Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Retro FM on 92.0 FM again this evening in automated music mode. Energy Power AM came on at some stage this evening on 1395 kilohertz (or 215 metres) Medium Wave. Nothing unusual about that for a Friday evening. What is unusual is that Paul Murray is broadcasting this evening, rather than automated music. He normally comes on Sunday afternoons after relaying Retro FM's live broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In fairness to Hot, they did have a good long run. They've been on almost continuously since June 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

DAB remains on in Dublin and Ice Radio on 99.3 (it has its weak and strong spots). Retro (I assume) on 92.0 and something on 99.5. Anything else of note on this weekend?

Post edited by JDxtra on

Energy Power AM was on 99.5 FM (at least today), as well as 1395 kh MW all weekend. Retro FM was being relayed on both frequencies this morning as well as 92.0 FM. I heard Mike Doyle actually listed all three frequencies - Energy Power never mention 99.5 FM at all!

What else? The Beach were on a lot this weekend on 105.7 FM. At one stage on Friday evening, I picked up what I presume is The Nineties Network on 98.4 FM near Dundrum. This is my first time picking it up - driving different car than normal! Charity Radio was relayed yesterday afternoon and evening on 94.3 FM. Today, whilst driving on the M50 near Blanchardstown, I picked up Co. Meath-based RetroNow on 105.2 FM.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Great choice around Cork at the minute with the weather. UK nationals from North Hessary Tor booming in around West Cork yesterday, stronger than RTÉ in many areas. Also Chaine 2 (same PI code as 2FM so RDS retuned from 2FM to this station on 87.6) from Algeria and Medradio on 88.2 from Casablanca

Later in the evening BBC R4 was full RDS on 94.1/94.3/104.0/104.9 so consistent reception around the Harbour area. Full complement of BBC nationals along with R Wales, R Cymru, R Cornwall, R Devon, Heart South Wales, R. Pembrokeshire, Heart Cornwall all with RDS strength

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am surprised you're receiving anything from Morocco or Algeria on FM in Cork. However I have reason to believe this is only temporary. I've also never received BBC Radio on FM in Cork. However, I've received BBC Radio via FM in Glendalough very strong and it wasn't temporary, the signal was most likely from Wales.

Did you ever receive VOCM 590 AM from Newfoundland?

I picked up a station around south Dublin this evening on 99.5 FM, playing dance music - mainly chilled. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Morocco and Algeria was very temporary via Sporadic E. The BBC signals are here all week however with the high pressure. BBC Radio 4 on 104.9 has been solid all around the city all day today with full clear signal and RDS. The other BBC signals from the same site (Haverfordwest - 89.3/91.5/93.7/98.9/102.5) are all cochannel with strong local signals in the city.

I don’t have any equipment for receiving MW signals at fringe level unfortunately. The MW receiver in my car (Kia) is rubbish.

BBC Radio in Glendalough was likely from Blaenplwyf - a clear enough frequency set in Wicklow (88.7/90.9/93.1/95.3/98.3)?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Not liking this new boards - took a while to find this discussion.

One hell of a DAB lift out there at the moment - up here in the NE, getting loads of stuff from Wales and FreeDAB Dublin coming in like a local - full bars on the portable Pure radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Picking up the BBC DAB stations here in Cork City at present. Roberts 93i and DAB antenna

• Advertisement

BBC Radio reception in Glendalough and area, is however not Sporadic E or anything temporary. The signal is permanent. The pickup of the signals is very easy even with an old FM car radio, - no extra antenna or other equipment needed. I would largely guess that this is more a reflexion of the signal, due to the mountains. Yes, the signal is from Wales.

Sporadic E from Morocco or Algeria or Spain does sound plausible.

BBC DAB reception in Cork would surprise me though, even more than BBC Radio reception via FM.

Kazoo106 mentioned a DAB lift earlier. I have a 5 element DAB antenna which I thought was totally redundant. I put it out on the deck and pointed east (towards Wales). Picked up the BBC multiplex but no luck with the commercial one. Solid reception all morning and still going. Presume that I am picking up a Welsh transmitter. No point in pointing towards Cornwall as there is a hill behind the house

Not sure why the image is upside down. Apologies

Thanks for that. I was not aware that DAB signals would travel this far. It's probably the ocean which is contributing to this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Briefly managed to pick up the BBC mux on my clock radio in Dublin 5. Also the FreeDAB mux was listenable, it rarely is. Was nice having a full bouquet of DAB stations to scroll through.

