Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

That makes me sad realising I am missing something epic by a few miles 🙄

Looking due south from Arklow presently

Plenty convection building

Lovely weather just south of Tuam..

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Will we see anything in Waterford? My head is splitting since I woke up. Sky here has clouds like the few posts above

Looking towards the Wicklow mountains from Arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nothing mentioned on the latest TAF for Waterford (valid to 10 pm). For the other airports, a slight chance of thunderstorms is mentioned this evening for Cork, Shannon and Knock, with showers at Kerry and Sligo.

Literally 3 mins after the other photo

Same cloud

I'm in Sardinia now and I regularly see that same picture inland in the afternoons. From zero to hero in about 10-15 minutes. Very complex combination of terrain and sea breeze fronts, but 9 out of 10 times these clouds form in the same location, like clockwork.

They're showing up bright white on the latent sat pic via met E

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder heard in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No Cb's showing up yet on the last ob's but can see Marine Layers cloud bubbling up😁 I do believe it is sparking now.

Can see the size of the cells bubbling up off the coast of Brittany.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^ so what time hitting irish shores?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

In Galway and can see the cloud building over the Bay had a look at them thought binoculars and the tops are twisting and turning

Looks like they've become super hero

Same cbs I was looking at have now sparked in West wicklow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The storm off the coast of France wont make it this far, the storms that might occur over Ireland will form over the land in the afternoon, probably peaking later in the afternoon / early evening in the areas highlighted in the posts above. The chart below might be an indication where storms would mostly break out , maybe the strongest towards Clare /Galway / Offaly /Tipp maybe Laois too will see some action but would think peaking towards the W later

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Constant rolling thunder here in S Kildare for past 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Same here, seems to be towards Moone/Timolin direction.

Heavy rain being produced from the first storm of the day.

Sparks near Kilkenny now too.

NETWEATHER

Met Eireann

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm and rain warning for Ireland

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Thunderstorms in places this afternoon and evening with lightning, hail and heavy downpours resulting in localised flooding and hazardous driving conditions.

• Counties most at risk are Wicklow, Kildare, Laois, Offaly, Tipperary, Clare, Galway, Mayo and Roscommon.
    • Valid: 13:13 Friday 23/07/2021 to 20:00 Friday 23/07/2021
    • Issued: 13:13 Friday 23/07/2021

Convection getting going, could be quite an active day , storm near Carlow /Portlaois firing away .

Reports of hailstone from tabby aspreme on the current weather thread 'Thunder, rain hailstones and lightning, here in south Kildare for the last 30 minutes, the thunder is almost continous'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Weather BOFH

View of the storm to my north, towards Athy. Constant rumbles the last 30 minutes now or so.

12Z Valentia sounding shows no CAPE for that area due to a dewpoint of only 10°C, however dewpoints further north more widely in the mid-high teens should provide >1000 J/kg of SBCAPE this afternoon.

The 12Z sounding from Camborne (SW England) shows a much more stable picture, with elevated convection at around 600 hPa (hence the Ac floccus reported by Marine Layer earlier). That cell over Kildare was formed by upslope flow over the Wicklow mountains, so expect that to be the trigger for cells in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Constant thunder in Kildare the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Clouds bubbling up near here in Athenry, sky looking thundery. Hoping for fireworks later.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just drove up the N/M11 and could see lots of towering cumulus developing to the west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This mornings GFS 6z already toying about with more heat towards the end of it's run in August. This is a hot outlier but this current heatwave also began as an outlier in the models. The GFS kept adding and dropping the heatwave up to 3 weeks prior to when it started. Even on the first day of this heatwave, it looked like a 3 to 5 day event at most and we're getting almost 10 days out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

I'm up in south Galway on business and there are lots of towering cumulus, one in particular looks close to sparking in the Gort direction. A very interesting day ahead for storms.

You should start to look east and southeast on the trip home !

Seems your new front window might get a rattle at some stage

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just back after a couple of days in Cork. Quite misty out front, over Irish Sea. Visibility only around 1km.

• Advertisement

Looks like something is firing up near Lough Derg. I'm in Tuam at the moment just about to head home to Limerick. Hopefully I see something exciting.

Advertisement