Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subnautica: Below Zero

Options
  • 21-07-2021 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Have been enjoying Below Zero since yesterday and found it hard to tear myself away...until my game crashed and I lost 2 hours of save because the same doesn't do auto saves. It was probably the universe doing me a favour as I don't think I would have gone to bed lol but it was annoying. Performance wise, it has generally been disappointing with stuttering and fame rate drops and really long load times at the start on PS5. It's a survival game so saving more regularly ruins the immersion but alas, seems I'll have to micromanage it if I'm to avoid something like that again. Has not deterred me from playing it today though. 😆

Technical issues aside, I'm enjoying it immensely like the first. It's very easy if you've played the first one but even more difficult if you didn't as it almost relies on the player having prior knowledge. I've moved through it incredibly quickly because I knew exactly what was essential to have at the start but newbies will undoubtedly be lost. The on-land stuff isn't as prevalent as it was marketed to be which I'm thankful for.

Also, I kind of love how with this one in order to work out what to do/where to go you have to listen out for what Robin (or other characters) say or use a map. You do occasionally get markers but you won't get far by following them alone so you'll have to do some exploring. For instance, I figured out how to get fur completely by accident as my intention was to *do something stupid but only when the prompt appeared I figured out this non stupid way made more sense*.

Anyone else played or planning to pick this up, and what are your thoughts if you have?

*edited for minor spoilers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I picked it up at launch, but after wasting a fair bit of time trying to figure out what to do in a certain area, I haven't gone back to it. I do dislike the on land bits, and I'm pretty sure my next story movement part is somewhere there, but I can't find it. If I go back, I'll have a lot of logs to read to try and remember where I was.

But the underwater parts are more like the original and still a great experience. It's worth the price imo, even if I haven't gone back to it in a while. It's not as vast as the last one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just built the Sea Truck and working on the depth mods so I have 3 or 4 points of interest that I can 'safely' check out now. Absolutely loving this but the snow storms and fog needs to calm down so I can enjoy this lovely world a bit more.

[quote]@Potential-Monke What area was it? Maybe I can help?[/quote]

It was shortly after doing the Pengling bit, which like you said, I didn't realise I actually needed one to do something to progress. I'm not 100%, as it's been a while since I played, but it was where the Ice Worms are, kept driving around and around and didn't find much, but feel like it's somewhere there I need to so something. Must get back to it soon...

I think the last thing I found was that, so yeah, need to make/build it and then head back out there. I don't think I'm that far from the end tbh.

Built my first base, picked a ridge near sea level right beside the platform that has a loose cable dangling beneath it sparking electricity. Anyway, not the most scenic, definitely not a patch on my location from the first game but it's a start.

Headed straight down under my base, lots of twisting tentacle things, found a little hole and for to 300m down, then swam down to 370m. I have no idea how to spoiler on the new site so i won't go into detail but found a not so friendly fella guarding fabrication and storage module parts for the sea truck. Just found enough for the fabrication, must go back down to look for the storage ones. That tool that tracks specific resources is well handy.

Anyway, just loving the exploration, finding things, building things and the odd data tablet. Almost ready to head off to some story points from the map i found. Living this, criminal that more people aren't talking about it.

• Advertisement

Ah, so that's why! I was wondering why sometimes with modules I'd get straight out and other times I'd stand up and have to go out. Noted!

Ha yeah, just playing it and wondered why i would randomly zip out of it instead of disengaging the pilot seat. Ah, couldn't find the other 2 segments of the storage module, i thought they'd all be down there but guess not. Followed the pilot signal, found goodies and the story is moving along nicely.

Found a class wreckage as well, game keeps surprising me even though i found similar in the first one.

Finished up by finding the full laser cutter and 2/3 of the ultra oxygen team (gotta love those sea monkey nests). Can't find my way down to the architects location, might go back to the wreckage first with my laser cutter, see what goodies it has for me.

Went back tonight and started heading back to my base for resources to make the laser cutter and noticed flashing green lights. Sure enough led me to architect sanctuary

. A new and very interesting story beat to follow, yay!

Edit: sorry tried to put that in spoiler, used old school tags but didn't work. Find the spoiler button but looks to have hidden everything. I miss the old site :(

And just found a tiny hole beneath my base, squeezed through and found a deep dangerous area but rewarded me with 4 sea truck storage parts, more than enough to build one. My truck is fine basically be a mobile base now.

• Advertisement

Ton of progress made tonight. Found so many cool areas but my truck could only go 300m. Loving the architect story, finding some cool tech and getting backstory. Have a new location from him

Finding a body

Installed the test module and have my next location to meet her. Took a quick look but kept freezing my ass off. I read about a cold suit, will keep an eye out.

