Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's a good question, deffo a couple of k anyhow but hard to put an exact amount.

Only SuC benefit that we can put an amount on was free lifetime SuC which Tesla sold for a period of time for a once of €1,400/$1,500

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's not the price, it's the convenience. It's knowing that on the trip to Kerry or a spin to cork I have the network "safety" of those chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

If it was the other way round and Tesla owners were excluded from Ionity or Esb would the Tesla super chargers be enough for someone to buy Tesla?

It would be interesting to see the split Tesla drivers have between using Tesla/ non Tesla chargers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Probably yes, once the last few planned ones get installed (Athenry, Enfield, Sandyford, Belfast), that's pretty much it for me as far as using ESB is concerned....

I've been mostly all over the country in my Tesla, and only 'needed' a charge from ESB on 2 occasions (both the same trip to Cork back in February), but with Mahon Point now online, I'll never need to use ESB's network going anywhere sough of the Dublin-Galway line...

Thats exactly why we were happy to pay the Tesla premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Not that I believe what Elon says for a minute, but what a blow for the other networks that are trialing the Plug & Charge for the last 2 years now? Interesting. I have seen superchargers installed and commissioned in days (in other countries, just to avoid confusion. Although Mahon Point was quick enough) Wouldn't be nice to have these SuC popping up at every corner of the country? They are prefab now so once the juice is available (and here is the big bottleneck) some pliers would suffice. :)

Look at ecars that after 2 months didn't get their first hub to work properly. Another small hub is installed and not commissioned for the last six months now? and Porlaoise HPC limited to 50kW for the last year? Ionity made recharging on the go more expensive than petrol prematurely so maybe the salvation comes from Tesla. Is not this their aim? Sustainable transport

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

From Dublin perhaps it's useful (and Cork is only online about 2 weeks now), but originating in Cork it offers very little. Ballacolla is pretty much the only useful one. I might have a different opinion if/when Tesla add more hubs (to be fair to them, they do them right when they install them. Multiple units ftw), but at the same time i've 350-450km of range in my car, several €k more money in my pocket from the purchase price, a more practical car, and I've had to fast charge maybe once since i've bought the car - only because I didn't charge overnight for some stupid reason. Other time I fast charged was because I felt guilty plugging in for 24 hours at my parents house :)

If the ESB network was much stronger (actual hubs at all motorway locations) would the resistance to opening up SuC to all be so high?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

But when you buy a Tesla now, you don't get free charging, right? You just get access to their units at 29c/kWh, yeah? Considering lifetime SuC was €1400, then just the ability to use them should be way way less. Seems like the premium Tesla owners paid isn't too significant IMO. €1400 vs 29c/kWh... on an 85kWh battery car thats about 56 full charges (<20k km). If you've paid for unlimited you'd certainly be hitting well over those 56 full charges. I could certainly see that "premium" being marketed as paying for reduced rates, and everyone else just paying double.

Don't worry, if they open it up, I very much doubt i'll be using any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Going to be using Ballacolla and Mahon Point today. First time using the SuC network in 10 months of owning the car.

Update. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. Arrived at Ballacolla with 16% and went up to 103kW before tapering to 90. 30 mins later was still pulling 67kW. Higher SoC at Mahon point so started around 90 kW and ended up with 16kWh in 18 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm very much like yourself garo. Rarely need the Supercharging network. But when you end up using it (because the satnav tells you to stop there and charge - you don't even have to plan trips in a Tesla), you just open your charge port of your car, lift the cable from the charger and stick it into your car. No apps, no cards, no payments, nothing. No queues or waiting time. No failures or having to ring helplines. It just works and your car charges. And charges very quickly.

• Advertisement

Don’t even have to open your charge port, there’s a button on end of the charge cable that does that for you.

Herself charged up in Mahon Point yesterday, one stall covered over and one out of action, red model 3 charging. For the first time ever we got the Tesla notification that charging is nearing completion (get it at 90%) but with tapered charging you’ve plenty of time to make your way back to the car and move on (and avoid the €1/minute overstay fee!!!)

Just pulled in to birdhill and it's the first time I've not seen an ICE car or van in one of the charging bays!!

In fairness it's early enough on a Sunday morning but normally there's one idiot!!

Correct! The older cables in Birdhill don't have it but the new ones at Mahon Point do. One thing I found a bit fiddle was detaching the CCS adapter from the cable. The damn thing was hot from the charging - not intolerably so - but you had to pull at it pretty hard.

Top tip, when I got the CCS adapter I put bright pink tape on it as you (or other half) could easily leave it attached and drive away...

That is definitely something that occurred to me. Would be so easy to leave it and drive off.

