleD wrote: »
    Hi all, hope all well. A bit stressed so looking for advice. Our wedding is on in August and we are soon sending out invites.

Part of me is thinking to go ahead and invite approx 80 but also part of me thinks that this might not be possible, so just invite 50 as I think this is more realistic.

It's so hard because you have people saying to you "isn't it great you can have 100 now?" When really this may not even be the case. But also I had got my head around 50, ordered favours etc based on this number. No idea what to do. I just feel if I go with the smaller number of 50 or 60 it'd be less chance of having to change this. Although then will some friends etc not be wondering why they didn't get an invite if we had the room...

In the same boat, getting married in October and went through the invite list during the week - 65 guests. Despite my mother in law really trying to push her guestlist without financially contributing to the wedding (the ****ing neighbours et al), I am still determine to hold on to a small number. I think the best thing is to be honest and communicate with your guests. Let them know now that if there is a rise in numbers and restrictions come back, they won't be bringing a plus one so that you can have as many loved ones as you want on your day. People are more understanding than you think. You can always reach out to the 30 people that are dubious at the moment and say that you really want them there but will have to see if you are allowed the full guest list closer to the time. That way there won't be any hurt feeling as you have to consider family numbers first.

Thanks Aoife :)

Yeah I think we'll send out about 60 or 70. If it does got to 100 that announcement most likely won't be given until about very start of August.

I think by planning for a smaller number, its more realistic. Also I wouldn't want 100 there without being able to dance etc.

The announcements are always so late, like people getting married in July still don't really know if 50 will be confirmed until next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How do we feel about the push back of the relaxation of restrictions? I'm hoping we will still see 100 allowed at weddings from August 5th onwards, but it's hard to know. No certainty at all for couples. Deeply frustrating.

How do we feel about the push back of the relaxation of restrictions? I'm hoping we will still see 100 allowed at weddings from August 5th onwards, but it's hard to know. No certainty at all for couples. Deeply frustrating.

It's hard to know. There's a lot of noise about delaying indoor dining, but I don't know if other measures (like increasing numbers at weddings) will be delayed too. I guess we'll know more by the end of next week?

I'm posting my invites for September on Monday regardless (inviting more than 50, but expecting less than 50 to accept).

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

We’re due to get married on July 24th. I can’t exaggerate how much this has put myself and my fiancé through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

It's really, really frustrating. We finally felt we were safe inviting 50 for July, 48 have accepted. I don't know how we'll face into uninviting people again, just hoping it doesn't come to it. They left weddings as they were in October bar banning hair and makeup so hopefully they'll keep them separate to indoor dining this time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

We had our day on Thursday after one postponement. It was wonderful. Everyone had a great time.

I wouldn’t wish the stress of planning a COVID wedding on anyone. I know it’s easier said than done to say “just go ahead” because everyone has their own situations but at the same time - Jesus - the relief of actually being married now and not having to stress anymore about restrictions is amazing. It’s only now the wedding is done that the stress of the past year has hit me.

Every single person we “uninvited” totally understood our dilemma with COVID and they are all demanding pictures and videos of the wedding day :) many have even sent cards and gifts to us.

I know it’s easy for me to say now but my advice would be if in doubt - just go ahead. If we had to postpone again I think the stress would have crushed me. I can now move on with my life and have now already accepted a new job offer and we have both begun looking forward to next chapters in our lives.

Wishing everyone luck with the upcoming weddings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

AppleD wrote: »

we are the same, we have sent 50 , but now we are wondering is 50 even going to be allowed.

aoife1991 wrote: »
    Despite my mother in law really trying to push her guestlist without financially contributing to the wedding (the ****ing neighbours et al)

I cannot believe this expectation is still there in the current climate

I am hugely concerned about weddings not getting increased to 50, if they keep the indoor hospitality locked down for 2-3 weeks then I cannot see them being sympatheic on the other hand to weddings. It will just give the vfi etc a stick to beat the government with.
    BigMo1 wrote: »
    We’re due to get married on July 24th. I can’t exaggerate how much this has put myself and my fiancé through.

Honestly, the most stressful few weeks of my life.
    Goose76 wrote: »
    We had our day on Thursday after one postponement. It was wonderful. Everyone had a great time.
    Wishing everyone luck with the upcoming weddings!

Really good to hear of your experience and I know it will go a long way reassuring a lot of people on this forum who are tying the knot in the coming weeks.

