Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

This is a very positive development I think. Trust is a nice gift to receive.

By helping another athlete out it encourages a period of reflection on training (both the student and the master's training). After all, a good educator should practice what he preaches :D

Best of luck with the next block of training :)

Yeah it should be an interesting experience! He's more seasoned runner than me, but not great at following a plan. I gave him the caveat of getting monkeys since he was paying peanuts, but he's still happy to proceed :D

Wed: 9 Miles inc 30mins 'Controlled Tempo' @5:57 ave.

I put controlled tempo in quotes as, tbh, it wasn't as controlled as I'd like it to have been. Tough day at the grindstone found me heading out probably quite a bit under-fuelled.

Nonetheless I wasn't going to make excuses and the 30 min aspect of the session made it a bit easier to frame in my mind. If I hit the suggested splits, great. If I didn't, I'd still get 30 mins of work in.

Did a couple of loops in the camp and then headed off. I think that's how I might use the loop in the future; a couple of miles on it to dial into a pace, and then head off from there.

Mile splits were 5:57, 5:59, 5:56, 5:56, 5:57 and then tacked on the extra 20 secs or so to make up 30 mins.

Not a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

You’ll surely get locked when Kildare win Leinster this year………

OOnegative wrote: »
    You’ll surely get locked when Kildare win Leinster this year………

Well I certainly did when they won it last....21 years ago :o

But yes, if that somehow comes to pass, I'll mark it accordingly :)

Mon: 10 Miles Easy: 1:18:03 @4:51/km

Headed out and got a few miles in along the canal on a gorgeous Bank Holiday Monday evening with a buddy.

Tue: 9 Miles Easy: 1:10:44 @4:49/km

School was closed so got a few easy miles in after dropping my two lads off to school. Breezy out, but decent conditions made it enjoyable.

Wed: Session: 9 Miles inc 30min controlled tempo @5:57/mile

Realising now that I posted in the log on Wednesday....

Thu: 11.6k: 58:22 @5:02/km

Late enough ramble about the bog. Was gonna knock it on the head until my buddy texted me to go for a canter...

Fri:
    AM: 8.6k: 43:18 @5:02/km
    PM: 6 Miles: 49:19 @5:06/km

Easy double.

Sat: 17 Miles Relaxed: 1:54:49 @4:12/km

With the temperature forecast to rise on Sunday I brought this forward a day as I felt decent after the previous day's easy double. '16 Miles Relaxed @6:50-55' was written on the plan. I include this caveat to assuage AMK's feelings of inadequacy/libellous words on Strava. The coach provides the descriptions and I run the sessions :) Whereas the 30 mins @5:57 on Wednesday was not very 'Controlled', these 16...sorry, 17 Miles (I miscalculated the route) were actually relaxed! It was just one of those runs where everything seemed to be in sync. Ran the reverse of one of my regular routes and it was definitely a tougher version with a couple of nasty drags that I'd usually be going the opposite direction on.
    4:15/km is ingrained in my pysche from my days chasing sub 3 and whilst I'm (hopefully) currently in the process of leaving that pace firmly in my slipstream, it still gives me a huge kick/confidence boost to bang out at LR at this sort of clip.

Sun: 10k: 50:31 @5:03/km

Squeezed this in late afternoon before I fired up the BBQ.

A good week. 113k in total.

Have asked the boss to start marathon block tomorrow. An extra week won't do me any harm. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That’s a great 17 miler. Well done.

Also like how you said the school was closed but you still dropped your kids to school to get easy miles in, don’t think my missus would be best pleased if I tried that on school break :)

What marathon you aiming for now (I can’t keep up :))

TbL

That’s a great 17 miler. Well done.

Also like how you said the school was closed but you still dropped your kids to school to get easy miles in, don’t think my missus would be best pleased if I tried that on school break :)

What marathon you aiming for now (I can’t keep up :))

TbL

I should have clarified that my school was closed, but my kid's wasn't. My wife was at work so I was kind of obliged to drop them off I suppose :)

I am aiming for Amsterdam/Manchester/Dublin in that order. All within 3 weeks of each other, entries for all three, hotels booked for both overseas trips. Amsterdam is the preference, Manchester the most likely to go ahead close to capacity, but I'd run any version of DCM they put in place either. I just need to get on a start line...any start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

healy1835 wrote: »
    I should have clarified that my school was closed, but my kid's wasn't. My wife was at work so I was kind of obliged to drop them off I suppose :)

I am aiming for Amsterdam/Manchester/Dublin in that order. All within 3 weeks of each other, entries for all three, hotels booked for both overseas trips. Amsterdam is the preference, Manchester the most likely to go ahead close to capacity, but I'd run any version of DCM they put in place either. I just need to get on a start line...any start line.

