Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Yes

yep no problem. only frequent a few forums. honestly dont find it much different to the old forum. but then I probably never used many of the features in the old forum anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes

Ah, yes, obviously.

I've been moaning and bitching around these parts too, but boards still offers something that r/Ireland doesn't and it doesn't really have any competition in terms of Irish big tent discussion forums - like it or not I'll be back here. Reddit is grand, but it doesn't really offer meaningful discussion, looks like shyte and there's no "memory" over there - threads appear and disappear, the same subjects come up again and again: it's very repetitive.

At least with old school forums you have a sense of ongoing conversation, it's richer and deeper. Boards still has that advantage, even it falls victim to the pitfalls of all anonymous Internet forum conversation - there can be a lot of people posting who are either unwell and/or haven't a clue what they are talking about, but there's nothing new there.

Though I think the fear that the userbase will be diminished is legitimate enough. Forums are quiet and the diminished functionality will alienate a lot of people and keep them away. Maybe things can be salvaged, but, Janey Mac, it's going to be a long road back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yes

am enjoying reading the responses from people saying no, who are still here to contradict their own answers.

Maybe. But less. It's not good mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭smillingsam

Yes

Hopefully it gets back to where it was before the update, it seems quiet in some of the threads that I was following

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes.

But much less than before, until it becomes easier to navigate.

I don't get why some posters have closed their accounts in a huff (or said they would anyway) - I just visit the site fewer times each day, and stay on the site for much shorter periods. If and when the site is up and running properly, I'll be back...maybe.

I've realised how fickle it is - that a process that would in reality take maybe 4-5 clicks and 20-30 seconds (if that) to get to say, the soccer forum/group, or Current Affairs, or the Limerick forum, is something I'm not bothered to do.

Some more committed boardsies than me will be bothered to do so, but plenty more will have the same apathy I do I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yes

Will I stay yes. Mobile needs to change ASAP. Finding threads are still tricky. Did love been able to see others users posts. I also liked going into the prison forum now and again which seems gone. Not sure what the various likes abuse and the middle one for posts is for in your profile. Will liked icon guess I do.

As another poster said a AMA or answers to people may be a good way to go if possible. It's a good start but I hope improvements will happen

Yes

Reluctant yes:

Once you join, Reddit is very close minded and cliquey, inside the Irish section alone! If you're a noob there, expect to be ignored, even with a decent comment. A hierarchy is very much in place, and a class system.

I'll soldier on here in this warholean omnishambles of a platform....

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭florryfox

No

I don't post often, enjoyed reading the banter on the soccer forums but can't now unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I'll try for the moment, but it's more difficult to browse as the drop down menu has changed. Since the advent of the 'computer age' I've been constantly told that things will get simpler.... but the complete opposite is true, everything just gets more prolonged and time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes

I’d agree with this, my sentiments exactly...

i enjoy using boards, but now from a navigation point of view it’s poor and takes from the whole user experience... I really don’t use the mobile site.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes

Yes. I believe that if we are patient they will fix the problems. Hopefully soon. Some things like posting photos are are far easier than the old format

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Yes

Trying it on desktop for the first time today and its not actually that bad, its not great but its usable, mobile is such a mess still though.

Highly recommend everyone checks out this thread, if you use Chrome its about a minutes work and makes the site more similar to what we are used too

https://boards.ie/discussion/2058200272/diy-desktop-site-customisation-use-at-own-risk#latest

No

I realise they are still there, I am unable to access them to browse unfortunately since the revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

You can’t browse them like before. You have to become a member in order just to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yes

Remember Odhran. Don’t let the bastards get you down.

The Gloomster! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

No

Mobile platform needs a serious rethink, it horrible to use unfortunately, pity !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

No

Yes, but only for now. I have been on other forums that have either closed or are a shadow of their previous selves. Unless the people behind boards get the finger out and sort the mess that is the new forum, this could go the same way. It starts with fewer people posting and the regulars starting to stay away. Fewer people posting = less debate and chat = a forum that isn't really worth visiting. Once people get out of the habit of visiting and there are less contributions, the forum is fúcked, basically. The liveliest threads here at the moment seem to be the ones relating to the new forum. That's going to fall away. So what then, dear boards overlords? Stop hiding.

No

Thank you, gave it a go but still no access as rules state I need to up my post count.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No

Not fully decided, whilst I understand the need to update the site it's former layout made finding previous posts, Followed threads alot easier. I got migraine yesterday trying to follow a thread yesterday involving a live early afternoon radio talk show, constantly having to flick back and forward to view updated posts, the fun in essence has gone out of the thread, its now becoming a chore.

I raised countless issues regarding notifications prior to launch and access to sent PM"s and they we're never resolved, I appreciate use of the site free but some pretty basic assistance requests not being looked at.

So, I'm undecided but if using Boards becomes a chore, I'll reduce usage. One positive though, the new format and its difficulties regarding finding previous posts and threads also has the positive effect on not being able to see / Find some outrageous and Vile previous conspiracy theory led Threads.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

Yes

Yes, I'm a lurker, and rarely post, but I'm finding navigating around the site is unnecessarily difficult, There is lot of work needed to bring it up to a more functional state. The ability to read back through your posts and the posts of others is a fundamental function of a forum, how the new site was launched without this and other functions is amateurish IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

No

Probably not. Some forums were great for browsing to get information (this place isn’t a community despite the catchphrase) but since the upgrade they seem to be dead. They could pick up but I think the week of downtime coupled with the fact that the ‘upgrade’ was a half done sh!t show is enough for me to lose interest and will have turned a lot of other people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

No

Now ye’re walkin’

Dipping in and out of feedback but ultimately the site post update will die. Their only hope is to roll it back but they don’t realise that. Roll back or end up with a tiny fraction of traffic that was there post update. It’s their own doing tbh…..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Poll seems to be a bit pointless, the vast majority of people leaving will just go and they aren't stopping on the way out to tell people why. Its very much a self selecting poll, the people who give a **** are going to say Yes, those who would say No aren't even here any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

Yes

Yes, but the user experience has definitely worsened

• Advertisement

It's horrendous and the lack of communication is quite shocking. Search is well and truly broken. Literally can't find anything anymore. I used to search by forum but everything about Search on this site is fu*ked. V frustrating as I liked reading older threads in the Accommodation forum or searching for certain areas to see what was being said...

Advertisement