I cannot believe this expectation is still there in the current climate

Oh dzilla, don't get me started. I could rant for Ireland on her ridiculous expectations and insistence that I stick to all things traditional. She has had to be reminded several times that it is OUR day, not her day. I wish to feck I stuck to my guns and eloped... Sure anyway, it's one day. I am trying to keep her busy with lots of jobs so she doesn't start sticking her oar in again or trying to give me opinions on things that have already been decided and deposits paid for. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am hugely concerned about weddings not getting increased to 50, if they keep the indoor hospitality locked down for 2-3 weeks then I cannot see them being sympatheic on the other hand to weddings. It will just give the vfi etc a stick to beat the government with.

The general consensus appears to be that weddings will still get the go ahead to increase to 50 guests, although I'll believe it when I see it.

If that did transpire it would mirror what has occurred in the UK. Easing of most restrictions have been pushed back, but the weddings restrictions are being eased as originally planned.

It is strange to think that we could have 50+ guests at a wedding but potentially no live music. I would really hate that along with an 11pm finish time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It is strange to think that we could have 50+ guests at a wedding but potentially no live music. I would really hate that along with an 11pm finish time.

I was at a wedding last week with 25 and no live music. Honestly it was actually grand. We had a ipad hooked up to the speaker system in the room playing background music all night. The bar closed at 11.30pm sharp, music had to end by midnight but they let us stay in the room until 1am. Honestly I didn't miss the music as much as I thought I would. And it gave people more an opportunity to chat. Plus the bride & groom could do their first dance when suited them as opposed to being constrained to a band's timetable. They didn't do it till almost 10pm.

I was at a wedding last week with 25 and no live music. Honestly it was actually grand. We had a ipad hooked up to the speaker system in the room playing background music all night. The bar closed at 11.30pm sharp, music had to end by midnight but they let us stay in the room until 1am. Honestly I didn't miss the music as much as I thought I would. And it gave people more an opportunity to chat. Plus the bride & groom could do their first dance when suited them as opposed to being constrained to a band's timetable. They didn't do it till almost 10pm.

That is.....reassuring....:o Ah no it will be fine I know. We are October so our 80 guests can demonstrate their singing voices and maybe someone will bring a guitar :D

Weddings to increase to 50 as planned from July 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

And interestingly, it seems that the "Vaccine bonus" of being allowed indoor visitors is goign to have the three household cap lifted from July 5th so you could have an unlimited number of visitors in your house, once they are fully vaccinated. That's goign to make enforcement quite difficult

It's a good day for couples planning their weddings this summer anyway!

I'm still concerned about my wedding in September though. There's a lot of buzz about a "delta wave" over the summer, so I'm worried that this could have a negative impact come September, particularly with schools starting back. Logically you'd expect any wave to have much less of an impact now compared to previous waves, due to the vaccine rollout. But all this pessimistic forecasting by NPHET...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Great news for weddings indeed. Delighted from a selfish point of view that we can have 50 at the end of July but very frustrated for the hospitality industry as a whole.

How's everything handling the top table? It's a bit of a pain trying to organise it since we don't want to just sit at a table with our parents - but excluding some of the groomsmen/bridesmaid is annoying as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I have a wedding coming up. What’s the deal with them nowadays? How many at a table and top table? No first dance or just bride and groom with no bridesmaids/groomsmen? All table service? Gonna be a strange one! No bands either.

Those who’ve had one recently, what was it like?

We had planned on staying in our venue the night before but in a regular room and then going in to the 'bridal' suite the next morning to get ready. Turns out we would have to book the suite the night before as well to guarantee this. Sake. I can see why but it would have been nice if this was made clear instead of "oh you'll have plenty of space in that room to get ready that morning". Probably stay in bog standard room instead on wedding night and take the other on the Friday night.

They are getting plenty of money out of us and family for the whole weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I can safely say I would never go through the experience of planning a wedding again. Simple things have become the biggest issue with my parents not at all being able to cope with the whole concept of only being allowed a limited number of guests. I have been told by the bridesmaid that once I had my dress I didn’t care about anyone else and that’s it’s all about me - spoken in the sarkiest way imaginable.
    I have too many friends invited and not enough cousins, I have no consideration for my own family etc etc. This despite the fact they have offered no financial assistance as they thought you would pay everything the morning after. “That’s how it was done long go.”

They are all very anxious about the day and making me feel absolutely awful for putting them through it. There is zero enjoyment in the last few weeks and I hate even talking about it to them as I get my head bit off for bringing it up. My mother is completely unable to cope with it all. Can’t invite her own cousins, the local priests etc. I know living at home hasn’t helped my cause as she is very worried about my leaving and the future for herself. I can’t tell friends any of this as they would think she is bonkers, she hates change and its manifesting it as worry, stress and overall crankiness. I’m trying to remain calm but her and my sisters attitude is really disappointing. They are no way happy about it all and I know well the day won’t be good enough for them.

