Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If he recovers well from the injury and keeps out of trouble and trains well (he pretty much always trai

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

s well), let’s say he returns mid 2022 and has an impressive comeback fights vs someone like Ferguson and wins. Then if he fights Dustin 4 for the belt it will sell 2M minimum. It may well outsell his Khabib fight.

All u lot in here May hate Conor, but America still loves him. They were all cheering for him against Poirier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just so people know.........

"He's rich", "He's a huge PPV draw", "He's still very popular in America" etc are not effective answers to criticisms like "He's no longer Championship calibre" or "Threatening to kill Poirier and his wife and saying she looks like a whore is scum bag behaviour".

All of these things can be true simultaneously.

Justin Bieber, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran are all very rich, massive draws and extremely popular. It has no bearing on the fact that they're rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You sound like Conor with the ifs here......full of excuses....he has not been up to it the past 5-6 fights.....it's that simple....other than beating a washed up Cerrone...Conor's issue is that he is not a rounded enough fighter to beat the best at LW, where his power isn't as damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He's failed to evolve beyond fw and the game has passed him by. A garbage tank, glass legs, glass heart and a fragile ego don't help matters. He'll still sell but it's all downhill from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

From a purely fighting legacy perspective besides that huge solo win at 155, when he became double champ, that weight class has been a disaster for him. Hes undersized and overpowered there and should only have moved up for well matched marquee type fights.

Wheather jts Conor or his coaches doing, who knows, Conors ego is out of control, and John has come out with some really delusional comments lately, so there could be a pair of them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Has he only had that one win at 55 in the champ v champ fight?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Read a stat today:

Miesha Tate & Conor McGregor have the same number of UFC wins since 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Where is mr know it all Mellor lately has he returned since the site came back online?

discredited anyone who said McGregor was gonna be smashed in the DP 3 fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

None of the decent regular posters come near here when there is so much nonsense being posted and I wouldn’t blame them, it’s just a load of angry monkeys shouting at a tree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Besides that huge solo win? almost discounting there........it could be argued despite being undersized and over powered by the bigger men he's won as many as he's lost at the bigger weight ....hardly a disaster, and yes I know people will try discredit the wins over Diaz, Cerrone and Alvarez .....but they're hardly mugs

• Cerrone is seriously on the decline. Diaz has lost a third of his fights.

Won as many as he's lost? If he's 1 and 3 at LW how has he won as many as he's lost?

At 170 he is 2 and 1 is it? Maybe he should stick to fighting the lower calibre of fighters at that weight I guess, the likes of Diaz and Cerrone though I would be sure he doesn't actually feel are his level surely.

Also, its interesting to see the shift from being one of the greatest in the game, to being hardly a disaster with a 3-4 record outside the FW division where he had to almost kill himself to make weight each time and I guess it could be argued that he only had the wins he had there by being oversized and overpowered compared to the smaller men :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I find the new site very awkward and have only been on once since it came back. Posted in the event tread.

But I’ve no idea wtf you’re waffling about? Who did I try discredit exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭noc1980

His record overall isn't impressive against opponents he doesn't have a big size and reach advantage over and has only 2 KOs. KO and 2 losses to Poirier, KO against washed up Cowboy, Decision against Holloway, loss and decision against Diaz, loss to Khabib.

He's simply mediocre above 145 and there's no shame in that. Khabib starved himself to make 155, despite tales of him being able to handle heavyweights in sparring, he didn't stray from the division where he had a considerable edge in power.

it's just obvious to be where you have the greatest advantage (weight class) but delusion seems to have irrevocably set in

McGregor's last performance of note and one win at LW is coming up on five years ago vs Alvarez (whose record since has proven that he was not near very top-level).

Expecting him to turn it around another year down the line (after coming back from ankle) is verging on farcical especially since he's long proven himself to only want sycophants training and coaching him instead of actually challenging himself to develop and address his weaknesses.

He'd be more likely to go off the rails again.

Yes he would be able to turn in some decent PPV numbers on at least one return bout but it would be literally just making up the numbers.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I genuinely think Alvarez would beat this McGregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Mc Gregors' Dana white Privilege to a batein is not working out for him, he should get back to the small fry division and bully them again. For the love of God drop your team /coach /yes men. I'd say Dana can't stand him but loves the money he brings, yes he's a big draw but he's a huge loser now, with all that money he's still a loser. He's a total degenerate, how could anyone support him. He's a stain on this country and will be for years to come.

I have never seen a katie Taylor thread on boards, if there is one it must be very slow going, being nice and polite gets you no where so yeah love him or loathe him he draws in people like flies on shite and will easily make €20 million for whatever fight he makes next, he probably is done as a title contender but I and most other gombeens on here will watch his next fight regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Being nice and polite gets you nowhere? Katie Taylor is the undisputed lightweight champion of the world. WBO, WBC, WBA, IBF. 18 professional fights, 18 wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Ridiculous to say Alverez isn't near top level. Since that fight he's beaten Gaethje in a war, and had Poirier in all sorts of trouble until he had a brain fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

And an Olympic gold medal:) No matter how much McGregor loses or whatever laws he breaks there always be fanboys clinging on to his past very very short period of success. Its funny to see.

• Money is literally the last leg he has to stand on. Pun intended.

Make no mistake, what McGregor achieved in a short space of time was incredible. He was a perfect mix of hype, push and talent - he got the stage, he took the opportunities and he got the job done in exciting fashion every single time.

Then the wheels came off, and in truth they have never come back on. Both of these things can be true.

He has set himself up for life financially, success. He has also wasted his peak athletic years as a competitor, this will sting him in time and in truth I think it plays a big role in what causes his anger to boil over the way it does. Refusal to accept that he is no longer at the top of the mountain, nor does he have the tools to get back there again.

His trash talk now has no humour to it, its not designed to rile up a crowd particularly or to hype a fight - its to try to recapture that old McGregor, try to convince himself that he is still that man, but he isn't and the insecurity seeps out of him because of that. Its transparent now. Will he always have fans? Of course, he will always have superfans and he will always have those who just can't stand him or how he carries himself, or represents Ireland as a nation.

If he comes back, Ferguson is the fight to make - he will stand and trade with him and his chin isn't what it was. Then do the Diaz 3 fight and see how the land lies after that. Boxing matches with the likes of Pacquiao and then after the YouTube boys will be there for him too if he still wants to fight.

I’m talking about all the trash talk and circus he brings to each fight, it earns him a fortune, Dustin is a better fighter and a nice guy, only earned small money and only managed to make a fight night card recently enough until he fought mcgregor. Katie is a great entertaining fighter and has a heap of belts and only earns peanuts compared to him. I cringe at the stuff McGregor comes out with, just pointing out that his carry on and attitude are earning him truck loads of cash, I don’t think he honestly believes he’s the best anymore and Is just trying to make as much money as possible before he has to give it up, it’ll be car crash tv for him now

Being polite gets you nowhere.

GSP called, he said thanks for the insight but after careful consideration he disagrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dustin seems to have plenty of money and seems a much happier and well adjusted person.

Do people watch MMA for how much money a fighter earns? Vast bulk of McGregors wealth is from being beaten in boxing and MMA and quick flipping a rebranded whiskey company.

Advertisement