Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Typical negativity without a point.

Not that Tipp got their tactics right at the start - Limerick got their tactics wrong - wow hahaha

Gillane was bad against Cork. That's why he didn't start. But no, there must be some super negative discipline issue... fair play to you.

Reverted back to their running game - Lord above... - wasn't anything to do with pushing up on Forde or solidifying their shape or the weather or all three and ten more reasons. Back to their running game... wow.

Analyses the game.

Goes into training on Tuesday. Works on shape non stop until the next game.

Dare I ask what the thinking behind that team is?

Why are you dropping Morris?

Kennedy had a bad game yesterday. Was badly at fault for the second goal. Has he had bad games in munster before and come good?

Yes.

Post edited by formerlyET on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He will have to have a serious think about Brendan Maher. Two very poor games now in a row. Seems well out of form and lost the ball for the first goal and let Hayes pass him like he was a tree for the second. Legendary Tipp player and I am reluctant to write him off, but I don't see how he starts in 2 weeks time.

Thought Paudie did fine yesterday. Conceded 2 points to Flanagan early on, but really came into the game then, I'd be persisting with him.

Seamie and Noel, I don't know. If its Galway in the next game, I'd be inclined to leave Seamie on the bench, he was struggled to get any change out of Daithi Burke for a long time now (a few nice flicks aside). Not sure about Noel, I'd be inclined to start him and replace early in second half, he is even struggling to find form, some uncharacteristic bad plays yesterday which is normally his strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

thank you - i meant to write morris , not bubbles

my thinking on here is clear since before the clare game. pauric maher, brendan maher, callinan and noel mcgrath, many would call our spine, is done. its not their fault.

• Advertisement

i get what your saying but for me we need new blood.

for example, when tipp under len gaynor lost the munster final to clare in 1997, what did len gaynor do? the only thing he could do, make changes and he got us to a final. after that munster final gaynor chose brawn and steel over hurling brain.

i think we are in the same situation now, to come back from that result yesterday, Sheedy needs to be brave and choose youth over experience.

If we continue with the status quo Tipp are going no where this year. So why not start with both mcgraths, callinan, both mahers, bubbles on the bench and introduce them in the second half and let those players give everything they have for the final 35.

Who is O'meara in corner forward? Why no Quirke?

he is not

willie connors midfield omeara on the wing forde, morris first line of defense.

has anyone read brendan cummins in the independent today , he writes Liam Sheedy needs to follow Codys lead by using the young bucks early and keeping old heads to finish the job.

i stated before the clare that i believed starting 2020 this should have been our game plan. Sheedy since all ireland final day in 2019 has looked completely out of his depth.

That's not how you've listed it, do you mean Bryan O'Mara?

You have listed 'O'Meara' at 13. And no Quirke. And you have Willie O'Connors on the wing. And Cadell centre back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

So what did limerick do in the game yesterday that sheedy hasn’t seen from them already? What’ll he do bar ‘work on shape’ ?

you clearly fancy yourself as some kind of expert, so let’s have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

You’re only looking at the glass half empty, this was a massive improvement from other efforts V limerick. We hurled them off the field for thirty minutes. We’re as good and maybe better than any of the other teams left bar limerick and maybe someone else might do a number on them in the semi with younger legs . As for putting in youngsters at this stage , just ask mike Ryan about it . Cathal Barrett must Be scratching his head as to what gets a lad sent off these days !

Surely though we can't be just happy with having given Limerick a bloody nose? We should have held on in this position, or at least reacted on the line sooner. For all the skills our panel has, it lacks real energy and strength in tight games. It needed refreshing after 2019, and yet most of the team that took to the field against Kilkenny in August 2019, started yesterday. Actually other than Barry Hogan for Brian Hogan) and Jake Morris (for John McGrath), the other 13, started the 2019 final. You have to keep personnel fresh. People are referring to our previous runs after being knocked out of Munster, they are forgetting that in 2010 for example, Bonnar, David Young, and Gearoid Ryan came into our team and there was alot of positional switches with Paul Curran coming back to the full-back position and Paudie and Declan Fanning reverting to wing-backs. Can we honestly see the mangement taking the scalpel to the team at this stage?? Our team has had little change since 2019.

No , we can’t be happy with the result but I’d be happy with some progress made versus limerick, other years we didn’t have any periods of dominance. I don’t have as much faith in the subs as others have here

Interesting why John Mc didn’t get thrown in , if it was a one point game with plenty of ball going in , I think he’d have been first on . Maybe the guys that got bought on are the players he’s going to try next day .

Nobody has mentioned the short puck outs . They contributed as much to the defeat as anything , if hegarty had taken his goal chance farm a short puck out, we’d have conceded 2-5 from interceptions. Short puck outs should head to the sideline, not down the middle where the limerick want you to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

As regards subs, I thought it noteworthy we didn't even use our full complement on sunday. Whatever that says. I think the game was level, or limerick had possibly gone ahead, before the first switch was made. I'd definitely question that. I'm one of noels biggest fans, but I'd have made a change there much quicker than they did.

On puck outs, i think you're correct. But going long wasn't cutting much ice either and limerick were just launching attack after attack from them and doing a real job pushing up on our puck outs. You do need variety but we just didn't work out how and that was disappointing.

Another disappointing night for the u20s. Tactically shocking. Hail-Mary's constantly landing down on a dominant backline. Very energyless. Lacking physicality, lacking intensity... and very similar to Sunday, this time we built up a 7 point lead, it was whittled away in the blink of an eye. 1-4 in the second half and the goal was the last consolation poc when the game was over. We managed 1 point in the third quarter. Not good enough. Management slow to react. Campion was having a great game in fairness in the middle and went off injured unfortunately. JD very poor again. Left on for 50 mins

Many saying James Woodlock showing alot of promise as minor manager. I'd be trying to get Darren Gleeson into that u20 job for next year or Eoin Kelly even. Alot of fluff talk a while back about sacrificing trophies for development. Shane Brophy, who to be fair is a very good journo, however, i couldn't agree with him here. I think he was more referring to keeping the dual players which is fair enough. I still think there is no better way to develop then winning silverware. No point burning out young lads either.

TJ Ryan on Tipp's first half - 'tactically, as near perfect as you can get'. But no innovation say the lads on this page. A couple of people butt hurt because Tipp got beaten so they go on a rampage. Mother a god.

Yes, a complete collapse in the second half - thought they had it won and played like it - and got blown away. Tipp's been here before and their own have dismissed them before. I wouldn't be one of those though.

But don't say there was no innovation or something different yesterday. Mother a god - embarrassing.

Second half was mismanaged - subs too late - keeper will learn - but it's up to the backs to help him and everyone underperformed in the backs. After all Tipp's innovation and creativity - they handed two soft goals on a plate to Limerick. A man runs in from his own wing back position...

Too much space everywhere - lost shape completely. Dan Mc wasted on a marking job. Dan should be doing his own thing and not tied to shaping his game to someone else. Too good of a reader of the play for that - too important a winner of possession for that. Tipp have found a system of getting goals and just need to hold shape better, introduce subs sooner, and stop structuring our defensive tactics completely based on other teams (like dan mc or brendan doing marking jobs that should be left to markers like Barrett or Heff) But they should not throw away that new system up front - keep perfecting it - there's more goals in it. And they'll keep coming up with new things. I can't remember the last time Limerick conceded three (and we should have had more). They had spiked the pressure on Limerick and they were cracking with it - two possible reds from indiscipline went unpunished - they won't keep getting away with it. That indiscipline is a response to pressure.

Posters think Tipp will lie down now. They were hungry for that game. To be honest, I didn't they would be as hungry. Often Tipp trashed teams in a munster final and went on to get knocked out in a semi. Tipp's form under Sheedy is always aimed at peaking for the all-ireland series. If people think that Tipp won't be twice as hungry to rectify what happened last Sunday now, they're out of their minds. They'll be like rapid dogs the next time they face Limerick. They're being dragged through the mud by their own, completely dismissed by people claiming to be supporters of the team. No two ways about it, people/posters/analysts are trying to drive the coffin nails into this Tipp team and its management. I believe they have a response in them.