I can’t wait to get out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

That sounds really tough Teach. I don't think you can do much to change the attitude of other people, but it's very draining and demoralising all the same for you.

Neyite wrote: »
    That sounds really tough Teach. I don't think you can do much to change the attitude of other people, but it's very draining and demoralising all the same for you.

Thanks Neyite, I can’t forget I’ve had the best of everything growing up and only for living at home I wouldn’t have a new house mortgage free and a wedding planned. Equally I would love to enjoy the experience but I can’t have everything. They certainly pay aren’t making it easy and I have a huge sense of guilt for putting them through this and a sense of dread as to how the day itself will play out.

As it stands my mother wants all tables mixed so that she can chat to different people in his family, not understanding that some people might not feel comfortable mixing. Equally friends need to be put at the back of the room as my mother won’t want to see/hear people drinking… this cake from the bridesmaid. The day certainly won’t be good enough for her, the people asked wouldn’t be her “type” at all. I keep hearing about “how it was done long go” .. at this stage I can’t wait to say the day is over.

Still have so much to do and really can’t get my head into doing anything as there is no enjoyment in it. Lovey to hear how nice everyone elses planning is going even if it does make me v jealous at times!

My heart goes out to you , Teach. It has been very stressful planning a wedding in a global pandemic and it sounds like you have little family or friend support with this. My adage is you can't please anyone, so you may as well please yourself.

At this point what does your ideal resemble and are you willing to change your plans to make you and your future spouse happy?

I know how you are feeling. My heart isn't in it, planning wise any more.

I was just getting too stressed about the logistics of our date this year during covid so I'm really glad it was put off until next year, but lots of couples didn't have the option to do that like we did, and I really feel it for them.

Families, even the best of them, don't get all the stuff you aren't allowed to do for a covid wedding. And that's without the usual suspects in the family who go a bit crazy at weddings. Honestly, I've seen way more guestzillas over the years than bridezillas.

aoife1991 wrote: »
    My heart goes out to you , Teach. It has been very stressful planning a wedding in a global pandemic and it sounds like you have little family or friend support with this. My adage is you can't please anyone, so you may as well please yourself.

At this point what does your ideal resemble and are you willing to change your plans to make you and your future spouse happy?

I know how you are feeling. My heart isn't in it, planning wise any more.

I think what I’ve planned for 50 will be fine it’s just the lead up to it is being difficult. The anxiety from mother and sister and the fact they can’t understand numbers or restrictions makes it’s frustrating for me. They even at one point suggested sitting in a separate room to main party so more cousins, neighbours etc could be invited. They aren’t willing to accept how I would like it and get touchy when I say this is how it’s going to be.

All I keep hearing is “long ago that’s what we did”. My mother still can’t decide who to ask from her side and is avoiding it now that’s she’s under pressure to finally decide. Sister sides with her and I come out the worst as I need names and numbers but they can’t understand why.

I think deep down they think I’m very self centred and I’m making the day all about me when it traditionally would have been about the parents and family. At this stage it’s easier do what they want than argue with them because if I do I’m made out to be the worst ever. Hardly worth the stress and tears at this stage. The “oh it’s all about you, just because you have a dress no one else matters” comment really got to me and it’s something I will never forget.

• Advertisement

It's a nasty comment and one that should be entirely disregarded. It's COVID causing all this, not you! You, if I remember correctly, wanted the big traditional ballroom wedding reception with everyone there, and you were gutted when it had to be this way. It was different years ago. It was different two years ago - because covid didn't exist then. We'd never even heard of social distancing two years ago!

Covid is the reason you can't have those guests. Covid is the reason you can't have the wedding they want you to have (and that you also wanted!) Covid is the reason your mother can't have relatives in different rooms. So you are not at fault here.

Well, my invites are gone out this morning. Decided to give three months notice given that we are still dealing with Covid. We are inviting 65.

To be honest, my anxiety is sky high. I have a pit in my stomach that the situation will worsen with the Delta variant and I could be phoning 40 people and telling them not to show up :( All I can do now is wait. I cannot wait for the day to be over and no longer have this on my list of things to be worried about. Myself and himself are both getting our first vaccine jabs this week so at least we will be fully vaccinated on the wedding day.

