Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Green Knight (Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton)

• 13-02-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What is this? Where did it come from? Why is it so ominous?

I mean like.. seems to be in the King Arthur universe.. I'm seeing the word Arthurian used in a few places.

Was that a giants hand?! :eek:

but anyhow..

That's like:
    - Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire, Chappi and more)
    - Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and more)
    - Joel Edgerton (Zero Dark Thirty, Bright and more)

Also Ireland's Barry Keoghan!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It’s based on the Arthurian legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, if that’s any help. This also has Ralph Ineson as the titular knight, and the director is David Lowery.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Some of this was filmed in my local town (Cahir Castle, Tipperary) and have been waiting to see what came of it.

Could be interesting with the Game of Thrones/Night King vibes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

"Honour" with no "u" and "Summer" with no capital "S". Disgusting.

This looks amazing. I'm getting a kind of "Pan's Labyrinth" vibe off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Some of this was filmed in my local town (Cahir Castle, Tipperary) and have been waiting to see what came of it.

is that the Burren in the trailer as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks gorgeous, the locations really adding that dreamlike, mythical feel. Wonder will that stretch to the plot itself. Is this a local production or just Irish locations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

This looks great, a little tv quality in parts but the tone and the cast and the fact it was filmed here has me very interested. Thankfully it's the reliable A24.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I don't do trailers as they spoil movies but Lowrey and a King Arthur story is enough said.

Been looking forward to this.

Just curious though (and I have Googled but fnd no answer) if there has been any controversy over the casting a man of Indian descent in the role of a white man? (yesI know it is all made up ;))

Or his there evidence that non-whites were living in Britain at the time this movie is set?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This kinda disappeared from the schedules for the longest time; A24 has finally given it a release date ... July 30, 2021 in cinemas. I think that's a US release, so not sure about this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Still looks quite mythic. Looking forward to it. Hopefully, the metrics of success are low for the studio 'cos notwithstanding the setting, this kind of film feels like a total throwback.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Still looks quite mythic. Looking forward to it. Hopefully, the metrics of success are low for the studio 'cos notwithstanding the setting, this kind of film feels like a total throwback.

Yeah, I'm really liking it for that reason. As someone said in the YT comments, it's refreshing to see a modern Arthurian/medieval film do something other than trying to be a LOTR knock-off.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm really liking it for that reason. As someone said in the YT comments, it's refreshing to see a modern Arthurian/medieval film do something other than trying to be a LOTR knock-off.

Or, indeed, be directed by Guy Ritchie :D This seems to be properly tapping into the inherent weirdness of the folklore

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

filmed in Tipp, though 1:18 looks like obligatory shot of Coillte forest Wicklow

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Remember seeing the production down in Wicklow back before the dark times of Coronavirus. Big fan of David Lowery. Really looking forward to this.

Really excited for this one. "Pan's Labyrinth" crossed with "Excalibur".

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it getting a cinema release?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is crappy: pulled from UK (and by extension) Irish release schedules just two weeks before release. THR reporting it could be going straight to streaming, with uncertainty about the COVID shitshow in the UK also cited as a likely factor in the sudden change. Things ain't back to normal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What's the rationale here? They're afraid people won't come to the cinema in numbers even if they are in theory open without restriction?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All speculation here, but I reckon the distributor was left with a film they didn't quite know what to do with - and any uncertainty about cinemas in the UK was a good excuse to change plans. The distributor in question (Entertainment) is an odd one at the best of times, so they'd likely find an offer from a streaming platform to take the film off their hands hard to resist.

But we'll see - could just be a temporary delay.

Ahh ffs. Was literally just talking to a friend today about going to see this when it opened.

• Advertisement

Ah shíte, that's nonsense. It looks spectacularly cinematic, do hopefully just a delay cos it looks made for the big screen. Maybe distributors are trying to maximise revenue with Sure Things , given the climate?

A little more reporting by the trades on this one suggests it was in fact a COVID-related decision, due to the UK's surging cases. Alas, Ireland caught up in the 'Freedom Day' fallout.

https://variety.com/2021/film/global/green-knight-uk-release-date-pulled-1235025640/

To make it even more irksome, the first reviews I've seen have been great. 🙄 Is there still a chance this could be picked up by somewhere like the IFI even if it doesn't get a general release?

It depends. The IFI and Light House would of course likely show it if it got a limited release as opposed to a general one, but that would still require the distributor to actually release it.

Individual cinemas wouldn't pick up a film if it doesn't have a distributor - they never showed Snowpiercer, for example, while that was stuck in distribution limbo. I'd imagine if the current distributor drops it (unlikely) it would either be picked up by someone else or sold to a streaming platform. But based on current info we just need to wait until Entertainment bothers to give it a release date one of these months.

very good atmospheric movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Streamed screening next week for one night only, US of course, though there are ways around that. 20 bucks.

Hardly the platform it deserves, but an option for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What a dumb move. Streamed for one night, pirated forever.

I've no problem pirating movies but this one I'm determined to see in the cinema.

And bizarrely, A24 have now decided that all the usual VOD platforms will have it a solitary day later. I'd be annoyed had I coughed up for their "exclusive" but time-limited screening, only to find that I could pay less to watch it at my leisure a day later.

• Advertisement

Usual as in Netflix or Amazon or we talking the likes of Mubi?

Advertisement