Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Good evening everyone,

I’m afraid Odhran is unable to post this evening, so I have a little update for you. Thank you for your feedback to date and for highlighting issues that you’ve encountered.

We are continuing to investigate and work on site speed issues and SEO, and how we can improve performance overall.

The My Forums tab is being worked on to get it working as you would expect it to and how it operated previously.

We have a variety of PRs submitted, including:

• update to mobile navigation
    • a fix for the post time being out by an hour when viewing the homepage or an individual category
    • an addition of post numbers to each post to make it easier to reference and link to individual posts
    • and a few more

Hopefully we’ll have some more good news to share with you all tomorrow.

To reiterate what Niamh said yesterday, we appreciate that it is frustrating at the moment and thank you for continuing to outline issues that you have had when using the site and for your continued patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

With all due respect Mark, you need to engage with posters in thread, not come in like a train announcer and then disappear until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I dunno, I, personally, would prefer that the “team” got to work on what needs fixing rather than answer, repeated, questions about “dark mode” or ridiculous, angry, outbursts from unhappy users.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Are admins still radio silent on this? We need answers.

The CEO and the like are not sitting down coding solutions.

Answering questions from unhappy users is exactly what they should be doing. People genuinely want to know what they think of this **** show? They want to know why they went with a raw solution, never mind a half baked one.

• Advertisement

Damn the man! Fight the power!

In other news, its a free forum that is working through technical issues, it'll get sorted. Chill out and realize that your demands are just plain silly. You are entitled to nothing here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Could anyone please tell me how this new boards is in anyway better than the old one.

Totally unenjoyable to use and navigate. Have totally lost interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Such a shame, don't find myself on boards anywhere near as much as I was before the new site. It was such a great resource for everything, now I just couldn’t be arsed with the new layout.

I'm well aware I'm entitled to nothing thanks. The owners of the site should realise that they are not entitled to content and traffic either.

We have no idea if the staff think this migration has been a success for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In other words "shut up peasants and be grateful for whatever crumbs are thrown to you".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Digital Spy’s forums use Vanilla, they too migrated from vBulletin. That’s probably the biggest one I know.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Niamh mentioned it before, but there are many comments to respond to across a few different threads. But then it would mean that we couldn't tackle some of these issues being highlighted. We are reading these threads, logging issues and examples and so on, and pitching in where we can on technical things. We can't understate that we know that people are frustrated and why, but we will continue to work to make the site and experience better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Lads cut Niamh and Mark some slack. They likely had nothing to with the clusterfcuk and are equally as frustrated. And they have the added pressure of having to deal with all the frustration and aggro. I’m sure the decisions that were made go beyond them but the frustration that amounts falls right in their lap. I don’t envy them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That was what I thought of, Digital Spy, when I saw the new boards setup.

I know less than nothing about hosting platforms and whatnot, but that is what it reminded me of alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I agree with @retro:electro. People are attacking employees and expecting them to publicly criticise their employer's decisions at work - that doesn't tend to end well.

If I went into work everyday and faced a barrage of abuse I wouldn't be happy. We all know the migration went tits up, we know that everyone is doing what they can to sort it with a small team and probably very limited resources.

It will take time and no one can be expected to be at work 24/7. Everyone has a life outside of work and is entitled to leave.

I will add though that there are technical users who could help and have provided code etc. to help other users. The only 2 I remember the names of are @[Deleted User] and @ohnonotgmail. Maybe it's time to involve them because it's a mammoth task for one developer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I rather get a concise daily update than nothing at all.

they clearly have a lot to work on. Let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

has odhran left the building?

two evenings now he's swerved an update, not very becoming of a person who claims to want the site to do well is it? instead sending a different minion out each evening to ignore everything, type a bit on nonsense about issues no-one really cares about and ignore everything else

seems like odhran has had enough

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

How could they or anyone think it was a success? The site was down for way longer than expected, it comes back in a worse state than before, traffic is way down and what there is of it is mostly ppl giving out (most of it fair) or asking how to find or do something (which you shouldn't have to on a dicussion site). It sucks big time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Now that you mention it I did see Odhran tearing down the road in an open top car with bags of money in the back while screaming see you later suckers.

Do you think they’re connected? 🤔

In fairness to the man he could have a personal issue? be off sick, off at investor meetings, literally anything.

While I do have extensive software development experience, nearly 30 years at this stage, i don't have experience in the software stack used by boards.ie. Funnily enough I do have extensive experience in platform migrations and for that the same principles apply generally.

1. Test test test. both the data and UI. By people who will be using the system for real.
    2. Maintain communications with your users. There is no problem that can't be made worse by keeping your customers in the dark.
    3. Your live migration should have no surprises. You should have done it all like for like in a test migration.