Most of BBC nationals were booming in on FM too this morning, also BBC Ulster but no Radio Cymru so assume there were coming from NI not Wales.

It was a first for me too. It has disappeared now except for a very spongy intelligible signal if I point east.

My yagi points at Belfast for the NI stuff and both the North wales MUX and FreeDAB were coming in the back of it

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Not much on in Dublin right now. Hot FM off 91.0

Ice Radio on 99.3

UNID blank carrier on 99.5

despite the weather there’s not a massive lift to me although it sounds like some of the Brits (Heart FM and co) are doing their best to break though. Location at the Luas in Windy Arbour!

Could it be that the unusual warm weather is contributing to this effect?

How do you know that you are getting the North Wales mux? I guess that you are receiving local stations. Am I right in saying the National stations are always on 12B so it is harder for me to know what transmitter I am listening to? BBC national stations are back again tonight in Cork City

• Advertisement

Yes, BBC reception along the east coast, or even inland via hilltop diffraction is not related to atmospheric conditions. During minor lifts, BBC R4 on 104.9 is very clear along the coast but fades quickly inland. It's clear again tonight even in Cork City driving around.

BBC DAB in Cork City is very doable. UHF signals from Caradon Hill in Cornwall were regular visitors in North Cork pre digital switchover. One particular part of North Cork had a deflector on 23/26/30/33 which required high gain amplified Group A aerials pointing to the south east. Caradon Hill was a regular on such setups during any sort of lift.

BBC FM radio would be much more regular in the Cork City area if the primary transmitters in Wales/Cornwall weren't cochannel with high power local transmitters. Take BBC Radio 1, 97.7 from North Hessary Tor in Cornwall is 0.1 from RTE Lyric FM from Crosshaven, 98.3 from Blaenplwyf is reused by UCC 98.3, 98.9 from Haverfordwest is 0.1 from 98.8 from Spur Hill and 99.5 from Wenvoe is 0.1 from Lyric from Mullaghanish. Radio 4 on 104.9 stands out as being a remarkably clear channel in Cork City (previously used by pirates).

Because the NI Muxes are permanent and full scale signal - and Block 10D containing BBC Radio Cymru and Dragon radio are not transmitted in NI

BBC Radio Wales from Blaenplwyf on 95.3 is a good one for me here too when there is a lift on

I heard it again early this evening. A mixture of dance and rap. Later on, I heard a very different type of station on 99.5FM - initially 70s soul and then '70s rock and pop. My guess is that the latter is the people behind the stream of Energy Power AM on weekends on that frequency and this is to stop the former from using 99.5 FM. Am I right and who is the initial unidentified playing dance music?

If I were a betting man I’d say you’re right!

not much pirate activity audible in D14 this afternoon - ABC on 96.0 and the 90s Network on 98.4 (struggling through a lot of BBC stuff)

Dublin pirates audible to me earlier in South Dublin ..

96.0 ABC - in battle with BBC Radio 4

98.4 90s Network

99.3 Ice Radio (very weak)

104.1 Blank carrier

105.2 Retro Now (not usually audible)

105.7 The Beach (nice to hear them again)

Energy 1395 were chugging away over on AM.

I picked up:

FM:

96.0 ABC (with Radio 4!)

105.7 The Beach

99.5 1. Relay/stream of Energy Power AM 2. Briefly - the Unid playing dance music

MW:

1395 kh (215 metres) Energy Power AM - Paul Murray seemed to be broadcasting live for most of the day until 10pm!

I can never pick up Ice Radio on 99.3FM. Any ideas about the blank carrier on 104.1?

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

Audible this evening in Booterstown

91.6 dance music (no RDS but I’ll guess it’s Phever)

92.0 Retro FM

96.0 ABC

98.4 90s Network

99.3 Ice Radio

99.5 Energy 1395 FM relay

105.2 Retro Now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

have there been any further developments on the 104.1 blank carrier and the dance music on 99.5 as reported here?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

There were recent weekend AM broadcasts in Dublin (certainly the previous weekend) on 1494 kHz, playing '80s stuff ( "old recordings of Radio Nova and Kiss FM Dublin") . Maybe it was Energy temporarily trying a different frequency if not another operator? (if 1395 and 1494 were both on at the same time it would obviously rule out Energy)

Advertisement