Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

It was the same for me. Got my 1st jab in the Helix, then just before I was due my 2nd jab, they started moving it over to Swords. So I got hit by a delay and got my 2nd jab in Swords 5 weeks and 2 days after the 1st. In any case, that's only supposed to give me a better immune reaction I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yeah, it's no big deal really. I booked a week away with the family for next week thinking I'd be done and dusted but will probably end up having to travel up to get it if I get called next week.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 24 imme62

Both my daughters were recently registered. 18 yr old ( cohort 9) getting pfizer jab tomorrow, fantastic. However, her 17 yr old sister who was registered same time but in group 7 ( underlying illness) hasnt had an appointment yet. Im more concerned about her. I have spoken to hse live who simply say she will be called when theres vaccine supply available, but there obviously is, as her healthy sister is getting hers! Can anyone advise me how i might be able to get her an appointment. Gp isnt vaccinating so he registered her online but there was a bit of a mix up and shes only showing up as registered this week, though i believe most in her category have already had their vaccines. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sorry if this was answered before but can anyone explain for me the huge discrepancy between the % of population vaccinated from these two sources:

HSE/Paul Reid Twitter: 80% partially vaccinated, 66% fully vaccinated.

OurWorldInData site: 63% partially vaccinated, 46% fully vaccinated.

Sources:

HSE/Paul Reid Twitter: https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1418070872636723200

OurWorldinData: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations?country=IRL

The OurWorldInData site uses HSE website here at it's source: https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/ This is a day or two behind the numbers Paul Reid has, but it doesn't explain the ~20% difference in the numbers.

Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

Paul's figure I suspect is based on percentage of adult population.

World data would then be based on percentage of full population.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

Paul Reid gives figures for adults. 80% of adults are partially vaccinated, 66% fully vaccinated.

Ourworldindata gives the percentages for the population as a whole and the figures are usually a few days behind. The percentage of the total population fully vaccinated is now closer to 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is getting ridiculous - who do you think is at more health risk from this virus - two people of normal health, one aged 45 and the other 65??

The plain fact of the matter is that there were people in their 40s fully vaccinated when I in my 60s caught Covid and was only partially vaccinated. Yes, that one AZ first dose vaccine likely saved me from the worst effects of the virus but I still have several ongoing symptoms.

It's not the HSEs fault that I caught Covid. But it is a demonstrable failure of their vaccination strategy that I was left only partially vaccinated till July, whilst at the same time they were double jabbing people decades younger.

The HSE played a type Russian Roulette with peoples health with this strategy. Yes it was a risk and may have worked out for the best for most but clearly some were not going to be protected as well as they could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Bit 9f advice. Son due to get Pfizer this morning in Cork. Just got a text 50 mins before appointment to say it's not Pfizer but Moderna.

Is the duration between shots the same, 28 days.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Good news!

Ireland has been really performing well these last 3weeks, better than any country in Europe. We have 5% of adult population getting their first dose every week, we will probably be at 85% end of July. Give it 2weeks for the doses to kick in and mid-august we should see the number of cases plummeting in the 20s-30s cohorts

People are not very optimistic with the Delta variant, but every day we are reducing the network of possible hosts for the virus. What will happen when it will have reached all the teens and < 25s and it has nowhere new to go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Thanks, wanted to reconfirm as hse isn't the best for updating information.

He was hoping to get Pfizer all along so this threw him, had no research done. Too late to look for a new appointment on the portal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Done in Citywest this morning. 27yo.

Absolutely rammed. Great system though.

Anyone that has a vaccine appointment there go earlier 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Seems to really flying along, people in their early 20s getting appointments right left and centre next week. Hoping we'll reach 6 million doses in less than 2 weeks time. We'll exceed the UK's % vaccinated soon, if not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ryans1993

Anyone know where I can get a plastic holder for my vaccination card?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Got the first Moderna shot a few hours ago. Feel completely fine so far. Some initial stiffness and shakiness in the arm I got it in, but nothing I would even notice if I wasn't looking for side effects.

Centre was run very efficiently. Glanced at their appointment sheet and it looks completely full for the day. Marshalls at every corner to point you in the right direction (it looks like they're employing a lot of young people to do this, which is great to see). Staff all seemed to be in a very good mood. Bottles of cold water being handed out to people in anticipation of the heat today.

Nurse was very thorough in explaining potential side effects and how best to manage them (main advice was to drink a lot of fluids). Didn't even feel the needle go in. Was out 15 minutes later.

I hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

IT article states: “Negotiations on extra vaccine purchases from other EU countries, like Romania, are ongoing”

Was this not first announced 3 weeks ago? What sort of intricate negotiations have been going on in the meantime? We will have the population vaccinated by the time these negotiations are completed...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nats9314

Got 2nd Morderna yesterday....23mins from walk in to walk out, including the 15min monitoring....extremely well organised...letterkenny. feel like I've been hit by a fleet of buses now though....itll be worth it 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

pfizer & moderna are virtually the exact same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Don't those vaccines have an expiry date in the short termish future too?

They must be planning to jab the secondary school kids throughout August with the Romanian jabs to prevent disruptions to the school year. If one kid got Covid would the rest of the class have to self isolate at home?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Not to be excessively doom and gloomy, because I also fully believe we are in the end stages of the pandemic, at least in countries with high levels of vaccination. Once all adults and teens are done, the virus can and will still circulate among children. And for as long as such a large unvaccinated section of the population still exists, there is still some degree of risk, especially to those with compromised immune systems who rely on herd immunity. Hopefully at least one of the vaccines will be found to be safe for 5-12 year olds in the very near future because it really would be ideal if we could get children vaccinated in early winter.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Age 29, registered for Pfizer first dose last Friday the 16th, got my text Saturday the 17th. Vaccinated this morning in MTU Cork, all done within a six day period, not a bad service. No symptoms as of yet so hopefully that continues!

I was in and out of the centre in 25 minutes, and that includes that 15 minute observation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

What would you have had them do back in April/May ? Stop jabbing until everyone got Pfizer/Moderna ? How many weeks/months/lives would that have cost us ? They could have kept the dosage gap at 4 weeks for AZ, but the longer gap was shown to give better efficacy and the thoughts at the time were that it was better to have more people partially protected. Hindsight is great and the Delta has changed things but the advice that the best vaccine is the first one you're offered was and is still true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was wrongly reported that the Romanian vaccines are due to expire soon, but it seems it's months away in fact. They must be confident enough of getting their hands on sufficient vaccines in coming weeks (from whatever source) given that we are now vaccinating 60k people a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not sure if I've missed someone running the numbers, but we must surely be down to the last couple of weeks of 18+ first doses.

We're at 3.02m with at least one dose as of yesterday, out of 3.8m. 90% uptake is 3.42m, 95% uptake is 3.61.

30k first doses/day would get us there in 13 days/20 days respectively, i.e. 3 Aug/10 August.

Even 90% seems like a quite optimistic target.

Not sure what we'll do with the Janssen that's arriving later in August. It's no use to people with one dose of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

They will go to the Covax fund and will be distributed to lower income countries

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a chance that spare Janssen in a few months will be used as a booster for those who got mRNA vaccines 9-10 months before and would be at the highest risk - but that will require EMA/ECDC etc approvals and recommendations

Giving the opposite type as the booster is being kite-flown at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Advertisement