Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport and Bike Boxes - Predicting Chaos & Disappointment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was there last weekend, and the weekend before and had no issues with entering myself.

I travelled back in May and I was never checked when entering the airport to ensure I was actually travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

As I said, I didn't try to enter the building, but I would understand anyone assuming no entry unless you're flying based on all the new signage.

Definitely, a lot of people who were collecting arrivals were waiting outside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I've been there twice in the last month, once at arrivals and latterly at departures. It was strictly no entry if you were not a passenger.

I guess we were there at different times then. Very early morning for the two recent trips. There weren't even Gardai checking reason for travelling, as I had encountered in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I've been told the Garda checks only start after 8am.

• Advertisement

That's handy 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

I asked DAA about this and whether it was T1 or T2 specific. Rather than answering the question they said I would need to contact airline directly on whether they would accept my bike box (which is a sci con aerocomfort soft bag which defo won’t fit that gauge) as it depends on the aircraft being used.

Surely the airlines all use the same system to get baggage from check-in to the plane. Not sure how joined up the thinking is up there in the airport.

Next stop, Ryanair customer service…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Oversize baggage is unchanged in T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

This.

I went through T1 on Sat morning and my Bike Box Alan went through with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

Has anybody flown in the past couple of weeks with their bike boxes. We are a group heading away on the 10th September and there are 9 of us all with bike boxes flying with AL from T2. I did try and contact Aer Lingus with a query on transporting bike boxes but no response yet.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Isn't there normally a limit on the number of bikes per plane anyway? might need to make sure they are all already booke din just in case any one else on that flight is planning on bringing one.

"On Aer Lingus flights, a maximum limit of ten bicycles per flight applies, except in the following airports where, due to high cargo volumes, a restriction of six bicycles per-flight applies: Prague, Lisbon, Frankfurt, Zurich, Vienna, Amsterdam, Budapest"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/sports-equipment/

Your best bet is to fill in the form there under the bicycles section or contact the reservations office directly, there's a limited number of bike spots on a flight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Any time i've flown with AL i do the following:

1. check flights
    2. complete the online booking right up the the point you are asked for your credit card.
    3. before making payment, i call Aer lingus, give them the flight details and confirm that they will take the bikes.
    4. once they confirm, i then make the payment by card and give them the booking reference over the phone.
    5. the Customer service agent then takes my card details over the phone and adds the bikes to my booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

Thanks all. I booked a bike direct with reservations, not sports equipment, so that shouldn't be an issue, was just concerned regarding the size of the boxes as referenced in the original posts.

Advertisement