I don't see any evidence of the above being done. The failure of the migration was not a technical failure it was a process failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Drop down menus? Or did the lad fail that class in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

His "more time poster" game needs polishing.

The guy has three (part time*) staff to manage, let us be mindful of how busy he is...

(*tongue out of cheek for a moment, whatever we think of all this, the employees, not including the loftily titles "CEO" are all indeed working on reduced hours, which is somewhere none of us would like to be-maybe they are partly responsible for the decisions or direction that led us to here, and maybe not-but I for one would hold off from going at them hammer and tongs, in deference to the foregoing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I just logged into the site for the first time in a number of months, and would have to agree that the new UI is pretty unintuitive. I found it extremely difficult to find the Golf forum for example; one would presume you could type a forum name into the search bar and have it immediately come to the top of the search results.

I can't help but remember when I worked on the FX desk for a global bank, and we moved from a clunky, but well understood and performant platform, to a new interface that caused absolute uproar during the first few weeks of operation. Some of the uproar was legitimate, but much of the most vocal criticism was from older colleagues who just didn't want to deal with change, even though change was necessary under new international rules on foreign exchange trading. They wanted the era of mainframes, console text entry, and being able to pick up the phone and complain to someone working in the IT department downstairs.

We didn't ditch the platform, but feedback was taken on board, and the redevelopment of the interface was outsourced to India. I'd imagine this change is a microcosm of that - some of the moaning from the most vocal critics can be safely ignored as they will never be happy (you can't offer redundancy to stop people posting on Boards); listen to the more moderate voices that have legitimate feedback that will result in a better end-user experience, and don't be afraid of spending a few quid throwing bodies at a problem to solve a long-term goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

DigitalSpy forums would be familiar to quite a few posters here

EDIT: Posted before I saw two otherts had said same

Post edited by archfi on

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

If the staff are reading-particularly yourself Mr. Ginnitty...

It's often been said here, at least I've often thought it, that the userbase here represents a cross section of expertise, experience, and constructive suggestion that would be the envy of many an organisation.

And the site was built on volunteerism, I am unsure if you "got" that in terms of the likes of adverts.ie, but surely you recognise it full well in this instance.

So, leverage THAT. Put out a call for superusers, those with experience in coding, or even a few from the mod side who can provide suggestions around processes, such as new forum suggestions, the like/thanks function, forum management in lieu of the loss of infractions...whatever, but firstly and most importantly, in regard to weeding out the bugs and making the site usable!

Coding suggestions can be run by your developer, to take the work off his back, those who have trawled the site can make pointed and concise suggestions around improvements, and the mods can be given some clarity on how to do their own jobs.

Seagull observance of multiple threads across the site is not a targeted or efficient way to capture the collective expertise and support base provided by the users, and the key thing now is to move forward as quickly as possible, before you don't have a viable site to worry about any more.

The fire chief doesn't have the luxury of ambling home in the middle of a towering inferno, does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe he's had enough of attitudes like yours tearing a new butthole out of everything that gets said or doesn't get said. Now you're pissing and moaning that staff are keeping you in the loop "about issues no-one really cares about," and earlier today you seemingly would have pissed and moaned just to get that "bit o[f] nonsense" just to let you know what was going on, hey. You'd be furious if Mark etc. weren't chiming in here.

You don't have to be happy about the situation - I'm not - but you don't have to troll the people trying to make it better for you. That's not a mere bag you are punching, vent your angst in some better way. And that goes for a lot of people in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

See, that's the big question. While I think the site has improved a lot since the (disastrous) initial launch, and I'm getting used to it, it's not very obvious to me what the benefits of the migration were. I can understand it might be easier to maintain, and how that would make sense for the people who run the site. But from a regular user's point of view, I can't really think of anything that is better than in the old one - most things seem to work a little worse, or a lot worse. I hope whatever was bought from Vanilla wasn't very expensive.

And I'd normally be excited about change and like to try out new (tech) things.

Still wishing everyone involved all the best in getting things to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That surely doesn't explain how Bezos made his own space rocket instead of living down at the call center telling Mrs Nisbet why her pot holders weren't delivered on Tuesday. I think there are more important uses of their time than mollycoddling to kens and karens that want to speak to the manager to be told exactly what the supervisors have already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭rodders999

• Advertisement

I'm not sure who you mean by Kens and karens but the criticism of the migration has been very valid. The whole process took place in a vacuum. A process that bears no resemblance to anything considered standard practice for platform migrations. If the guy in charge is too busy doing the actual coding then that is fair enough but i get the impression that is not the case at all. So if he isn't fixing the technical problems he should be spending some time keeping users updated as to progress. At least give users the impression that progress is being made. Instead the users are kept in the dark and those who complain are told to shut up by other users. The whole situation has been a shambles.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement