Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Smurf123 wrote: »
    Hi, I need some advice.

There is an item on Italist.com that I want to purchase but that item won't ship to Ireland. It can deliver to UK so I'm thinking of using AddressPal. The item is around 450 euro so I'm wondering would I be paying any custom fees to bring it from UK to Ireland ?

They have this on their website "Every purchase includes customs duties and free express shipping worldwide, so you will not need to pay additional fees upon receipt of your imported item."

This is a terrible idea for so many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭wassie

^ This

If you ship to UK from Italy, you are effectively exporting outside of the EU to the UK, then re-importing back to EU. Given the issues users are experiencing (myself included) for items from UK worth a few Euro, there's no chance I would be risking items worth 450 quid from a country outside the UK.
    ...It is now 11th June so they have had my lousy €7 package for over 6 weeks! I mean that is ridiculous!

Similar situation to yourself - both in terms of costs and dates. No response to any of my 3 emails other than automated gob$h!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Received a customs fee notification on 28th April for a €7 item shipped from the UK and which customs valued at €15 and billed me for €8.95 VAT and fees. I appealed the valuation and sent them the required documents to prove the actual cost of the item but almost a month later, I still had not heard anything so sent them an email asking if my item could be re-evaluated. I received an email back on 26th May to say "re-evaluations are taking longer than originally anticipated. We are working through a backlog and aim to have the re-evaluation of your item complete at the soonest date".

It is now 11th June so they have had my lousy €7 package for over 6 weeks! I mean that is ridiculous!

Does anyone know of any appeals, higher body, that I can go through to get my package released?

Sounds like a right mess. I used them in December prior to all this Brexit nonsense and it was smooth. You could try emailing the CEO David McRedmond: david.mcredmond@anpost.ie and give him all the background to get him to sort it or see what the plan is to speed up this process?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Athassleabbey

Received a customs fee notification on 28th April for a €7 item shipped from the UK and which customs valued at €15 and billed me for €8.95 VAT and fees. I appealed the valuation and sent them the required documents to prove the actual cost of the item but almost a month later, I still had not heard anything so sent them an email asking if my item could be re-evaluated. I received an email back on 26th May to say "re-evaluations are taking longer than originally anticipated. We are working through a backlog and aim to have the re-evaluation of your item complete at the soonest date".

It is now 11th June so they have had my lousy €7 package for over 6 weeks! I mean that is ridiculous!

Does anyone know of any appeals, higher body, that I can go through to get my package released?

If you post it on they're Facebook page and also direct message them on Facebook they might get back to you quicker, it's an absolute joke, it really is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

They've had my item for nearly a month now and today I got TWO emails again asking for customs to be paid. I had originally got one and successfully appealed the charge. WTF is going on?

• Advertisement

VanZan wrote: »
    They've had my item for nearly a month now and today I got TWO emails again asking for customs to be paid. I had originally got one and successfully appealed the charge. WTF is going on?

Same thing here - and same time frames. Just sent another request for review of customs charges. I'm taking it they are just severely under-resourced to deal with the demand since Brexit.

The most infuriating aspect as a customer is that the 'review process' (which is not readily published) is open ended with no time frame/guides offered and no communication or updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

wassie wrote: »
    Same thing here - and same time frames. Just sent another request for review of customs charges. I'm taking it they are just severely under-resourced to deal with the demand since Brexit.

The most infuriating aspect as a customer is that the 'review process' (which is not readily published) is open ended with no time frame/guides offered and no communication or updates.

I've given up emailing them. I'm under the distinct impression that the more I ask, the more they delay the process, just because they can.

Just received a notification advising my parcel is now out for delivery. Looking at the tracking updates, seems my request for review was processed and passed by customs check last week. I would say the second emails request payment again received last week were an automated glitch in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Same here! "OUT FOR DELIVERY". Who knows what condition it will be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

My parcel finally turned up yesterday, no notification or email, it just arrived :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It looks like they just released a load of stuff in the past few days, where vat was being challenged.. The holding warehouses must have been simply bursting at the seams with all the stuff being held..

There's no way they're going to be able to manage the deluge of items under €22 that will attract VAT from July! It will be pandemonium on top of chaos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

How do you dispute a customs charge?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It's in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Not great with calculating customs myself but cant really make sense of this:

"Customs Value:€ 110.85
    VAT 12.76
    An Post Fee 3.50
    Total Customs: € 16.26"

It was a customs value I disputed. It was originally asking for € 28.98.

So I assume they fixed it but never changed the total customs value and only updated the customs charge to be paid.

From An Post email:
    From July 1st 2021, VAT and customs charges will apply when you shop online outside of the EU. We’re here to help you understand these changes and continue to invest in new technology to make online shopping easy.

What does this mean?
    VAT and customs charges already apply to AddressPal purchases from Great Britain and USA with a value greater than €22. From July 1st the VAT exemption of €22 will be removed. VAT and customs charges will now apply to all applicable items.

