Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Hmm I'm still with BG until 5th August, I didn't check with them about the smart meter that went in last week but was told you need to specifically ask for the smart tariff not be put on it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Thats half the problem, there is no clear guidance with these meters, there is conflicting advice from all parties, I have no problem with a smart meter,I just want to know the cost to me.

They were very quick to try and install my smart meter,solar install was done mid May,I received letter on Monday that installation was planned for the future and then they knocked on door this morning, no phone call or notification.

Post edited by kabakuyu on

They sent me out a letter and said to call them and book a date which I did.

I actually had to chase them down because they misplaced my nc6 form so they weren't going to come at all.

You bet I would have kept my mouth shut if I had a meter that can go into reverse but I didn't so I said meh.

Just had them back, wanted to install dumb digital meter, a cheap piece of plastic, I said no thanks.I live in older house with meter box six feet off ground, I would have to get ladder and press buttons to read my meter, at the moment I read it by just opening door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

Had my smart meter installed yesterday. Flogas my current provider had increased my rate again this time to 19c without informing me until I received bill and noticed it. Ended up going with electric Ireland smart night rate plan. Day time rates are slightly higher but nighttime will be about 8c cheaper for 9 hours. No peak rate with this plan and once install new battery power, they do 5.9c from 2-4am where will charge them and hopefully use through winter during the day time hours.

210 euro switching bonus should offset some of the costs and will look again in 12 months where hopefully rates will have levelled off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What are the night and day rates on that plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I was looking at the EI 2 year tariff because of the hefty €285 cash back and then after one year leave. There is a €50 early contract leaving fee but i will still be a head by €235 which should more than cover the low usage charge and a few free bills, I'm guessing 3 bills free.

I cant see any thing in the t/c's asking for a refund of the cashback offer if the contract is terminated early.

Any thoughts gent?

If thats the case I want my mechanical meter back, yep the one that spun backwards when I was exporting.

Ah the good old days.

Not bad, they do €315 if you do gas with them too so maybe worth investigating myself, I usually must get the cheapest unit rate out there but if they give you €315 credit.

I did see this: Low usage standing charge urban per year which adds €30 more to the standing charge which says if your average daily usage is less than 2 units per billing period so I guess if you have less than 120kwhs per 2 month bill? (60 days x 2 kws) so all of us will probably hit that during the good months

Oh and  €50 early termination fee per fuel so €100 for cancelling both

I will call them tomorrow and ask the question, what happens to the cash back if you terminate the contract early.

Will let you know.

• Advertisement

It's in their terms that if cease contract early they will debit the amout of cashback with final bill

Electricity unit price

Day: 08.00 - 23.00 ->20.27c per kWh

Night: 23.00 - 08.00 ->10.44c per kWh

Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.00 ->5.64c per kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭idc

I've seen people avoid EI because of low usage charge but realistically it will only cost 10 to 15 euro as at least 2 billing periods covering the summer will be charged and then possibly half of the two periods either side

Yep think it is 5.15 per bill if you don't use more than 2 units average a day in that particular bill

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭idc

Are the standing charges any cheaper with smart plans?

These Night boost plans look appealing if I can offset as much usage then as possible!! Summer doesn't matter so much but in winter I'd fill my battery then hope it and what little solar covers as much of the rest of the day.

standing charger are the same on this plan as electric irelands standard day/night meter

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

the Night tariffs are for people with electric cars?

When would ordinary houses use it? When I go to bed at night only the fridge and the freezer use current.

Who else would use it? Thanks

Anyone with solar whose main grid usage would be at night. My battery system is quite small at the minute so any grid usage mostly is during night hours. In winter would have heavy devices like dishwasher running at 11pm . Also if have batteries in winter can use the cheap boost night rate to charge and then discharge during daytime rate hours

Yep during last winter I boosted my 7kw battery on night rate and It proved very successful in bringing the bills to the lowest i have ever seen during the winter.

Ok change of plan I'm not going in the smart plan with electric Ireland and cancelled the switch today. Received email saying that smart meter wasn't recognised and they were putting me on standard plan with same high day rate but no night rate. Thought not having that for 12 months!

Contacted Esb networks and they said it can take about 30 days for smart meter to connect and test itself with Esb communication network so not too switch until that happened. Back on flogas high rate for now

• Advertisement

Yes I was told something similar, that it "tests" the signal for two weeks or more, and depending how strong it is it can affect which tariffs you can go on.

Add that to the pile of BS around the smart meters.

Well, the saga continues.I just had ESB back out,changed out my analogue day/night meter(manufactured 1995) for another analogue one(man.2002).ESB HQ insist old meter has no "backstop" and my meter can run backwards(it can't, I have observed it many times)they also removed old night storage meter and clock.

I said to put in smart meter to finish the whole palaver, guy rings office, office says I can't get smart meter beacause I registered for night storage and they only doing 24 hour meter customers at the moment.He said I should not have been down for smart meter yesterday.Installation guy said they having issues with roll out.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im beginning to think that smart metering Irish style is just a way to obscure what people are paying for electricity now.

Like Medical insurance and mobile phone plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

due to get the smart meter installed soon and confirmed by email with ESBN that I can stay on 24-hr rural rate. we're with Energia at the moment, 6mth to go on 12mth contract. so when the MSS comes in, how will it work vis-a vis 24hr contract billing? the CEG + CEP (30%) is a simple rebate on the bill?

(apologies if this has been asked elsewhere in the general forum!)

Post edited by jkforde on

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

Don't think it can be paid unless on smart meter plan was the impression I got off Esb networks when talking to them this week in relation to my smart meter.

Where did you get the 30% figure for ceg+cep?

cheers, so going to email them back and ask! (I'll update with their reply)

and isn't the CEP due to be capped at 30% of max. 4kWp output?

Post edited by jkforde on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The 30% thing was a proposal. Nothing has been confirmed yet and no one can answer your question yet as the FiT has not been confirmed.

yep, realise this is all supposition...

This article says that the SEG in the UK is paid even if the home owner is not signed up to a smart tarrif...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Hi there,

I'm about to change electricity provider and I wan't to go with the most environmentally friendly company. Bonkers has 100% Green Electricty bside a lot of company tariffs but I was wondering if one company is better than the others?

• Advertisement

Im thinking EI with 18.82c/kwh and €210 cashback and Flogas with 5.945c/kwh with €200 cashback for max savings BUT if (probably when) they raise them then the cashback will be useless so I'm torn between that and SSE dual fuel that has 15.36c/kwh and 4.23c/kwh

Advertisement