I'll see you in Amsterdam ;)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll see you in Amsterdam ;)

Please God Seán.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Please God Seán.

I think its most likely. I really can't see Dublin happening.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think its most likely. I really can't see Dublin happening.

Hopefully. I'm fairly certain that one of Manchester/Amsterdam will go ahead...but with the uncertainty of vaccine passports/pcr tests etc still lingering, it would be nice to have DCM as a back up option.

Have asked the boss to start marathon block tomorrow. An extra week won't do me any harm. :)

... 'Eh, no. You'll start it on July 5th.' came the reply. Sometimes enthusiasm needs to be curbed.

Just as well my coach knows a lot better than me about making plans. June is generally my most mental month workwise, and this week has basically been June on steroids :) A few bits came together in a glorious symphony early in the week, capped off by an Incidental inspection in one of the two schools I'm currently at the helm of. This resulted in Tue & Wed being nixed. Hust as well that my instructions were to 'enjoy running over the next couple of weeks' and to 'do nothing mental, just keep ticking over'. I complied...

Mon: 14k Easy: 1:09:48 @4:59/km

Tue & Wed: Zilch

Thu:
    AM: 9k Easy: 44:39 @4:57/km
    PM: 7 Miles Easy: 57:41 @5:05/km

Fri:
    AM: 7.2k Easy: 35:52 @4:57/km
    PM: 9.1k Easy: 42:15 @4:38/km

Sat: 28k: 2:02:02 @4:21/km

Helped out my mate who's training plan I'm looking after with his first LR of the block. 4/3/2/1 Miles off 4/3/2/1 mins recovery. Averaged 6:45 for the MP sections. He was pretty strong out there but neither of us hydrated particularly well on a very warm afternoon. I told him to knock it on the head at 25k and I ran back to the car to go back and get him. All part of the service :)

Felt really comfortable out there and this feeling was only enhanced by the fact I enjoy pacing/helping out mates.

Will have a goo at the Thoroughbred HM in the morning. It's a little like Electric Picnic in the sense that it always comes around at a really terrible time of the work year for me so I'll probably never do it, even though it's on my doorstep.

Nothing really happening atm, just ticking over until Marathon block starts July 5th :) Plate is pretty full at the moment so just getting out is a bonus. I'm definitely in a recharge-the-batteries type of mode right now before the serious stuff starts.

Sun: 8 Miles Recovery: 62:39 @4:52/km

Ambled around the camp after spectating at the HM. Perched myself at the 10 Mile mark and got a serious buzz watching an actual race! Treviso from these parts was digging deep when he passed, and fair play for toughing it out for a big PB on a warm day for it.

I need a race....

Mon: Survived the day, which was an achievement. No running.

Tue: 5.5k: 27:01 @4:53/km

Post-first vaccine ramble.

Wed: 10k Easy: 48:50 @4:53/km

Erin Healy had me up at 4am, couldn't get back to sleep. Watched final quarter of Suns - Clippers game 2 of the NBA Western Conference finals and just decided to head out for a run @5:30am. No ill affects from the jab.

Considered a double but was pretty goosed by 7pm...

Thu: 7 Miles Easy: 56:21@5:00/km

Fri: 8.3k Easy: 41:58@5:03/km

Sat: 28.2k: 2:06:39@4:30/km

Out before 6am for this one. Busy weekend on the cards, so this was really the only window I had. Helped out my mate/project on his 2nd long run of the patented 'Healy Plan' :)
    Nearly slept it out which didn't really help. Woke at 5:40, slice of bread and jam down the hatch, and out the door. Plan was 10k/10k/10k @4:40/4:30/4:20/km. Went grand and I was buzzing by the end. Didn't quite get the 30k in as we planned route from his house, but enjoyed the run after a week of doing not a lot. Pace felt very easy. Feeling better now. Have been off Strava and Boards this week as I wasn't in the head space to look at stuff when I was doing nothing. Mostly easy stuff until July....maybe a LR session next weekend.

It's a good job that someone else had the wisdom to delay the start of the marathon block...

Sun: 68 mins Easy @4:47/km

Watch died during this run, was out the door at 2:18 and back just in time to watch the Banner grab a rare Munster championship win. Also had 10 cans of Rascals Yankee IPA. A great Sunday.

Mon & Tue: Nowt. With the school amalgamation ongoing, these were the two days where we moved the boy's school into the girl's school building. Nothing more to add except that these were the two most draining days of my entire existence :( That seems a bit dramatic I know, but they really were.

Wed: My mojo/shakras/general vibes were not great. Hadn't ran in two days and as a result all fitness was pretty much lost. Sent up to bed after dinner and promptly slept for a couple of hours, after which I got in...

13.9k: 1:06:54 @4:50/km

Felt better.

Thu: 9 Miles Easy: 1:07:50 @4:40/km

Out in the midday sun for this one. Pace a little steadier for an easy run, but I've done nothing for nearly two weeks now, so the system is itching for some stimulus I think.

Mate is doing 16 Miles @6:25 on Sunday, will see how I'm feeling the next couple of days and might tag along with him. Would be a nice effort to lead into the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Or if you fancy 10 at 6.15 on Saturday morning??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Fitness is not lost in the slightest with 2 days off. And for the love of moses will you charge up your watch in advance of your runs!

Plenty of time to layer a marathon block on that base you have developed

Right, let's catch up here.

Fri 2nd July: AM: 8.5k: 42:29 @4:59/km

PM: 7.3k: 33:10 @4:31/km

Easy double. Beginning to feel human again after a hectic period.

Sat: 10k Easy: 50:28 @5:01/km

Afternoon shuffle around the bog, listening to various match commentaries. Pauric Lodge the RTÉ commentator nearly had me in the ditch with this classic.... 

'Joe Canning now, standing over the ball. When he was younger he would practice these frees over and over again with only his beloved dog (let's call the dog Rocky, I forget the actual name) Rocky for company. Joe would puck the free over the bar and the ever faithful Rocky would go and fetch it back. Little wonder Rocky went on to die of a heart attack....'

And he just left it there. No further exploration of poor Rocky's servitude and ulitmate demise :D

Sun: LR: 30.4k: 2:12:53 @4:22/km

Headed over to Shelbyville to help out a mate who had 16 Miles @6:25 planned. He's starting out on a new plan, so this seemed like a decent effort to head into my marathon block off. Didn't quite pan out as planned. He was struggling from maybe 2 miles in, HR really high. I had been encouraging him and trying to keep him going but at 4 miles he was out the back door. I finished the 5 mile loop at prescribed pace (6:25, 6:24, 6:25, 6:24, 6:22) and then told him I'd take up the pacing duties at whatever pace he felt comfortable at. 2nd loop averaged out about 7 mins miles, and he rallied a bit for the 3rd loop, coming home with about 6:49 average.

He was pretty despondent afterwards but I figured his system was just fighting something. I was pretty happy with how easy all of the above felt.

Kildare game and a few beers that afternoon, even made it out for a couple of pints of Guinness. Real stuff was to start the next week.

85 km for the week. If you told me Wednesday morning I'd get that in I wouldn't have believed you, so I was pretty happy with that. 

Manchester Marathon Week 1 of 13:

As of yesterday, I've decided to go all-in on Manchester. Less variables than Amsterdam all things considered, so it's all systems go and all appendages crossed.

The general plan for the first 4 weeks is decent mileage, mid week session, steady MLR and a LR session. Nothing crazy in there, just solid sessions, building on current strength and endurance levels (he says).

Mon: 8 Miles Recovery: 1:06:44 @5:11/km

Hungover shuffle. Last one for the foreseeable future.

Tue: 13.5k Easy: 1:06:52 @4:57/km

Solo shuffle around the bog.

Wed: Session: 8x1 Mile @5:50 off 2 mins.

Actual: 5:41, 5:43, 5:40, 5:38, 5:41, 5:40, 5:41, 5:39

Okay, these were clearly on the quick side, but in my defence I hadn't done a hard session for a while, it was the first session of the block and, im hindsight, part of me wanted to drive home the shape I figured I was in. No excuses really though. Will try not to repeat.

