Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

First time using easygo today at IKEA. Had the fob and app set up on the phone. Swiped the fob but couldn’t get it to start. Tried to add funds to the easygo wallet but the transaction wouldn’t go through. Called easygo, they said they are having problems with the IOS app and it won’t allow funds to be added. You have to log in through the website to add funds. Anyway, easygo started the charge remotely and all worked in the end.

Moved down to decathlon, first charger I plugged into didn’t recognise the easygo fob at all. Tried the plug on the other side and no problem.

No easygo chargers in Galway so couldn’t try it out before today, but hopefully should be no more problems. There’s always the “will it work” moment when you try a new charger for the first time, but gets easier with experience.

Had to explain to a Leaf driver at decathlon why the Esb card wouldn’t work on easygo. They hadn’t heard of them before but once I told them what to do they had no problem.

Easygo have very little signage at the chargers compared to Esb, but they answered my call very quickly and resolved my issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Rarely have issues with EasyGo. I think I had to call them once. Then again I've mainly only used their charge points in Lidl and did use one of the motorway ones once. I think their app (at least on android) is far better than esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looks like Bjorn had some issues with a borrowed Model X at the Superchargers 😱

Nothing wrong with the car, seems like the car was between owners in Tesla's systems and had no payment method, so the Supercharging got cut off as a result

I know we all bemoan the legion of RFID cards and app, and Tesla's plug and charge system is definitely the best out there. But I still don't see what was so wrong with the model of paying someone for stuff that it had to be gotten rid of 😀

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The tesla one works best because the DC units are "dumb" and all the tech including regulating who can charge and at what rate, is done by the car liaising with base.

The problem here was taking a long trip by someone who was neither the buyer nor the seller, right at the change of ownership time.

If it wasnt Bjorn I would call this FUD as it would never happen in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Unless someone succeeds in stealing one and the owners reports it. I think it is normal behavior and they could have foresee it will happen. The original owner probably removed the credit card details once the car left their premises without considering the consequences.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So I was having a mooch around PlugShare last week while Boards was down, looking at how Dublin compared to some other cities in terms of DC charging, and was fairly shocked at what I saw!!

Dublin (city population: 554,554);

Vilnius (city population: 588,412);

Riga (city population: 614,618);

Reykjavik (population 131,136);

Porto (city population: 215,945);

Fairly shocking from a country that wants to outlaw new ICE car sales in 8.5 years....., and have 1m EV's on the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think you've been generous to Dublin by including the GDA.

If you take the same view as the other cities shown (ie only the immediate city area) it's worse again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

can you overlay house types?

do we have more people living in houses which allows charging at home ? So less of a requirement for DC charging ?

I can’t foresee me ever needing a DC charger in Dublin.

• Advertisement

We do have pretty low population density compared to many continental European cities, there tends to be more apartment dwellers.

Still, it's pretty terrible performance when you consider the screenshots were all of fairly similar sized cities

Well, looks like it's doomsday for the Tesla owners out there

I for one am happy to pay any amount of money Elon demands for the privilege of using such a high quality network for my lowly VW 😁

It looks like access will be through the Tesla mobile app, which I guess would remove any need for other manufactuers to do much work and would allow Tesla to charge other cars whatever they wanted. Anyone want to bet it'll be 73c/kWh? 🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Better be 173c kWh

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Post written by Stephen Homles on LinkedIn but I came across it on Reddit. We've seen plenty of ridiculous questions regarding EVs so Stephen did the same for ICE.

I am thinking of replacing my electric car with a petrol car and have some questions.

1. I have heard that petrol cars can not refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Is this several times a year? Will there be a solution for refueling at home?

2. Which parts will I need service on and how often? The car salesman mentioned a box with gears in it. What is this and will I receive a warning with an indicator when I need to change gear?

3. Can I accelerate and brake with one pedal as I do today with my electric car?

4. Do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill? I assume so, but need to ask to be sure.

5. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?

6. We currently pay about 1.2p per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 10 times as much so I reckon we will lose some money in the beginning. We drive about 20,000 miles a year. Let's hope more people will start using petrol so prices go down.

7. Is it true that petrol is flammable? Should I empty the tank and store the petrol somewhere else while the car is in the garage?

8. Is there an automatic system to prevent gasoline from catching fire or exploding in an accident. What does this cost?

9. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution to these problems?

10..I have heard that cars with internal combustion based engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens?? Is that true??

I may have more questions later, but these are the most important ones to me at the moment. Thank you in advance for your reply.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Amazing what people accept just because it's the norm. The "mining materials forces child labour and ruins the planet" one always gets me. You'd swear oil extraction and refining wasn't terrible for the environment/nations/animals/health/energy consumption.