My truck can now go 650m, has a fabricator and storage module and i can build a new one for a personal quarters.

Absolutely loving the rewarding feeling of just exploring. Very few games nail it, this and Outer Wilds can teach other devs so many things.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

Finally checked out the west of the map as i hadn't gone near it my 10 hours of play so far. Got completely lost amongst the icebergs and fog but found a small tunnel under the water. Ended up finding Phi robotics completely arse backwards by stumbling across the entrance door and finding the cold suit, spy pengling and a few lore items. Also had all parts for the snowfox. Miles away from my sea truck that i had to abandon, i decided to set up a 2nd base to construct the new items. Wandering around, i found the bridge and what looked like where you should have first come when looking for Phi so i deconstructed my hut and built a new one there as it had easy access to the water and bridge where it looks like i need to go next. Epic looting for goodies , found my Seatruck and miraculously got it back or the way i came and went around to the beacon i set at the bridge. Made the cold suit and snowfox, wish i had those sooner and checked a few pengling research locations but nothing interesting. I find a map for points of interest though so will be looking for those before repairing the bridge.

Found 1of 3 alien items and a 2nd one now on my map but 1700m from me so sounds deep. The above stuff isn't as good as the below stuff but it's a nice change and still loving it.

Is there a point of no return? I want to make sure i have everything done before finishing the story.

Think i wrapped up Sam's story, will spoiler the rest.

Found the cure and applied it, nice closure discussion with Alan. Thought there'd be more to it than she died during setting off the explosion.

Anyway, headed across the bridge and felt like i was going in circles forever. I think the alien beacon was off but eventually found the big plane and while getting bombarded from ice worms, i fell through a crack in the ground and found myself right outside the entrance, complete luck but not complaining. Ice worm actually destroyed my fox on the way back to the bridge but doubt I'll need it anymore, hopefully anyway.

Found the 3rd alien body part and they mentioned crystals. I found a deep crystal cave ages back and then there was mention of a Leviathan. I went on a suicide run as i wasn't equipped to go deep but died before i saw anything.

Couldn't remember where it was but just went exploring and find myself down there again, the small map is coming in handy or I'm a bit lucky.

Leviathan made bits of me and realised it looks i like i have to go deeper than my 650 truck allowance. Collected some Kyanite and spent ages finding nickel before heading home and making the mk3 depth module for 1000m. Think I'm all set for the end bit now. Don't know if much after that or other story beats i missed but it feels like that's all that's left and whatever comes after Alan's body (he better not try kill me!)

I didn't bother making the Prawn suit, the fact that you didn't Phantom has me more at ease. I didn't like it in the first game but it was essential for the end.

Done and platinumed. Really liked the story and the qol improvements were excellent. Robin was a great character, got me invested. The only thing i didn't do was spend time working on my base and i loved doing that in the original. I think the setting didn't help. As much as some of the biomes were cool, i didn't find any that was a nice place to setup base and invest in it, not like the shallows in the original game. Overall, i loved it and i can't wait for their next game.

I think I felt the story in BZ moved me along as I wanted to find out what happened and get closure (not in a need to rush or anything but just felt natural to keep going) where as in S1, I feel more like I need a base as I'm here for the long haul until I'm ready to dive deeper and find a way off the planet. Really like both approaches. Either way, I'm really glad I am playing on Freedom as I feel I would get annoyed hunting for food as well as parts. TPP, did you play on full survival?

Yeah, i love the fact you can build gardens, water filtration systems, etc. but there's enough for me to be collecting without looking for food as well. Would definitely tip the scales into the less enjoyable side.

I'd have no problem with the food/drink systems, but they're always basic and get in the way more than feel natural. In these games, there should be an upgrade or something to extend the length of time you get from a meal/drink. Most of them are like that, you spend more time trying to find food/drink rather than playing the game. So in this, I think Freedom is better to play for both games. You don't miss much, just blueprints to make auto-water/food creation.

I was about to reinstall Subnautica the other day for another playthrough when I read a dev had said the big patch is nearly ready. It will contain tons of fixes and qol improvements from Below Zero including pinned recipes. Also, a new update for Below Zero was released called What the Dock. Hundreds of bug fixes, unstuck button, new custom game mode where you do can do stuff like edit weather and a new sea truck dock you can attach to your base so you don't have to leave your truck and containers floating around.

I only played through BZ once but was mad to play through it again. Just picked it up in cex for 12 euro, that's me sorted for a while.

Advertisement