Total: 20.4k: 1:28:13 @4:20/km

Thu: MLR: 12 Miles: 1:19:33 @6:38/mile

Plan called for 14 miles@6:45 but a trip down to the Rock of Dunamase with my 3 kids that morning, ended up on the side of the M7 on the way home with the car's clutch a goner. Got the kid's collected, waited about an hour for AA to tow car. Truck came but couldn't take me due to Covid-19 restrictions, so had to ring the Da to collect me. FML....

Anyway, got out in the early evening and said I'd see how the run panned out. With each passing mile I was feeling better but towards the end I was feeling a little under fuelled so I capped it at 12 Miles.

Fri: 12k Recovery: 1:05:00 @5:25/km

One foot in front of the other.

Sat: 7 Miles Easy: 57:00 @5:03/km

Out early before a day out with the gang.

Sun: 20 Miles: 2:10:55 @6:32/mile

Plan was to start out at 6:45's and work my way into the run, aiming to average about 6:35 for the run. I've made the decision that at least 50%, but probably more, of my LR's ate not going to be on the Lidl Loop or the Curragh Camp loop. The camp in particular provides a bit of a false economy for a LR, and I'm actively seeking out challenging, lumpy routes like this one.

Really enjoyed the run. The route took in Donnelly's Hollow, Sunnyhill, Martinstown, Sheeshoon Stud and more on a beautiful day for it. Felt really good.

Total: 122k for the week.

I've certainly never started a block in as good a shape as I'm in atm. I feel that I can make a lot of gains and improvements over the next few weeks too. Let's do this :) 

Post edited by healy1835 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Good luck with the block. I entered Manchester myself if for whatever reason Berlin doesn't happen (or if I just need more time 😁).

Solid 20 miler there at a nice clip, you're in good nick no doubt. These runs are the bread and butter of any good block and the strength you get from them just can't be underestimated. Any targets for Manchester or just see how it goes?

P.S what's with the kms? seems like they have infected a few logs around here 😄

• Advertisement

Manchester Marathon Week 2 of 14

Mon: 14.6k Recovery: 1:15:45 @5:11/km

Few nice miles with a mate just having the chats.

Tue: 7 Miles Easy: 57:04 @5:04/km

Strava tells me this was around the Camp and the Plains. Have no real recollection of it apart from feeling a lot fresher by the end of the run, but it served it's purpose.

Wed: Session: 3x3 Miles @6:15

Took to an absolutely sweltering bog loop (or so I thought at the time, now I would describe it as merely roasting) for this one. I've banged on about the bog loop enough over the last couple of years, but as 5k loops go, it really has got everything. Apart from wider roads that is, but outside of the odd bit of farm traffic one is usually safe enough.

Anyway, found this a bit of an effort in the heat. Hit the assigned splits, but there was a bit of gurning going on by the the time the last mile came about. The prospect of 26.2miles at that pace seemed a bit of a stretch that day.

18:35, 18:38, 18:40 for the three efforts. 21.2k all in all.

Thu: Easy Double:

AM: 8.5k: 45:30 @5:21/km

Out at 5:30am for this one. Still hot.

PM: 8.3k: 41:47 @5:02/km

Still hot.

Fri: MLR: 14 Miles: 1:37:02 @4:18/km

Came up with a 7 mile loop that took in most of the bog but also saw me come back into town by the train station before coming back to start the loop again. Plan called for 6:45 pace, but with conditions the way they were it was decided 6:55 pace would suffice. Felt pretty decent on this one.

Sat: Easy Double

AM: 10k: 50:20 @5:02/km

PM: 10k: 51:00 @5:06/km

Mrs Healy 1835 was at a wedding so managed to get first one in early, and recruit Grandad Healy 1835 to come up in the evening for an hour. Sunday was a rest day as I was bringing the two lads to Croke Park for the Kildare game and was already cashing in a lot of childminding chips to get Erin Healy minded. I figured heading out for 2+ hrs on a LR in the morning wasn't really a runner :)

Sun: Rest

Mon: LR: 30k inc 25k@4:06/km

Had to collect my dad in Shelbyville that morning, so after dropping my young lady to creche, i headed for Naas and cranked this on out early doors. Nice route which took in the canal and the ring road. 

About 5 miles to the loop, heading out or the second loop, I took on a drink of water and packed a facemask into the pocket of those magic Adidas trail shorts I was waxing lyrical about a while back. I had some business I needed to take care of you see, and I was fairly sure there were toilets I could use in an Applegreen on the ring road. If not then the facemask could still some in, ahem, useful.