Still no word from the Department of Health regarding the guidelines for hotels once they go to 100 guests. Will live music be allowed? Is dancing still prohibited? Is it still only a table service for drinks? Are venues expected to be closed and completely vacated by 23:30hrs? Are resident bars still forbidden? So much clarity needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

Anyone managed to find a decent wedding cake maker in Dublin? I'm after something that's fun, classy but an absolute showstopper! I found roughly what I wanted when I visited London and saw this from Anges De Sucre - https://www.angesdesucre.com/collections/pastel-wedding-cakes/products/pink-sweetheart-wedding-cake?variant=38532591496

We have around 8 months until the big day, so plenty of time in my eyes to get an order in surely? Thanks

Have you tried Amazing Cakes in Bray? I was seriously considering booking them, but just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a cake. If you want a statement piece though and if they're within your budget, that's who I'd go for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How's everyone feeling about the increase in wedding numbers,

DO we reckon it will get to 100 this year or are we looking at next spring at this stage ?

Really only August left in the summer at this stag & i can't see them going up to 100 for Autumn / Winter ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Hard to know, it's very difficult to make a call on sending invites at this stage. Thought they said it's meant to go to 100 for August, if that gets pushed out then I reckon it won't be 100 until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Had a Google, 30th of July at that cabinet sub committee meeting an announcement on wedding numbers is expected.

Are people sending out invites for 100 or just the 50 ?

its hard to know what to do ,we aren't till next May but id imagine after Christmas we will have a similar issue, With thing not being fully opened but planning to open ,

If I'm being honest, I can't see them allowing 100 in August. It's very clear that we're going into another wave and since we still don't have enough adults vaccinated, I can't see them easing restrictions further in August. At least we do have a large cohort fully vaccinated though, so I'm hopful that we're just facing down the barrel of the government not easing restrictions, as opposed to reimposing more severe restrictions.

We're September and have sent invites to more than 50, but nowhere close to 100. It's the original number we planned to invite actually! I'm still waiting for a lot of people to the RSVP, but if more than 50 accept and numbers haven't gone up by then, I'm sure people will be sympathetic and understanding if they need to be "cut".

• Advertisement

Posted our invites today to 60 people, that way if 10 can't come we'll still have 50 there.

Its hard to know if it will go to 100. Can't see there being any change to the 11.30 time limit.

Every supplier I speak to has said they can't see it going to 100.. Now I know they don't know anymore than the rest of us.

I'd be more surprised if they do go to 100, I think most people would be. We're meant to hit a peak of Delta variant in August so just can't see it be lifted past 50.

I don't even want 100 there with no music tbh.

We are still ploughing ahead for 80 people in October and remain hopeful that we will have live music and no 11.30pm end time.

I haven't seen it in the legislation but recently nphet have said that the vaccine bonus is that any number of vaccinated people may visit each other without masks indoors. Surely by that logic, you could have 100 vaccinated people at a venue

What if some of the wedding party wasn't vaccinated?

In theory I agree with you. Or you say that anyone with a Covid cert isn't included in the numbers.

It would be a logistical nightmare for the couple trying to organise their wedding though. I'm assuming all of our guests will be fully vaccinated in September, based on the age profile. But I can't know that for sure (could be medical or personal reasons they choose not to get vaccinated) and there's no way I'd be prying into people's personal medical information when inviting them.

No idea, I just think people should be aware of it when they're afraid of numbers being reduced again due to Delta.

Have any brides to be or recently married brides been told by their suppliers on the day that only the bare minimum can be in the bedroom that morning?

I'm talking about the getting ready preparations. I've been told that due to Covid only those who need to be with me can be and it doesn't matter that we will all be fully vaccinated.

There is someone close to me who isn't a member of the bridal party but who I think would really like to say hello and sit with us for a bit. This isn't welcomed however and I have to politely tell them they can't stay.

We are getting married in May next year & planned to send invites before Christmas but i reckon we will be holding off till late January/February ,

We want 110 at the wedding but iv a feeling things will likely become worse over winter & only start to get good again in February ,

But fingers crossed by May next year we will be almost be at full capacity for weddings,

After Christmas should be plenty of time. I don't think winter will be cause for concern given our vaccination roll out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Varadkar saying couples should plan for 50 on August so no further easing of restrictions

Ridiculous we're still going on max numbers

Have had few friends with weddings in Northern Ireland the last few weeks

Numbers are dependent on the venue

I was invited to a wedding in August

No kids bar 2 nieces and nephews of the groom

All rest who got invited double vaccinated but that doesn't seem to matter

I'll be one of those culled from the list but I can accept that no bother

Bride very upset at having to uninvite people now

Advertisement