Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I mean, again with the timing. It will coincide with the queens golden jubilee apparently. They should just be told to **** off, and no doubt they will which will give even more ammo. Sad, but what else can you do with a person like that?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'll probably read it. Just to see if it's filled with the same flowery self-aggrandising shíte that Finding Freedom had.

The Queen won't last for much longer. Charles won't be decisive enough to deal with it, so will probably defer to William on how to handle it. And he will come out strongly I think. It's rumoured that he wants to scrap the "never complain, never explain" stance for more serious stuff and he's got the contacts to ensure that side gets told. On one side of the divide, you've got a couple who sue papers at the drop of a hat over ridiculous reasons, and on the other you've got a family who have had a media presence as long as there's been any form of media, who have an established working relationship with the press. They may not like them, but they understand how to work with them.

@ceadaoin. I suspect the timing was deliberate. They just can't stand that the Royals are in the media and they aren't, regardless of the reason. I suspect the strategy now is to let them off with their contradictory stuff, let people realise that what H&M state is truth today is the total opposite of what they said last week and let them discredit themselves. It worked for a while when they were able to claim that the Royal Family controlled their narrative for them but they are a few years out of it now so have used up that currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I honestly feel sorry for Harry. Stuck between his dysfunctional toff circus family and his wife who is a social ladder climber with a personality disorder. The man is a prisoner in his own life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

There can't be a whole lot more that he can put in a book surely that he hasn't already bleated to anyone who is willing to pay him, oops I mean listen to him.

Without the royal connection, there ain't a whole lot more to him, by the looks of things. I suppose if Charles / William do make a move to really cut him off, that will earn him a few more interviews, and more whining. And what then... 🙄

I can't figure how they (Harry and Meghan) can't see how their words and their actions are so completely contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Be right back

I think they are aware of it, but they don't care once they are earning money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

she may be a social ladder climber (hardly the worst thing in the world in fairness) but she definitely doesn't have a personality disorder or other similar stuff going on everything available about her.

i feel sorry for the lot of them if i'm honest, the best thing that could happen is the whole thing be abolished and let these people live their lives, won't happen of course.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

I think that's what fascinates people about this i.e. how did it all come to this. If she is a social climber then she did a tremendous job of it. Married to the son and brother of future Kings, the son of one of the world's most famous women and in turn becoming one of the world's most famous women herself. She wasn't exactly a household name before meeting Harry. A life of privilege, a want for nothing, titles, fame, money. In terms of social climbing it was a win for Her Royal Highness. American, mixed race, divorced and welcomed into the fold. The rub of it though was being a Royal that works but she said she was ready to hit the ground running. I would think most would be thrilled at such a development. She knew what was involved, that there would be protocol, she's not stupid, it's a Royal family and a Monarchy not a family business where she could moonlight as a part time receptionist. The tabloids would do what they do. They always will but they thrive on drama and failing to provide it will have them seeking out other targets. There will always be racists, arseholes and critics. Again, most would intuitively understand it and would be capable of rising above it. When you become as famous as she became then it would be inevitable. It's no wonder given what happened that people will speculate about what went down. They could have easily decided to step down and be about as interesting to us as a grey rock. After they moved away and Covid took the headlines then they did just that. Nobody cared about them. They were renting, doing the odd brand building photo op’s. People lost interest but they regained that interest after the bombshells and race-baiting. You'd almost think they were seeking attention. They’ve been in the tabloids ever since, the gift that just keeps on giving. Is it any wonder that people tout personality disorders, narcissism when they’re doing that particularly that there seems to be absolutely no sense of mea culpa from them? 

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well did she not increase her celebrity status by marrying into a royal family ? Yes, she did so I think social ladder climber is an apt description.

well the discussion of whether monarchy is a good thing or a bad thing(I’m not a fan of monarchy in the modern age) is separate from the main discussion of this thread though. But I’m not a citizen of a country that has a monarchy so it’s my call whether a country who has one keeps or gets rid of them.

well yes it is a wonder given that their basis for diagnosing personality disorders and narcissism is based ultimately on nothing, since what they are trying to use is a mix of over dramatised tabloid nonsense and other stuff easily explained away that wouldn't fit such diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Easily explained to those gullible enough to buy whatever their current version of whatever story they are currently selling is.

