Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    Guys are we seriously starting the season with 2 unproven LH only (yes Duggan and Burke are), and hide the crisis behind "McCoy/McGrath can cover"?
    That would be insane.
    We need a loan till March..

Absolutely agree, no guarantee Buckley will be back on the pitch by March either. Going to be a bit dramatic and say our season is doomed to failure unless we sign a first team ready loosehead. I have faith that we are doing everything in our power to bring someone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

On the market is particularly one experienced international LH
    Having been released and loaned again and again not a good sign, but at least he's not afraid to move and knows brutal English way of "forwarding"

Darryl Marfo

Or Chaume from Lyon, free international agent, too, and interesting medical joker.

Or smart idea, there's somewhere a guy called Conan O'Donnell...

I've been hyping this year's u20s as a potential "golden generation" for a couple of years now and I think they showed up really well in the 6Ns.

Eoin de Buitléar (Hooker)(1 start/4 sub apps, 2 tries) - Did a decent job I thought, especially given he was probably 4th choice hooker if Lee Barron and Tom Stewart were fit. Physical in the tight exchanges both with and without the ball, but his lineout throwing is a ways off the required standard currently. Heading into his second year in the academy, will struggle for significant senior gametime for the foreseeable future as we are stacked at hooker and you'd imagine any development minutes will go to Tierney-Martin

Donnacha Byrne (Backrow)(2 starts/2 sub apps) - Nothing too flashy, good solid player who is well at home in the physical exchanges. Worked extremely hard throughout, got through plenty of work. Has played 8 in the past for the Eagles but seems like more of a 6 to me. Also heading into his second year in the academy. With only 7 senior backrows contracted for next season, the academy may have to pick up some of the slack. I'd imagine Byrne would be in pole position to cover 6 or 8.

Oisin McCormack (Backrow)(4 starts) - A good innings at openside throughout the tournament. Good skills, robust in contact, and a decent turn of pace. A nuisance at the breakdown without getting many steals. Next season will be his final one in the academy. Will likely fancy his chances at making an impact on the first team sooner rather than later, as there isn't a huge amount of depth at 7 ahead of him. He does have Ciaran Booth to contend with, who is one year older, but a year behind in the academy programme. It's hard to get a read on Booth as he hasn't been seen much since getting injured for the Irish u20s a couple of years ago.

Cathal Forde (Centre)(4 starts/1 sub app, 1 try) - Ireland's standout back throughout the tournament in my opinion. All of his starts came at centre but he did cover outhalf off the bench. Previously I had been impressed more by his skills, especially range of passing, but he played a much more direct role here. Does the simple things extremely well; carries hard, passes well, straightens the line, fights through contact. Also an intelligent and aggressive defender. Is academy year 2 next year, but I would like to see him involved with the first team this coming season. It will be interesting to see if he gets the call should Fitzgerald and Carty be unavailable, or if we go with Daly/Hansen. Hard to see where the minutes will come from at centre as we are stacked, although as a playmaking 12 he could offer something completely different that we have not had since Ronaldson.

Shane Jennings (Centre)(4 starts, 1 try) - Although three of his 4 starts came at centre, I thought he looked more at home when on the wing. As naturally talented with ball in hand as any player that will ever come through the Connacht system, he has excellent pace, agility, balance, hands, and an attacking kicking game. Unfortunately the Irish outside backs didn't get the ball in space very often throughout the tournament, but any time he did he looked absolutely electric. Defensively, he's not the finished product yet and has a habit of tackling with his arms. As he embarks upon his final year in the academy, I would love to see him get gametime on the wing to ease him into senior rugby. Didn't do Garry Ringrose any harm.

Worth pointing out that Darragh Murray pulled out before the tournament due to injury, and is another prospect to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Agree with summary above.

I thought Oisin McCormack had a really good tournament, he was a loss when he had to go off against England. Looks like a really good prospect at 7, athletic and intelligent, he made some nice breaks and always seemed to be running the right support lines. Agree on Cathal Forde, had an excellent tournament, go forward every time he carried and a very solid defender, think it was the massive Welsh no.8 he put a huge hit on at one stage that looked a fair indicator he's not far off being ready for senior game time, thought he looked much more comfortable at 12 than 10 although to be fair he only got limited minutes at 10. Jennings looked incredibly dangerous if he had any space at all but didn't get much of it at 13, it was when he moved to wing early on in the tournament that he was at his best.

