Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go ahead with claim

• 20-07-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi I was involved in a small RTA, the other party caused some slight damage that I was quoted 460 to fix via his insurer, I was told by a friend that when I go for new Insurance I have to disclose this to the Insurer and my quote will be higher and will be on file for 5 years.

My question is will it be worth it in the long run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You have to disclose any accident, regardless of fault or whether you claim. Unless you claim under YOUR policy, it will not affect your premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Once the claim is closed you won't be penalised. Also as it looks like liability has been admited it should be a quick resolution, weeks rather than months.

You should tell your current insurer that there was an accident, you were not at fault, and there is no action required. It just makes a record of it.

You don't have to tell any other insurers about it as it's not a claim on your insurance policy.

I was in a crash three years ago where i went into the side of a car that pulled out in front of me. Other driver went to hospital and both cars were written off. I told my insurer, but because it wasn't my fault, it never affected my premiums (which went down, actually).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Thanks guys

• Advertisement

If you are asked about previous 'accidents ', you must declare it. It's not a claim on your policy, so you will not be penalised

I asked about that specifically, and was told I don't need to mention it as it wasn't me at fault.

Please take my advice. If you are asked " have you had any accidents" the answer is Yes. If you are asked about " any claims", the answer is No

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

Your risk has increased due to the accident so you will see an increase in the future even though its not your fault. Your premium will increase but a small amount. I speak from experience BTW from someone who rear ended me and were at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dragonish

Agree. If you answer the questions with anything other than the full truth you risk invalidating your insurance cover.

• Advertisement

And how do you know your premium increase wasn't down to a general price rise by the insurer. If your bonus was affected or it stated claims loading (which it can't have been), the Ombudsman would be very interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭Rosita

Certainly explains the reason for declaration of incidents irrespective of fault. It can only be for risk-assessment reasons and that presumably will be manifested in higher premium. Otherwise it has no value. Why would an insurance company need to know?

Because it may come up as a notified incident on the Insurance Ireland database and by declaring it will warrant further clarification on the outcome. If the 3rd party was deemed liable, no loading would be imposed. If you don't declare it, despite a direct question, and an accident appears on the database, the insurer may doubt the integrity of the rest of the information provided

I dont know how to reply eggs for dinner.

I know this as the following year I entered my details into a site, one with a non fault claim, one without. The non fault claim had a higher premium.

It makes sense really, as you are a higher risk therefore higher premium. The no claims bonus was not impacted which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

How can you suddenly become a higher risk when you're not at fault of any accident or any claim. Are you assuming this or did an insurance company actually say it to you.

The facts are that the premium was higher with a non fault claim, all insurance companies work on risk. No one told me this exactly, it is the raw facts are that my premium was higher with a non fault claim.

I don't know why I have to keep justifying myself here. I am providing my actual experience. I was surprised too, but it happened. Insurance companies do not loose.

You see this is possibly where the online systems are not user friendly.

A non-fault claim is generally something like a theft, fire, malicious damage. Something you 'claim' under your own policy which is not your fault.

If another person has caused you a loss, you are seeking damages from them and they claim under their policy to pay you.

I know the everyday words used is that you are claiming against another party, but technically you are not.

Basically, what I'm saying is that when another party has caused you a loss, yes you've had an accident, but no, you've not had a claim, you've received damages from a 3rd party and they have claimed, not you.

With every class of insurance, only a policyholder can claim on a policy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭pgj2015

someone pulled out in front of me a couple of years ago. I had dash cam footage (cant recommend this enough) he had to admit fault.

I was asked about accidents lately by an insurer, I told them. they had already given me a quote. They said as it was a no fault accident, it wouldn't effect my quote.

Advertisement