Not to mention that it's the main customer of that particular material often associated with the child labour and dodgy mining practices

I'm sure the oil industry steers well clear of that however, they never get involved with any person or organisation of ill repute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I’ll just wait for Toyota to release a self refuelling car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Oh but it would be wrong to accept government subsidies while charging such a high price 😉

My bet is 69c/kWh, undercuts Ionity and fits in with Tesla's S3XY jokes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Why under cut ionity, charge plenty, get the good PR of opening up for all cars, but not have everyone choosing a supercharger over ionity.

They are self funded. And it's a perk of having a Tesla.

*And I'm not a Tesla owner, but will it would be nice to have that option if I was stuck and needed a quick charge. And if it was expensive, it would be quick lol

True, plus I suspect many Tesla owners wll be unhappy if other cars are getting a good deal for Superchargers

If they open the network then they're eligible for grants. I can't imagine Tesla will be saying no to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Prague which is the same population as Dublin & Suburbs and similar area too:

I think it's 45-50 DC on the same area, roughly.

Latvia is doing very well given it's small size...

Bratislava, a city size of Cork Metropolitan Area (400k), is not bad either:

Cork for comparison - whopping 5 pieces😣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

The whole population density argument in Ireland must go really. It's used to block any infrastructure progress. Will never build any sort of infra with that logic...You build infra where you want to grow. Just like train track was build in Europe and the West of US 150-200 years ago. Or if it's critical infra, like motorway/core route DC infrastructure then it's a strategic matter quiet independent of density.

Latvia has 34 people/sq. km population density. Look at their DC map. Didn't stop them building away DC.

Finland, Sweden, Norway etc etc. Low density countries, Finland and Norway have 1 large city, 1 medium city, and then smaller towns, basically just like Ireland.

I'd say Norway has also a lot of hytter (huts i.e. houses)...EDIT: as per Statista 77% Norwegians lives in a hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If you were the guy in the white ID4 this morning in Dingle you couldn't have been luckier. A blue ID4 was pulling out as I was unplugging my car so you had the 2 sides to choose from!!

A girl in a focus quickly pulled into one space and asked me "can I park here if my car has no cable?". I told her not to as it's like blocking a petrol pump and there are only 2 of these charging points on the entire dingle peninsula. I gave her directions to a nearby carpark and off she went!! Thankfully in Dingle this last month I've seen no ICE cars blocking the charging points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So down around Cork at the weekend, saw a few Leafs but wow a lot of ID4's a few ID3's but by far the most common was the Model 3, rakes of them.

SuChargers were well in use, both stalls used while I was there for 3 charges in Mahon point and there was an X and two Model 3s in Ballacolla on the way home. Chap I was chatting to at Ballacolla said 6 in his workplace had just got MIC M3's for reduced BIK and all delighted with them, some serious charging rates at Manon for the M3 MIC

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stopped at Mayfield this afternoon for a nosey at the new chargers and a quick coffee. An elderly lady pulled in to a bay in an A3 hybrid. Her and her son were struggling big time with the cables. They were trying to put their charging cable into the end of the DC fast charger cable!!

I went over and got her sorted (it's ac only so she moved to the regular charger which is untethered). Both of them had loads of questions about cables, the ESB app, how long would €20 credit last, apps for finding charge points etc. It's obvious that some dealers aren't too bothered about helping out some people after the sale is made. Did anyone here get much advice from the dealer after the sale or was it a case of "here's the keys and good luck"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Oh dear, a PHEV at a DC charger! There'll be war yet 😆 & you, a BEV driver, aided & assisted 😝.

IIRC, the new A3 has a decent sized battery for a PHEV - 15kWh & can charge at 11kW on AC. Still, she'd need to stay connected for well over an hour & pay close to €5 for enough charge to travel just 50kms max, at motorway speed, while blocking any AC43kW capable Renaults.

I dunno, but people paying €40k+ for a brand new car, yet having no idea what they are buying, or how to best use them, seems mad to me. A salesman is gonna sell whatever he is most incentivised to sell - it's not their job to educate the public or forward environmental issues.

Does a new M3 come with a granny cable (sorry if this was asked before)?

I was up near Achill last week and was able to charge my ID.4 using the supplied granny cable, but my neighbour in his M3 had to use whatever public (not supercharger) facilities he came across. There are a few public sites around the area which would keep you going, but I was surprised he didn't get the cable with the car and he hadn't seen one before?

Would there be any issues using a branded granny charger with a different make of car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Does a new M3 come with a granny cable?

Yes.

Maybe his is in in the boot under the false floor or hidden elsewhere, in the frunk? It comes in a square black bag & he should check with Tesla if he didn't get it. I'd be surprised at that though.

Advertisement