Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Origi was out of contract after the Champions League final - we wouldn’t have made a penny if he left then. If whatever we get when we sell him is more than his wages over the last 2 years, we’re up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Love to get him but there is more talk at the moment about him heading to barca in swap deal for Griezmann to go back to AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I must have been watching a different Phillips to most or I'm less sentimental. He was solid to good, nothing more nothing less, he did a fine job. He's 5th choice and if push came to it and we're playing a big game I'd bet Klopp would prefer push Fabinho to CB 

I'd go as far as saying that Philips was genuinely heroic last season for Liverpool. We were in a really sticky situation in defence, and he didn't have the benefit of playing alongside a world class, arguably best in the world player like Van Dijk, as the others did.

Gomez, before his injury, was playing poorly in my opinion. Philips has been better than him.

I don't neccesarily think we should sell Gomez, but neither should we sell Philips.

Are Gomez or Matip significantly faster than Philips? Is their distribution much better? Are they better in the air?

Philips deserves to stay if he wants, and I dont think we would get a lot for him anyway, maybe €10M? We wouldnt get a lot less than that in January, or potentially next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Philips is what, 25? You'd have to seriously question the desire of a lad willing to hang around as 5th choice defender at that age when first team football is coming knocking ... He should jump at it and so should the club. He did a job but he's not Liverpool standard - I'd rather a younger player got minutes should it come to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Gomez was/is one of the fastest players at the club. It's his best attribute. Matip I'd only give the edge to in speed over Phillips. Both better with the ball, Matip significantly better. Phillips is better in the air than Gomez but not better than Matip.

There's a significant difference in Gomez and Matip's ability vs Phillips. I didn't think this was a question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

#LFC line up v Mainz: Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Konate, Matip, Tsimikas, Milner, Keita, Elliott, Mane, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that line up is the line up for the opening game of the season. Getting a lot of game time on the field together would be very helpful for rhythm and familiarity etc

x

TAA Konate Matip Tsimikas

Keita x Milner

Salah Ox Mane

Is Elliot going to take the 'Shaq' role in the squad, attacking mid instead of wide man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Philips isn't anywhere near the level of Gomez or Matip . Its not even close ,

You have to understand the defence Gomez was playing in was set up differently than the one Philips was playing in,

We set deeper & the fullbacks stay close to home to protect Nat , Gomez allows us to push every forward further , Remember all them games we lost at home because we couldn't be as aggressive higher up the pitch because our back line had to play slightly deeper,

Also there moment where Nat made great challenge's & headers that Gomez & Matip just make look easy because there 2 streps ahead of Nat,

Remember watching Rio Or VVD now you rarely see them make tackles because they don't need to because there 2 steps ahead,

Very few CB in the league are on Matip's level & Gomez was on his way to becoming a top class CB before his injury

Nat done himself proud but there are levels to the game,

Gomez is much much much faster than Philips. Gomez is amongst the fastest CB's around, Philips is amongst the slowest. And that's what it comes down to really - it doesn't matter that Philips wins everything in the air, because he's too slow to play the way Klopp wants to play. Matip is a much better defender than both Gomez and Philips, but is firmly 3rd because he doesn't have Gomez' pace - and that's with having much better broad reading of the game than Philips too.

I'm sure Philips would continue to be very solid in a team that is set up to take care of his weaknesses, but I doubt Klopp has much interest in continuing to play like that. With Konate brought in, and Gomez and Virg back, we'll go back to playing higher up the pitch, with the fullbacks starting positions much further forward.

To be honest, I'm sure he'll want to take advantage of the spotlight he's gotten, and will move on... it's not like he's some Liverpool born and bred lad or something. He came to help improve his footballing career, and leaving now is his best possible chance to maximise his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ben Davies not even on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Matip is one of the best CBs in the league, but, his fitness is so unreliable, he's really only available about 50% of the time. Gomez has had the benefit of playing alongside either VVD or Matip over the last few years which is invaluable, but, they also cover up alot of his weaknesses, his biggest attribute is pace and he can recover quickly, but, his reading of the game is often suspect. Philips is probably an all round better pure defender than Gomez, but, he lacks pace which means he's not really suited to our system. During our really poor run of form in January and February, Klopp pretty much ignored him, until he ran out of alternatives towards the end of February, after that, we didn't lose many matches when Philips played, despite the fact he was generally playing in a cobbled together back four. Our form started to turn when he was at CB which allowed Fabinho into midfield - That was the real value of Philips last season.

Don't think it will happen but, I'd love to see Philips get a run alongside VVD or Matip to see how he would do and see if he could adapt to our system. He is a limited player, but, he knows that himself, he has a brilliant attitude which is a great example to other players in the squad. I definitely think there's room in the squad for him, especially until we know how VVD, Gomez and Matip return from injury and how Konate settles in, but, if he really wants to go then he's earned that right too.

Harry Wilson off to Fulham being reported now so he won't be risked in this game.

That's about his level, good move for him if it comes together.

12m too, the club continue to squeeze every cent out of the buyers for the players we don't want.

Grujic - 10.5m, Awoniyi - 6.5m, Wilson - 12m

Philips likely going for at least 15m and if they can also shift Origi, Shaq, Minamino, Davies and Williams for decent money and replace them with 2 or 3 players that Klopp will play we'll be looking strong going into the season. That could be close to or above 100m in for players we don't use.

Poor effort from Ox there after Keita put him through. Went across the goal, when it seemed like there was a gaping hole right in front of him on the near post to just smash it straight into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Keita best player on the pitch, hopefully he gets a good injury free run, but sure I say this every fecking year...

Decent enough half of football, as far as preseason goes.

Naby the best player on the pitch so far. Tsimikas the other standout, after being great the other day too.

Konate really is an incredible presence. Will take him a bit of time to form relationships I'm sure, but he has the lot, and very calm on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can't watch the game but a lot of comments suggesting Keita the main man.

It's the hope that kills you! Ability is there, just the ability to get on the pitch is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Changing the whole team for the second half....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

It's not just injuries, he has to start giving more of a crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I've never bought that nonsense argument. He's had brilliant performances. He has no blame for the Real game. His first game back after an injury against a wily midfield. Klopp messed that up completely. When he's fit his pressing was the best in the league.

You'll have to give me specifics.

(Fwiw I'd get rid based on his injuries, but can't deny his best is brilliant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Time to buy in to the Keita bandwagon again!

I don't like to be down on our players, but he spent 42 minutes strolling around the pitch against Madrid. Didn't try a leg, on or off the ball. Sprinted maybe 3 times. In a Champions League Quarter Final. If that lack of energy was just down to fitness, he wouldn't have been cleared to play by the medical staff. It was attitude, mate.

His best game for us was probably his first one. And he was good at Palace last season. That's pretty much all I can think of where he delivered consistently over a whole game, never mind 2 or 3 in a row. The rest of the time, you see some flashes of skill for a couple of minutes and then he disappears out of the game for the next 15 minutes. You want specifics on poor games? Try 90% of his Liverpool appearances.

And I really don't understand where Naby great pressing myth comes from. I do not see him press effectively ever.

I desperately want him to prove me wrong and make me eat my words, but he's been here 3 years and has never delivered. I'll need more than 45 minutes of a friendly to convince me that he'll do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Keita undoubtedly has the ability, but, I think he does have an attitude problem, also seems to go missing in matches that matter. He has played well in some games most notably after the lockdown, but, there was nothing really riding on those matches as the league was already long wrapped us. He seems to be a player that plays well when there's no pressure, but, seems to disappear in big pressure games. His fitness record is really poor and another huge problem, seems happy to sit out matches with the slightest niggle, he's certainly not a player I'd build a team around or hang my hopes on. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong but his record with Liverpool so far doesn't suggest he will.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Anyone worried about lack of big signings this summer.

The other top clubs have all strengthened. We will struggle to make top 4 at this rate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just finished watching Sky Sports Retro- 95 season finale.

Redknapp scores an injury time free kick to put us 2-1 up, 30 seconds later news comes in from Upton Park that United didn't win and Kenny's Blackburn Rovers are League Champions.

26 years ago and I can still remember it well, actually had the lovely black and yellow away jersey. Kop singing ' Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' straight away reminded me of how quick witted the chants from the Kop can be.

You really cant beat it when a long season is still in the melting pot with a few minutes left. We've been on the wrong end of course but it does create never to be forgotten moments all the same.

Anyway, we really could do with a signing or two. Seems to be a few leaving, adding to the pot in which to buy with hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Who signed big ? Utd finally bought Sancho. Reckon they will be rid of Pogba to fund that. City haven’t done much if anything. Chelsea not a soul but very strong anyway. Spurs, Arsenal done nothing of note on purchases. Leicester did some nice business. We got Konate for big money and sales out will cover his cost. It’s a hangover/mini recession from last season for the PL, nobody has money and very little competition from EU clubs for the same reason. PSG are the lone anomaly in that.

Of the top 4 only United and us have strengthened? We did our one signing so far a month a go, United this week. No one else has done diddly worth mentioning.

We had none of our first team CBs for most the season and still finished 3rd, 5 points behind United. The guts of our team are all back in pre season, our rivals are a week behind in prep if anything. They should be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

If we sign a midfielder to replace Wijnaldum then we have little to worry about. Man City and Chelsea have yet to spend in this transfer window.

Man City : Scott Carson (free transfer).

Man Utd : Tom Heaton (free transfer), Jadon Sancho (£73M).

Liverpool : Ibrahima Konate (£36M)

Chelsea :

Leicester : Patson Daka (£27M), Boubakary Soumara (£18M), Ryan Bertrand (free transfer).

West Ham : Craig Dawson (£2M)

Tottenham :

Arsenal : Nuno Tavares (£7M), Albert Lokonga (£15M), Ben White (£50M)*

Leeds : Junior Firpo (£13M), Jack Harrison (£11M)

Everton : Asmir Begovic (free transfer), Andros Townsend (free transfer), Demaral Gray (£2M)

Aston Villa : Ashley Young (free transfer), Emiliano Buendia (£35M)

I don't see anything in that list of transfers that would cause us to worry.

I know it sounds a bit mad but my first thought when I heard the story about Henderson's contract negotiations and the rumor about us being interested in a West Ham player was that if Rice is Henderson's replacement in the England line-up then why couldn't he be his successor at Liverpool.

If there's interest in him from Edwards, I think that the club might move for this summer when potential rivals are distracted. Man City are focused on Grealish and Kane, Chelsea are looking at Haaland, Kane and Lukaku, Man Utd just dropped the bulk of their transfer budget on Sancho.

Reddy in her piece this morning is saying Liverpool are actively looking for a midfielder and a forward which goes with the stories over the last few weeks.

I think most transfers not just Liverpool's won't happen till closer to the close of the window

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Last season showed clearly we don’t have the depth in strength to cope with injuries.

If we hit a bad run of injuries with little new signings we will struggle once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s true but it’s also true of every other team except City who have almost 2 teams.

Last season we lost Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago and Jota. If you took the equivalent players out of any other club's squad they would also struggle, that's before you consider the fact that Klopp likes to work with a core of around 18 players. If we are unfortunate enough to lose 7 players through injury then we will struggle again, however if we aren't unfortunate and the squad of players perform to their previous level then we will be the team to beat in the league.

A replacement for Wijnaldum in midfield and another option for the forward line will make Liverpool a dangerous proposition for any team in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I vaguely remember a line coming out of the club around the time of the RedBird investment, stating that this money would help the club to spend at a normal level this summer. Nobody was ever expecting another summer window like 2018 to be fair, but £35m on a defender and relying on the sales of fringe players to make another deal happen doesn’t seem very normal at all for a club of our size. Surely there’s still more money there to be spent without having to sell the likes of Shaq, Wilson and Origi first?

Deal done for Wilson to Fulham £12m he is flying back to England now to finish the deal.

Good price for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Is Minamino going to be kept around this season?

Tsimikas has never struck me as good enough, Klopp didn't seem to have much faith in him last year and often ended coming on for the last 5 mins of games. Is he another who will only impress in preseason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

These sales need to lead to signings.