I hope to f**k we are looking for a loose head, that position alone could near destroy entire season.

Big week for Bundee, hard to know what way calls will go, but I think Gatland might go with Aki and Henshaw as he knows they will bring defensive solidity and that seems to be the base Gatland operates from rather than taking a risk with someone who may offer more in attack.

• Advertisement

So assuming we recruit a LH, we have for the first and fnal time for a while, a chance to go through final phases in Europe!

Leicester and Stade Français

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Leicester put out a largely second string side in the quarter final last year and still beat us. Yes we have a chance but I wouldn't be overly confident

Unfortunately that seems a big assumption at this stage. Certainly won’t be someone of the calibre of Buckley.

• Advertisement

Someone suggested him, that's over now, very few choices left in Europe, we have to target the southern hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Relax.

I mean, starting the season with two loose heads with around 25 senior appearances between them would be disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Isn’t it,

Tight-head props:

Bealham, R-McCoy, Aungier

Loose-head props:

Burke, Duggan, McGrath

At least until Buckley returns, and then McGrath will cover both sides?

I has forgotten about McGrath to be honest but it doesn’t really change much, can’t be expecting much from him in his first full professional season of rugby.

There’s no one at Connacht right now who fits the profile of starting loose head, losing Buckley and bringing no one in (McGrath was a depth signing done already I believe) is terrible. Leaves Connacht way too short, even more so in a season with four top saffer teams joining & champions cup rugby, will be exposed quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Connachta making very fair points here about a massive issue. No need to pick on them.

Would you be relaxed if you were going into the season with Jordan Duggan and Matthew Burke as your looseheads? Duggan was decent last season and has potential but also some glaring weaknesses to his game. Burke is decent depth but nothing more, certainly he's far off European level.

• Advertisement

I think we have to and will sign someone, but most LH in Europe are now taken

I guess Friend will get a medical joker in Australia, maybe after "club" competition there.

Duggan/Burke can play 5 games till October, but the new (quality) guy has to come into the squad before Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I said relax because I think Connacht will sign someone. Now whether that player will be at Buckley's level is the question.

Alex Wootton's move came quite late in the off-season.

If by this time next month Connacht haven't signed someone, you can be concerned.

From a Munster perspective, I'd look at Connacht as an opportunity for LOC or Loughman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Could Bealham swap to Loose-head for a while?

Or,

Callum Reid or Jack McGrath from Ulster,

Josh Wycherley from Munster, (LOC or Loughman as well)

Milne or Dooley from Leinster.

Nucifora should sort it out anyway.

Loughman would be great, although I'd imagine he's happy enough at Munster. He'd back himself as the second best loosehead in the squad and Kilcoyne is 32 now. I know there's some decent young players there but I don't think they are such obvious prospects that Loughman would be seeing the writing on the wall. Liam O'Connor is imo the one who is more likely to be feeling the squeeze, and although he has less experience than I'd like, I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at him.

There's also the possibility to go looking for someone in South Africa, Currie Cup ends on the 11th of September, earlier if the concerned club is not in the final, player would have had more than pre-season, and with a decent level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Dooley would make a lot of sense.

Porter I think will be switching to LH next season with Alaalatoa (1st choice TH for the Crusaders) coming in.

So Porter, Healy and Byrne will all be ahead of him.

Experienced operator at Pro14 level and could definitely do a job in Europe. Wouldn't do his Ireland ambitions any harm to be playing 1st team rugby too.

Could be beneficial for both parties.

Good to see Bolton Fifita'a Hansen and McGrath on the 1st training pics.

Remains to be seen the 5th, the medical joker for Buckley

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Sometimes guys step up when given the opportunity. I'm comfortable with Duggan as first choice. It's probably a bit sooner than we would like but based on last season he looks like he can step up. Buckley finished the season well but for most of it he was a good bit off where we have come to expect.

I wouldn't say no to loughman or Dooley but both are fairly unlikely imo

6 props, no LH with more than 10 games. We can't go that way.

If this happens therefore, I'd still prefer Bealham switching back to LH with high quality Aungier as TH. and Duggan/McCoy on the bench

Looks "less terrible"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Sam Illo, Will Reilly, Josh O'Connor all joining connacht academy.

Advertisement