How will I know if I have to pay a charge?
    If Irish Revenue have applied VAT and customs charges to your AddressPal order, An Post will send you an email and text message providing a unique reference number specific to your order detailing the charges that have been applied.

How can I pay a customs charge?
    The charges can be paid simply at anpost.com/PayCustoms or at any post office using your unique reference number before we deliver your parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dan786 wrote: »
    Not great with calculating customs myself but cant really make sense of this:

"Customs Value:€ 110.85
    VAT 12.76
    An Post Fee 3.50
    Total Customs: € 16.26"

It was a customs value I disputed. It was originally asking for € 28.98.
    The 28.98 sounds right there, if your entire customs value was eligible for vat at 23%.

What was the item(s)? if it was a mixture some might not have VAT due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

Wow... really have to look at my eBay.co.uk spending going forward now that the €22 limit is gone.

Bought a T-shirt in June and paid the €6-50 to Hatfield. Now on 2 July ... email for €7 odd on Vat and €3-50 handling fee. So all in all €17 odd to get a £20 T-shirt delivered from UK.

Time to look at buying direct from the major retailers who offer free delivery over €xx. At least I could save €10 in An Post fees.

OR.... just use Amazon .Co.Uk (if they will send to Ireland). They will adjust for the UK VAt and then add the Irl VAT.... so small 1% in differance made and probably free delivery!! Another €10 saved

Addresspal is great when its works. But if you get caught in the customs trap then its a sh!tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Addresspal sent me a notification that my credit card could not be processed for an item in transit. I changed it to a debit card and notified them. In fairness they then processed the packet in about two hours and I got no customs or vat charge although the value was £28. The next day I bought something off Amazon using the same credit card.
    It makes you wonder why they are so inconsistent. If Amazon can open their fulfilment centre here it will take away a lot of business from them. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭SPDUB

It's not An Post being inconsistent it's your bank .

I got a similar message when trying to buy something but given I don't have a debit card my only option was to put in the credit card details again and this time it worked

I hadn't rang the bank and hadn't any communication from them so I have no idea what was wrong the first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

recipio wrote: »
    Addresspal sent me a notification that my credit card could not be processed for an item in transit. I changed it to a debit card and notified them. In fairness they then processed the packet in about two hours and I got no customs or vat charge although the value was £28. The next day I bought something off Amazon using the same credit card.
    It makes you wonder why they are so inconsistent. If Amazon can open their fulfilment centre here it will take away a lot of business from them. ?

Same happened me, addresspal noticed me that the card wouldn’t work (my fault for having not updating the exp) but after I updated it, addresspal processed the package the next day. I thought great, no custom charges. But three says later I got the dreaded email
    saying customs were due.

SPDUB wrote: »
    It's not An Post being inconsistent it's your bank .

I got a similar message when trying to buy something but given I don't have a debit card my only option was to put in the credit card details again and this time it worked

I hadn't rang the bank and hadn't any communication from them so I have no idea what was wrong the first time

Hard to see how the card works flawlessly for everybody except Addresspal.:pac:

Same happened me, addresspal noticed me that the card wouldn’t work (my fault for having not updating the exp) but after I updated it, addresspal processed the package the next day. I thought great, no custom charges. But three says later I got the dreaded email
    saying customs were due.

Well, Amazon applied VAT as it went to an English address. Hope I don't get a double VAT request this week ! A lot of retailers on Amazon simply refuse to send goods directly to Ireland now so we are forced to use Addresspal. Can't wait for Amazon to set up here.

• I’ve used addresspal for the first time to buy a tracksuit from America will I get updates when it arrives at addresspal in NJ and so on and so forth from America to Ireland no?

I’ve used addresspal for the first time to buy a tracksuit from America will I get updates when it arrives at addresspal in NJ and so on and so forth from America to Ireland no?

Yes, you will get an email when they have the item in NJ asking for customs and vat if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

First time using AddressPal. An expensive parcel arrived at the Hatfield site this morning, but I still haven't received a notification from AddressPal, some ten hours later. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭5star02707

ncounties wrote: »
    First time using AddressPal. An expensive parcel arrived at the Hatfield site this morning, but I still haven't received a notification from AddressPal, some ten hours later. Is this normal?

Pretty normal I had mine stuck in there for a week but that was early January so hopefully it isn't as busy this time of the year

It is so slow once it hits Ireland. Taking 4/5 days for delivery after customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Deirdre5

Hi guys receieved a text from 'Adresspal' saying 'item arrived for My Name , email APW and invoice to addresspalenquiries@airbusiness.com' and a quote number. is this a scam? never receieved this before. checked my address pal account and there's no new item in there. used Address Pal last month with no issues. I am expecting an item and they have my name and number which is weird

• Moderators Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Spocker

Are they asking you for money, or just letting you know a parcel arrived? If you have a card on file, they will debit the fees automatically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Deirdre5

no just saying an item arrived, found a similar post way back and apparently it's just because the APW is missing so they're texting everyone with my name so I just emailed on my info

Advertisement