Applegreen panned out thank goodness, and honestly, about 20k into the run, I'd decided that this was the best I'd ever felt at that pace. Considering the heat as well, this put me in a great humour.

Alas this was as good as the week would get.

Weekly Total (7 days running anyway): 136.6k

Tue + Wed: Zilch. Nada.

Got 2nd jab on Monday afternoon. Woke up feeling okay Tuesday but went quickly downhill and was shattered by dinner time. Straight to bed at 7pm the last 2 evenings. Feeling human today so hoping to get out tonight for a run. Scrapped session & MLR obviously, but hope to get LR session in Sunday. Usual shite going on here; feeling like I've lost all fitness etc. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

A face mask🤔 for firmer skin🤷🏼‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What vaccine did you get? I didn't seem to get much of a reaction from my second Pfizer Jab. I ran 50 minutes easy yesterday after getting my jab on Wednesday. You are doing great training these days.

Edit: This new boards kinda sucks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The ever changing advise is now not to do intensive exercise 48 hrs after the vaccine. I think that is predominantly because of the slightly increased risk of myocarditis in younger folk. I had a gentle run the day of my first jab (Pfizer) but was really sleepy that evening. Probably won't risk it after the second jab though for the 48 hours.

Hey Jebuz.... As the title of the log shows, my target for Manchester is not a secret ;) My mate who looks after the plan reckons I should be in a bit better shape come October....but, after 2 years of no marathons, I don't forsee myself getting greedy tbh. That talk is for another day though.

Have always ran in kms, although more recently I've set my auto lap to miles but the pace is still in kms. I might join the big boys in the Miles club someday...

I don't know how to reply to that without (further) lowering the tone of the log :)

Hey Sean. Jab was Pfizer. Was grand after the first one but that wasn't the case this time out. Seem to be okay now, LR session Sunday might tell a tale....

Yeah the touch site isn't blowing the socks off me. How's your comeback coming along? Not logging too many runs on Strava...

Cheers for that. Makes me feel better about the little lay off! Your middle distance stuff wouls just too intense I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I had a flare up on my left Achilles, I thought it was quite bad like 2017 all over again. It seems to back under control so. I'm been conservative with my come back as I tend to rush it in the past. So I'm taking a holiday from Strava at the moment, I think when I'm confident that I'm over the hump I'll be back on it.

• Advertisement

Manchester Marathon: Week 3

Mon: LR inc 25k@4:06/km

Tue + Wed: Very, very shook.

Thu: 8 Miles Easy: 1:03:08@4:54/km

Felt human again and made it out for a late evening trot. Sweated absolute buckets on this one.

Fri: 9 Miles Easy: 1:09:32 @4:48/km

No other options for me other than a little 2k loop close to the house where I could check my two boys weren't getting up to any mischief at the end of each loop 😊

Felt a lot better on this run.

Sat: 11.6k Easy: 58:43 @5:05/km

Out early for this one as I'd been up watching an old student of mine, Jack Woolley, in the Taekwondo from Tokyo. His defeat was excruciating to watch and it really came down to those fine lines that sometimes decide elite sporting contests. A nicer and more genuine fella you would never meet, and hopefully he'll get another chance in 3 years time in Paris.

Off to the Zoo later that morning and was in the scratcher asleep by 8pm 😁

Sun: LR: 30k: 2:03:10 @4:06/km

Took to the Lidl loop for ths one and left a litre of water out. The slight doubt in the back of my mind that I might not be able to finish this one out made the loop a better option. Felt pretty good overall, but the heat made things tough. First 8 Miles were planned for 6:50 pace but came in @6:44 pace. I wasn't unduly concerned as I was feeling comfortable enough. Next 8 were planned for 6:30 and pretty much got them spot on, 6:29 average. Was feeling the conditions now and decided to cap the run at 30k rather than 20 Miles.

3 weeks in now and whilst it's been a little stop start, I'm happy enough with where things are. Hopefully will have an uneventful few weeks now and get a clear run at things. Plan is gonna be rejigged a little due to missing midweek session & MLR and having now decided on Manchester rather than Amsterdam.

In Clare for a few days break next week so will try and get out early each day and get the runs in.

100k for the week despite the missing 2 days.

Advertisement