Definitely dont compare it to any previous stories as you will see massive discrepancies between versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Royal Family and the Daily Mail should be flung off a cliff for the way they are treating these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

My take is Markle went in like a bull in China shop trying to live her best life Disney princess fever dream without any regard to what is a conservative institution that has a role and a point that transcends her giddy fantasies, and without reference to the fact she is a peripheral royal. She got spat out by the system.

There are two toxicities at play: The royal household and all its trappings, and Markle LARPing her childhood fantasies. All of them can get in the sea. It's Harry I feel sorry for, stranded in California doing meaningless sweetheart CSR gigs for American companies, and trapped by his bonkers scorned wife who will doubtless hold the kids hostage when it all goes wrong.

which royal household exactly ? Isn’t there a few of them. I did feel sorry for Harry but he’s doing a lot to become dislikable. And if there is a divorce(and given his parents and his aunt and uncle divorced) he will not come out of it well. If he was in the UK he might have a chance but not in America. If I was him I wouldn’t get that attached to his house in California.

Well it's hardly the Japanese royal household I'm talking about is it? 😂

I **** know it’s not the Japanese one. I meant which royal household within the British royal family(all the major royals have one) or was it the family as whole.

Why doesn't he say no to her? They are probably as bad as each other, wanting more and more all the time!

not at all, just easily explained away in genneral.

from anything i have saw, those not dismissing what they say outright aren't gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well you HAVE to dismiss anything they previously said. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to accept the latest retcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If I could thank this post multiple times I would because this has been my interpretation for a long time also.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

I remember when Meghan first came to our notice. Harry issued a press release condemning the harassment and racial abuse directed at his girlfriend. This was 18 months before they’d gotten married 4 months after they started dating when she was unknown. It set the scene for their behaviour since. If they’re not in the public eye, issue a statement containing some unsubstantiated, attention grabbing claims. Job done. Until the next time.

Watching her walk alone down the aisle made me pity poor Harry. There wasn’t ONE male in her life who she could ask to give her away!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sharon_B

Or female? My mother walked me down the aisle as my father had passed 3 years previously.

Absolutely. I understand that her mother was overwhelmed by the idea, but surely to goodness, one of her many friends could have stepped in. Especially George Clooney! Who would give up a chance to walk down an aisle on his arm….even if it was in the wrong direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Meghan walked on her own to maximise the attention on her and her alone. Charles stepping in halfway down just showed how special she is (in her own head).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sharon_B

Maryanne848:48 am

I remember when Meghan first came to our notice. Harry issued a press release condemning the harassment and racial abuse directed at his girlfriend. This was 18 months before they’d gotten married 4 months after they started dating when she was unknown. It set the scene for their behaviour since. If they’re not in the public eye, issue a statement containing some unsubstantiated, attention grabbing claims. Job done. Until the next time.

Watching her walk alone down the aisle made me pity poor Harry. There wasn’t ONE male in her life who she could ask to give her away!

there is no doubt she was subject ultimately to racial abuse.

Which the royal family could have and did protect her from because I personally think the British press plays undue deference to the royal family on many things but this is where that strategy works. And If Harry and Meghan expected buck house to respond to every little column inch about them then they were very naive. From what I see they only release statements and commence legal actions when it warrants it. The phrase “I won’t dignify that with an answer comes to mind.”

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have no sympathy for Harry, tbh. I can't believe that he is going along with, and indeed adding to the hurt and spite towards his own family. While preaching the opposite, of course, to the great unwashed.

I do think Meghan pretty much sought him out, and thought that she could have everything her own way, and then discovered things didn't quite work that way, and that she was up against a very powerful and traditional institution, in the royal family.

I think he is now very isolated, whether he realises it or not. He put on a show, (acted a part), when he returned for the unveiling of the statue. Even more so than for Philip's funeral.

This book that tells all... that's every boat and bridge gone up in such smoke that there will be no coming back from it, in my opinion.

More drama.

• Advertisement

Advertisement