Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Congratulations on passing interview, you could take annual leave you also may be able to work up flexi, depending on department you may be allowed parental leave but some don't allow when your on probation. You may also want to look into whether you would be eligible for carers benefit/carers leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Cheeseplant

You could probably ask to take parental leave (unpaid) every fortnight or whatever suits the app. I can't remember if this is something that can be taken immediately but I'm pretty sure you can take it in your 1st (probation) year. Most, if not all Depts will be understanding of the issue. Just take the job, explain when you get there. You won't be let go because of it. Hopefully your son will be on the mend soon and it will be a temporary situation. Also bear in mind that there will still be blended working etc so you could always offer to make up some time in the evenings if you landed in a v busy area.

Hope it works out for you and your son is on the mend soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Just to note that parental leave is available once you have worked 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Unless the child is nearing 13 years old, in which case there is a special allowance to take Parental Leave, with certain rules attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Yup, on a pro rata basis - once you have 3 months continuous service by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

Someone on this thread mentioned knowing the Civil Service values. I just found them on Google. Honesty and Integrity, Impartiality, Respect for the Law, Respect for Persons, Diligence, Responsiveness, Accountability. I can't remember how the question was phrased but I said that I have the same values and when I listed one or two they asked for an example to show a time when I was honest etc. I think it helped because I got higher in that section than I expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redsettee90

Hi thanks was just wondering if examples of those from your own career to date would be ok since i don’t have any previous Civil Service work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kulka_s

Hi All! I was just wondering now, Can you be added to the interdepartmental panel if you haven't tick this box when sending the application at the very beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

Yes I think so, I don’t work in the civil service and all my examples were from my current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blondie007

Unfortunately not, sorry. I was certain I had pressed the Interdepartmental box as well as the Open when I first applied as I had 3.5 years of service at that time. When my Stage 1 results came out-I only received a score for the Open Stream. I got on to PAS & was told it the onus was on the candidate to make sure everything was ticked/correct before submitting the application & they couldn't add me to the Interdepartmental stream at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

Anyone who was placed with Department of Social Protection - how long did it take for you to be contacted with a start date and location? My friend is coming up on two weeks since PAS notified them of their Department allocation and they got a notification from DSP that they were experiencing heavy volume due to the high levels of recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EllR89

Anyone have any update on the Cavan Panel any movement with interviews there? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LISAMC38

"We like to notify you that there will be a delay in issuing the E-tray results. We expect these results to issue mid-August, with the first round of interviews taking place in September in accordance with the demand for vacancies to be filled" - Groan, I thought the wait for the results was over when I saw the email in my inbox telling me I had an update!!! 😓

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Zoejohnston08

Can anyone tell me if you should receive a separate, external link for garda vetting after you compete the initial garda e-vetting form sent from PAS? 9 weeks into clearance now and no idea whats going on 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

I got a text ( this feels like Love Island 🏝)

log onto public jobs

We like to notify you of a delay in issuing eTray results they are expecting to be released mid August with first round of interviews in September in accordance with the demands for vacancies to be filled

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pinkpetal26

can you tell me if your references had to fill out a questionnaire style reference or was it a phone call?

my employer doesn’t allow for questionnaire references to be completed by management! Worried over this if I manage to pass interview

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭yellowbear

Yeah you should get the email within a day or two. Maybe there was a typo on the email address. Contact the PAS person who you sent your Clearance forms to.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

My interview is tomorrow. Does anyone have any last minute tips? Any questions that caught you off guard? I'm fairly nervous now even though I have done a competency based interview before with PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mayoman89

Hi guys. Just wondering how long were ye waiting for interview results?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Danger3000

Hi

I have the interview coming up tomorrow and I am wondering whether I should wear a tie or not?

Anyone here who has already done it that could give me a steer? Were the interviewers wearing ties?

Is wearing a tie at home for a zoom interview an absurd thing to do?

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Sixofone

The interviewers weren't dressed very formally in my interview but I dressed as I would for a normal face to face interview, I think if nothing else it helps to set the right tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Better to look smart than look like you weren’t too arsed in my opinion.

I wore a full suit to my in person EO interview.

Wear the tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

I am in Batch 2 and had an OOM of 2xx after the Stage 2 Etray.

I have now completed my interview which I think went very well.

When I get the score for my interview, is it added to my Stage 2 OOM to give a new overall score to determine where I am in the line to get a job placement or do they only rely on the interview at this stage to score you and place you in the line to get a job placement, purely based on the interview?

Sorry, I'm not sure how the process work at this stage so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pinkpetal26

I’ve my interview today. Do you mind me asking what some of the questions were you got asked? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

They very much stuck to the competencies and the questions were quite open ended allowing for room for you to answer. They were not trying to cacth me out. I thought they were very fair.

Update on Cork Open Panel

I emailed PAS about the Cork Panel & was told they've called up to OOM 22 - Batch 1, so far for interview on the Open Stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redsettee90

I have not done a civil service interview before just wondering are you allowed have notes ? Like can I have printed notes for my competency answers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Magneto D

Hi all,

I was wondering if you have to accept the posting you are given? I have to admit I'm not happy with the posting I have been given but I don't know if I have any options to refuse.

You can only refuse if you live 45km or more from the workplace you've been offered. If you turn down a position within that distance you're off the panel. So it's a tough decision for you if you're not happy with the posting you've been offered. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Hi all, finally starting work tomorrow after a lengthy delay due to first clearance then a family wedding in the UK complicated by the quarantine situation. Just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this forum. It really was a massive help.

Pre-first day nerves are starting to kick in now but sure I'll be fine. Good luck to those having interviews.

Advertisement