Posters talking about dropping Bubbles? He has scored as much from play in two games as any top forward and more than most of them. Complete over reaction and a perfect example of the type of reaction to the game.

the limerick defeat is on a par with the humiliation of 2012 and that kilkenny game.

cummins, conor obrien paul curran, mickey cahill, thomas stapleton, conor omahoney, pa bourke, brian omeara and john obrien were gone by the time 2014 came around.

the tipp team that started Sunday, pauric maher, brendan maher, noel mcgrath, bubbles, callanan, they are simply not able to produce 70 minutes of high tempo hurling. put them on the bench for rest of the year and when the year is over retire them out

whoever is manager next year needs a complete overhaul - brian mcgrath, paddy cadell, ger browne, jermoe cahill, mark kehoe, , craig morgan, eoghan connolly, bryan omara, , seymour, conor bowe, andrew ormonde need to be fast tracked into the 24

time for sheedy to get real

I thought P Maher defended as well as anybody could considering the pressure the fullback line was under , Bubbles had seven shots at the posts in the first half and scored 1-2

• Advertisement

P Maher was dreadful for Hayes goal. Shocking defending by the whole defence but especially the full back. He is too slow and lacks power for Limerick

I am not having a go at him personally. Never met him. Seems like a decent skin.

We'll just conveniently ignore the fact so that Tipp have only brought 2 players from the u20/21 winning teams into the starting lineup (one of which, Jake Morris, is in his fourth season on the panel and second as a starter) and just call them innovators anyway 🙄 In spite of the obvious failure to freshen up an ageing side, we'll pretend the management is doing something which they arent

Tipp was like 'rapid dogs' on Sunday in the first half. Why couldn't they sustain it??

Amazing that some think they are bigger supporters than others because they have blind faith in the team somehow picking themselves up and winning the All-Ireland from here. And we are then led to believe that Sunday was part of a master plan.

To be fair, Cummins played in 13 and retired of his own record, as did Johno. Conor O'Brien retired after 2016. Curran retired in 2015 after being dropped off the panel. Mickey Cahill played in up to 18 but injuries caught up with him and he didn't come back for 19. Mick Ryan was probably the most ruthless manager we had to date, however, Mick probably took too much surgery to the team on occasion and chopped and changed around far too much.

I agree with you though, not blending more young players into the team after 2019, is proving to be a massive OG and I refuse to believe its a quality issue.

I meant the selection from 2012 against cats and 2014 against cats. Completely overhauled starting 15

14 of the tipp team that started the all Ireland in 2019 started against Clare in 2021

that to me makes no sense logically Are we to believe that in a strong hurling county that produces top talent annually - that these young bucks can’t make the leap .

compete rubbish - the tipp team should have at least 2 to 3 changes a game never mind a year, John Kielys Limerick work on this principle , to me it just makes sense, it drives players work ethic and builds a real competitive team spirit

I’m not sure if it was the 2018 season, but M Ryan took the knife to the Tipp team for our first championship game V limerick after a disastrous league final game . Most of the debutants that day never played that year again and we finished up playing a great game V Clare with all the usual suspects in their usual positions. Jake hit the post at the end !

The league was the opportunity to identify new starters. Probably too late now sigh

The more I think about the Gillanes tackle the more it angers me that not one tipp player went in hard and heavy. someone should have decked him with a full strike to the head with their hurl

that moment Limerick knew they could do what they wanted to us and we were to soft to fo anything about it.

It seemed a harmless enough slap . Been beaten by fourteen would have been even worse

• Advertisement

Either way we are up against a team that is going to run at us next weekend. Waterford arguably is more physical than Cork, but either one will be a huge task.

Advertisement