Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Greeenway -Open or Closed ??

• 21-06-2021 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭

hi - I'v booked an air bnb midway on the limerick greenway for next weekend and I'm getting mixed information as to whether it is open or closed? we plan to cycle - if parts of it is closed is there any alternative routes around the closed parts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It’s open from Rathkeale to Newcastlewest currently. Which I think is 14k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

Definitely open from Rathkeale to NCW. Fence erected at NCW to prevent people going further by bike but I saw people walking at the other side of the fence yesterday so you must be able to squeeze through. I presume it's open beyond Barna though (compact gravel track from here to Abbeyfeale)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭janedoe007

Is there any other cycle paths in the area ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

janedoe007 wrote: »
    Is there any other cycle paths in the area ?

I'm afraid not.

• Advertisement

janedoe007 wrote: »
    hi - I'v booked an air bnb midway on the limerick greenway for next weekend and I'm getting mixed information as to whether it is open or closed? we plan to cycle - if parts of it is closed is there any alternative routes around the closed parts? Thanks in advance.

It's not great (for cycling) but if ye are stuck for an afternoon's cycling ye could go to Curraghchase park, there's a few short loops you can cycle on, nothing hectic but might be grand if ye have kids. The park is lovely in itself anyhow. Surface is either a forest trail or occasionally crushed charcoal (I think?).

Wouldn't be worth it if you are looking to do a training spin with an adult group but if that's your set up the main road would be ok to cycle on in parts anyhow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Incredible amenity to have now. Waterford and Western Greenways have revitalized big areas. Hopefully it will give the locals a great avenue to cycle, walk and run like it has done up here where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Anyword on the 'urban greenway' planned for castletroy?

Or has that been COVID pushed away again?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

yop wrote: »
    Incredible amenity to have now. Waterford and Western Greenways have revitalized big areas. Hopefully it will give the locals a great avenue to cycle, walk and run like it has done up here where I am.

It will eventually link up with Listowel > Tralee > Fenit as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Treepole wrote: »
    It will eventually link up with Listowel > Tralee > Fenit as well.

Be great if they could link it with the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭phog

A bit of a Twitter thread here on the whole experience

https://twitter.com/sarsfieldsride/status/1410540454093938688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

source wrote: »
    Be great if they could link it with the city.

Thats the plan

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thats the plan

Plan or hope?

Because I think there's a hope that the old railway line from Adare to Limerick might be re-opened too and you can't use it for both a greenway and a train track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    Plan or hope?

Because I think there's a hope that the old railway line from Adare to Limerick might be re-opened too and you can't use it for both a greenway and a train track.

I'd say there's more chance of the greenway going ahead than that railway but who knows, they could do both

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'd say there's more chance of the greenway going ahead than that railway but who knows, they could do both

They can't do both, there isn't enough space to allow both along what was trackway. Even if they purchased land from neighbouring landowners they'd have to widen bridges and alter gates at road crossing so I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

phog wrote: »
    They can't do both, there isn't enough space to allow both along what was trackway. Even if they purchased land from neighbouring landowners they'd have to widen bridges and alter gates at road crossing so I can't see that happening.

A passing loop every 5k or so should do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I hope the surfacing holds up. I've been on the Rathkeale-NCW leg of it nearly every week since it opened and there is already obvious degradation through the centre of the path. I'm hoping it's normal, expected early wear but it's honestly making me a bit nervous about how it will be in a year or two if it's showing signs of wear so quickly after being laid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Paddy charging top dollar and then building things on the cheap?

Tale as old as time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

I've seen this too and it is very worrying for the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm actually kind of relieved I'm not the only one who's noticed it. Everyone is so positive about the greenway that I feel like I'm being overly negative to voice my worries. Two people I know in real life who use the greenway a lot have said they can see/feel it too. I absolutely love the greenway, I'll use it more than most people other than genuine locals. I just really hope it remains useable for me. I also use the cycle paths on the Shannon/UL and they are now in genuinely better condition after years of very heavy use than parts of the surface from Rathkeale to NCW that has only been open since April.

Advertisement