Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible new Job!

• 21-07-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking to gauge some opinions on my job conundrum,

I was approached last week to manage a new store by a lad I hardly know, (met twice in passing never gave my phone number)

this store is probably an extra 25mins commute in the morning and an extra 40 mins going home!

where I am now I’ve no issues decent money €45k then €4000 bonus if targets met. hours suit me I’m up at 4,30 to start for 6 but usually there before 6, finish at about 3.30/45 most days, Saturdays finish at 3(only take 30mins lunch) no Sunday work or late nights.

possible new job ice been given two options..

€50k salary with a10% share of profits year end or €55k straight with a decent bonus at year end. Hours start a bit later(extra sleep) but don’t finish until at least 6pm, which would mean I possibly wouldn’t be home until 7.30 depending on traffic or route taken(I’ve a few choices)

so I was given a week to think it over and to my wife,(we’ve a two year old and 4 month old) she’s so happy for me but I’d miss dinner times and possibly bedtime, which could mean I’d hardly see them! Also offered a van soon after if I take the job…

so I said no to the job based on the possible long commute home and me not getting home until the 7.30pm mark and even that on a Saturday( finish at 3 is a bit ocd on my side, I’ve become accustomed to it)

I though I called his bluff about finishing early.. but he bounced back with I’d rather the right man there 60/70% of the time then the wrong man there 100% of the time! He’s going to chat with his business partner to see if they can let me sort my own hours instead of running with normal trading hours as expected. I was like balls, if he comes back and says I can do similar to what I’m doing now I’d feel like a dick saying no to it!

i am happy where I am, there’ll always be bad days as that’s normal of any job!

if anyone has had a similar situation, I’d love to hear from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd stay where you are, the extra hours working and commuting are not worth the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Xander10

A new store might offer more money, but might be less secure, in terms of start up and covid issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I think there's a couple of bits your worried about here:

Kids, You'll now get to see them in the morning, Get them ready for school (If the 4-year-old is starting this year), and maybe even drop them to school.

By the sounds of it you're doing a 6 day week? How are you not recked? Your mad working all those hours and days. Do you get a day off during the week? At the start you will prob work loads of hours but if you have staff once they are trained up you can offload some responsibility to them. My father owned a shop while I was growing up, Brought us to school each day before heading off 6 or 7 days a week but after a while, he was able to get good staff and trust them with the place while he took a day off.

If it was me, I would prob take it, Take the lower salary and the profit share. But you are going to have to check the contract with regards to the profit. Is it profit after he takes his cut, He could take it all and give you nothing so make sure its down on paper before you start where the profit number comes from. Once that's in place you can work your arse off as you know every penny you bring in is going into your own pocket. Have it in my own job, Took a lower salary but a higher commission and so far it's made all the work worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

ive been always leaning that way, but wasn’t expecting him to go for negotiated hours I’m looking for..

my commute in the morning is 35-40 mins

commute home currently 45-55 mins(depending on traffic.

new commute morning 60-70min

new commute home 70-90min depending on traffic

like it’s an extra at least 5 hours a week driving..

Thanks,

I do get a day off during the week, should’ve mentioned that. But the phone is always on..

I probably wouldn’t get to bring the kids to school, looks like at the latest an 8am start so I’d be on the road at 6.30/45. I’m hoping to start earlier as it’ll mean I’ll get at least the evenings with them before bed etc..

the money, it’s 10% before his cut , but I’ve been leaning towards the 55k but still work my bollix off in the hole he might go for the 10% as I still showed im committed and hard working..

ive Been driven demented by it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

First thing is; how secure is the new job? You like where you are, can you leverage your current position to bridge the gap to the money on offer at the new place?

The fact that they seem to want you badly means nothing other than they can't get someone. Them being desperate doesn't guarantee anything. Being happy in your work is a brilliant thing, look through the work problems thread here to see what the opposite looks like.

That’s an unknown but they have 3 successful businesses up the country, want to break the cork market and expand from there if all works out.

my boss has been known to offer more of a valuable staff member was to leave and try and keep them.. I’d be uncomfortable with that, could want more and more then and you end up leaving anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

It depends on your reason of thinking of leaving in the first place too.

I stayed in a job once, was offered a new one, told my current employer I was leaving, got a 20% pay rise but I still left after 7 months as the reason behind me looking in the first place hadn't changed.

I got in with a company before also where you got profit share, but like that, you were expected to give 150% all the time. I mean 2 days after my dad died I was expected back to the office sort of thing.

In the end, I have a great balance now which works for me and the kids, so weigh up everything, including why you think you want to leave. If you wish, I would speak to your employer. Beleive me, if one of my good staff come to me I will try my best to get a package that suits them.

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose I was never thinking about leaving but this has turned my head, it’s the responsibility of it all which got me excited but then the risk brings me back down to earth. It’s a business that closed due to the owner retiring and this group want to reopen this business which was successful, so I’m not sure is there much risk? I’d be involved in the hiring and firing so I wont (fingers crossed) hire eejits

ive been toying with going to my boss, but what would you say?

now I think I called their bluff when it came to having a better work life balance if I was to take the job, told them straight out, working past 5pm will mean I miss out on my kids dinner and possibly their bedtime! I can’t do that personally.. now like he did say he’d rather the right man there 60/70% of the time then the wrong man there 100% of the time.

He’s to get back to me today after consulting his business partner and see if they can work me starting early and finishing early….

Hi,

I would disagree with what others said above around " getting anyone" I have around 80 staff who work for me and believe me, having trust in someone is worth a lot. I agree with the new guy, a motivated worker who is hard-working, loyal, and will get the job done is better there 70% of the time than someone who is only there " from the neck down".

Everything in life is a risk. so it depends on what you want. I would still say it to the current employer also, you would be surprised that employers tend to forget about you if you are doing well. squeaky wheel and all that!

• Advertisement

He did seek me out, looked for my phone number etc!

I don’t know what I’ll gain from saying it to my current employer though?

what have you done previously when a valuable staff member was going to leave but you wanted to keep him/her?

Hi,

Well if he sought you out, that 100% isn't a case of " anyone will do" they specifically wanted you.

In the past when a good staff has said they were leaving, I would sit with them, ask them what was the motivation for the leave ( money, hours, jobs etc) and see what can be done to sort some or all of it. Mostly it's money, but some it was training for a new role, mentorship or moving closer to home. I try to have a fairly open-door policy and be flexible with my staff, but sometimes other factors can play a huge part.

I would have a list of the ideal things you want, and use this for both employers. The worst your current can say is no, the worst can happen with the new chap is they say no. All in all your in a good place, your wanted, sound like a good asset and have a good head on your shoulders.

Thanks for that.

looks like I called his bluff on the starting and finishing times. He was due to get back to me Tuesday evening and have heard nothing back.

I won’t read too much into it, but hopefully down the line if something crops up closer to home or my current job I’ll be sought out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

I think you are right to stay where you are, you are working a very long week already. 6 days every week is working out around 48-50hours per week every week. The extra money isnt that much after tax. Really surprised that a 6 day work week scheduled every week is allowed but a quick google says it is as long as its max 48 hours from what I can see. That's very onerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's off Sunday and he's off another day in the week. It's not a 6 day week.

Yeah off 2 days in the week, I do 10 hour days 5 days with an hour lunch

Back again!!!

an old employer has come knocking on my door. Met with them this evening to see what they wanted/offering.

its a promotion of sorts and a slight increase (€1000)on my current salary, the thing is here it’s on my doorstep. No more commuting!!

have any of ye any experience going back to a previous employer? I left on good terms a few years ago, so there’s no hard feelings!

Advertisement