Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Can F**k Himself - AMC

• 01-07-2021 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭

This looks nicely dark, Just started in the States and is getting some good reviews.

Amazon have the rights to show it here from August.

Annie Murphy of Schitt's Creek stars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I've watched the first couple of episodes of this and it is fantastic,

It's dark and sad and funny and the switch between the sitcom scenes and real life drama/depression are fantastically done.

Ok finished the first 4 aired episodes and this is just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

Ok finished the first 4 aired episodes and this is just brilliant.

Agreed. Just finished ep 4. I'm getting a breaking bad vibe off it

Episode 5 ramps it up and there are only 3 episodes left :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's getting very mixed reactions online which I think comes from the fact that some people actually seemed to start watching expecting it to be a comedy. It's clearly meant to be a novel but dark look at what becomes increasingly obvious is an abusive marriage and the breakdown of Allison's survival mechanism. I think it's great and I'm really interested to see where it's going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sounds like it would be a chore to watch, there is dark and dark grim, feels like a show that would be more of the latter. I came across one description, King of Queens indoors and Mare of Easttown outside.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I didn't find any of it a chore to watch at all and despite it being dark, sad and tragic in places it is a joy to watch with a lot of real humour outside the sit-com scenes which are actually the real darkness of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hadn't heard Amazon had picked it up. Will wait until then to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

An interesting format but laugh track irritating

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's the point, everything about the 'sitcom' element is annoying and stupid. It's designed to grate on your nerves and make you dislike these scenes even more.

• Advertisement

I've got to say, the last few episodes of this are really showing how well done this is. I watch the sitcom now aware of what is really going on. You see scenes like the 'interrogations' of Patti and Allison despite only being seen in the sitcom as worrisome and potentially sinister. New Patti, who was over the top sitcom scary would have been terrifying in 'Allison's real world.' Despite the scenes being played for laughs, you have a really good idea of what that would look like without the sitcom filter. And it makes you question things from earlier episodes. When Allison was all dressed up did Kevin really accidentally fling chilli on her as we saw in the sitcom? Or did he throw it on her? Because having heard the story of how he torpedoed her attempt at a professional life in a dangerous and humiliating way, but everyone around them thought it was funny, makes the funny accidents he has that disrupt Allison's life or the throw away lines he makes about setting the neighbours' lawn on fire, much more sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I wonder will we see the "real life" versions of the sitcom scenes, like iguana mentioned above - like the interrogation, Kevin getting rid of the dog, Kevin calling the cops and reporting the car stolen, to make it clear just how sinister he is.

The closest real life iteration we have of Kevin so far is Patty's ex describing the phone call from him.

Also wondering will we see Neil and Kevin's dad outside the sitcom world too, Neil seems very vulnerable, given his history of seeing his parents (or his mum?) die, and easy to manipulate. It might explain more about why Patty is sticking around the group - to keep an eye on him while he's around Kevin, or at least that's how it started. When Allison called her out in Episode 4 for hanging around with the guys and laughing at their abuse of her she seemed genuinely surprised and remorseful, like she (Patty) herself got caught up in the "Everybody Loves Kevin" sitcom world.

As for his dad, would be interesting to see what he's really like - is he really 'one of the lads' as portrayed, or is he really just a sad, lonely elderly widower who's in truth ashamed of his son's antics but can't get away from it?

Man I love this show. Such a clever concept, and it really sheds a different light on the lives of aggrieved sitcom housewives like in Everybody Loves Raymond, Kings of Queens, etc.

In the latest episode, in the sitcom Kevin said, as a throwaway joke, that his dad was drunk when he was a kid. There are also a huge amounts of jokes about Kevin's excessive drinking. So I suspect that Kevin and his dad are really a pair of alcoholics constantly enabling each other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I wonder will the closing scene to the series be Kevin walking through a door and going from technicolour to monochrome? That's the season ending cliff hanger I'd like to see.

I reckon we're going to see Kevin in "real life" at some stage, but I'm just wondering how the show will be able to continue with the illusion lifted? Up to now it's been heavily hinted what Kevin is really at, and the sinister undertones of their marriage. If they were to break the illusion with Kevin I can't see how they can keep going with the sitcom view.

Unless they shift perspective?

Well that was a great season finale to a great season and that ending!

It better be renewed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah agreed, really like this show. Went into it with low expectations but it's become one of my favorites.

I like how unpredictable it is - it goes one direction and then it veers quite suddenly, but never in an implausible way.

I was worried the "sitcom" feature would be a gimmick, but I think it is used really well. In particular with the final scene of the final episode where it really adds to the impact of the scene.

The cast is great and the character of Allison, in particular, is really developed from the start of the season.

SPOILER ALERT

(Can't figure out how to add spoiler tags to this gammy site)

Brilliant finale, and loved the brief appearance of the "a very special episode" trope at the start.

Felt something weird about that scene where Patty and Allison were fighting in the sitting room, it was only at the end I copped it was the sitcom setup (sans canned laughter, but with lighter dialogue) with the "real world" filter, because it was half Allison/Patty's perspective, and half Neil's because he was listening from the other room.

This fecking show. I really hope it gets another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,751 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have only watched episode 1 and 2 so far....but it is kind of brilliant in its own weird way...Annie Murphy is outstanding

• Advertisement

Kevin Can F*** Himself' to End With Season 2 at AMC

Season 2 and final season trailer

Starts August 22nd

2 seasons seems like the perfect length for the show and the story it's trying to tell, glad it's not being dragged out.

Off to a great start with the opening two episodes of the final season.

Have seen the first episode of Season two and wow, dark storyline. Can't wait to see how the season and final season pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,793 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

thanks, I had forgotten this was restarting. Really enjoyed the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I had thought this was billed as an Amazon original, can't see second season on prime at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Yeah, what's the story here? Can't see it on Prime either. In fact, I joined Prime a couple of months ago simply to watch Season 1 and haven't bothered cancelling (yet). Gonna watch Season 1 (for a 3rd time) before watching Season 2. It's not perfect but I love this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think Amazon label the show as an Amazon Original over here when really it is more an Amazon Exclusive. It airs on AMC in the US.

I don't know why they don't differentiate between the two as it just leads to confusion for those who are aware that an "Amazon Original" show is airing elsewhere but not yet on Prime

• Advertisement

Damn episdoe 4 this is not going to end in a happy ever after ending.

Advertisement