“Tesla CEO Elon Musk was asked about the plan to open the Supercharger network during Tesla’s Q2 earnings conference call and confirmed the strategy:

We are thinking about a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, you go to the Supercharger, you just indicate which stall you are in, you plug in your car, even if it’s not a Tesla, and you just access the app to tell “turn on the stall that I’m in for how much electricity,” and this should work for almost any manufacturer’s electric car.

The CEO confirmed that this would be available to anyone in markets where Tesla uses the CCS standard.”

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

Hi - Heading to Belfast for a few days. Staying in Belfast, traveling to Giants Causeway etc. Any advice on how to charge in Northern Ireland. Obviously, supercharger are fine but not too many there so what about regular charging? Needless to say the ESB card won't work so can you just use a credit card?

Many thanks

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Supercharging network is just so convenient for road trips because of just plug and go regardless which country you're in. Drove from Ireland->Finland this past week and talking about zero stress: Didn't need to queue at any of the chargers, didn't need to figure out which of the 10 apps or tags to use and the car shows how much each of the sessions costs to charge. Also thanks to the 1100 remaining referral bonus supercharger kilometres meant we only used about €37 (€17 at tesla and €20 at one particular hotel) yoyo for charging on the 2500 km trip from home. Pity about the other costs for hotels and ferries but what I mean is that it is literally as convenient to drive a Tesla than an ICE on a long trip thanks to the fab Supercharging network. The 300/400 km between the 30 or 40 min charge breaks were perfect for coffee and lunch breaks and that was with us driving as fast as we liked with the level of traffic on the roads.

I'm afraid what will happen when the chargers are opened for other makes as we saw plenty of congestion at the other charger networks. And some of the SC sites were close to the capacity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brianberu

I did a Northern Ireland road trip last summer and used plug share to find free charging at tourist hot spots. We had no problem charging at Giants Causeway, Titanic Museum and Hillsborough Gardens. The Northern Ireland chargers show up in the ESB app but we didn't try any when we were up there but I think you can use them.

Many thanks for that. I'm really just concerned about getting around. I don't have any preference which charger I use. I haven't heard of 'plug share' so I'll check that out. I just happen to have an ESB card but on the other ones can you just use a credit card? Or did you have to register before the trip? Appreciate the feedback.

• Advertisement

All public chargers are free to use in the north and work with your ESB card. I've used them quite a bit and haven't had any major problems. There are quite a few close to my parents home in Tyrone and they are practically empty all day every day. Again....no charge to charge!!

Thanks for the message - so even if it's not an ESB charger, the ESB card will work with them?

No only the "proper" northern Ireland electric chargers are compatible with the ESB card. The chargers are the exact same as the ESB ones in the Republic. I don't think I e seen any private companies chargers in the north but I stand to be corrected on that.

So final question hopefully - All the other chargers that are not ESB - Can you pay for them on the spot with a credit card or do you need to effectively sign up to the provider. I'm heading up to the Giants Causeway and I believe there are no ESB charging points anywhere near it. #rangeanxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

There is an ESB charger in Bushmills, just down the road from the Giants Causeway. The Bushmills Inn is a nice place to eat if you are waiting around. Portrush also has an Esb charger which is not far away.

There are two Tesla destination chargers at the Salthouse Hotel in Ballycastle, only 7kw though, again a great spot for lunch/dinner although you would need to book.

Portrush has a few chargers and a 50kw charger at the maxol station. There isn't as many electric cars on the road up north so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a free charger.

Bjorns take on opening the network

Well Elon I hope you know what you're doing if you are going to open the network up.

Charged in birdhill earlier and there were 5 of us there ( 1 bay isn't working so in effect there are 6 charging points). All of the applegreen's own chargers were in use.

Of course the obligatory dīckhead in a beemer estate pulled into the last free bay. Wasn't impressed when I put my passenger window down and told him he's blocking the last available space. In fairness he moved off fairly lively.

Looking at the map and it was showing 1 free space in birdhill and 2 in cork. I know it's a bank holiday Monday and people are travelling back home but it's going to be some kick in the nuts as a Tesla driver to have to queue behind VW's, Hyundai's etc to use a Tesla charger!!

• Advertisement

That bay is not working for years, same in Cork, they never commissioned the 4th bay and the 1st bay is not working after first day or so from memory.

If a bay is not working then the red Tesla lettering at top of bay will not be lit up.

I've a Scottish Uni drop off next week and joy of Tesla is the 8 at Castlebellingham North, 12 at Eurocentral Glasglow and 8 at Aberdeen, I've never had to queue at a Tesla SuC location ever and just two stops cover me from Athlone to Aberdeen

Advertisement