This was always going to be a window with late moves, imo, given the financial damage done by COVID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yup. It's starting to annoy me the last couple of windows.

For all Utd fans' moaning at their owners, they consistently buy a marquee signing at least every season, and have a look at their net spend over the last few seasons. I don't even have to talk about Man City.

Our owners are completely reliant on Klopp's management to keep us relevant, because they spend the bare minimum that a top club needs to spend.

And they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think he's a must to keep tbh, can't risk another repeat of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think we should be ok in central defense next season as surely we can’t have the same bad luck again? I’d be keeping Big Nat.

The area we really need to strengthen is central midfield and a striker. Milner was a great servant, but his time is up. Obviously we need to replace Wijnaldum and cover ourselves for Henderson’s inevitable 2-4 months out injured. We also need more goals from Bobby or else his time is up. If we don’t then there won’t be trophies next year.

Interesting

When Georginio Wijnaldum bade an emotional farewell to Anfield in May, he walked through a 44-strong guard of honour comprising Liverpool players, Jürgen Klopp and staff. Xherdan Shaqiri was first to embrace the Dutchman, Klopp conducted the fans’ serenading of their beloved midfielder before he was presented with a commemorative plaque of the “Champions Wall” of club trophies. “I had to fight against my tears,” Wijnaldum recalls.

Liverpool loved him, he loved them and yet he was leaving. Speaking for the first time about the reasons behind his departure, Wijnaldum talks excitedly over Zoom from Parc des Princes about his new project at Paris Saint-Germain, and their “obsession” with the Champions League, but also with frustration of how his time at Liverpool ended as he “did not feel loved”. But by whom?

The players adored him, and posted heartfelt messages to their friend. Klopp admired Wijnaldum so much he gushed that “we have built this Liverpool on his legs, lungs, brain and his huge, beautiful heart”. Staff at Anfield, Melwood and Kirkby respected a friendly, ego-free professional. Fans revered him, appreciating his selfless work for the cause.

All remember fondly Wijnaldum’s 22 goals, 15 assists and 237 appearances over five seasons. They remember joyously when he struck twice on an unforgettable night against Barcelona in the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2019.

“Every day in training and in the game I gave everything,” Wijnaldum says. “Liverpool meant so much to me.” So why did he leave? “There was some moment when I didn’t feel love and appreciated there,” he reflects. “Not by my team-mates, not the people at Melwood. I know they all loved me and I loved them. It was not from that side, more from the other side.”

The other side? Did Liverpool’s board and the owners, Fenway Sport Group, push hard enough to keep a 30-year-old, offering a long enough contract? Did PSG, beating Barcelona to the free agent, simply make Wijnaldum a three-year offer that he could not refuse? Was it FSG or PSG, or were some of Liverpool’s legion of followers on social media the reason for Wijnaldum’s sorrowful departure?

“The fans in the stadium and the fans in social media were two different things,” he continues. “In the stadium, I can say nothing bad about them. They always supported me.

On social media if we lost I was the one who got the blame — [claiming] that I wanted to leave. There was a moment when I was like, ‘Wow, if they only knew what I was doing to stay fit and play every game.’ You cannot complain because that is your job. But other players might have said, ‘I’m not fit.’ You get players in their last year who are like, ‘I’m not playing because it’s a risk.’ I did the opposite. I didn’t always play good but after the game I could look in the mirror and say, ‘I trained hard to get better.’

“There was a moment when I didn’t feel loved. In the last two seasons I had it a few times. The media didn’t help. There was a story like I didn’t accept the [Liverpool] offer because I wanted more money, and the fans made it like ‘OK, he didn’t get the offer so he doesn’t try his best to win games.’ Everything looked like it was against me. Some moments it was like, ‘Wow, me again?’

“My team-mates never had the feeling that I let them down or was taking the piss. For the manager, I was someone he was really sure he could trust. It also helped because I could play in different positions and do it well in different positions. I’d give everything.

“I got so much love not only from the fans but the manager and the players, the people who worked at the club. Players came to me saying, ‘This is your last training session, this is your last week at the club.’ It was really difficult and also emotional. A lot of time I had to fight against my tears. The love everyone showed [during and after that final game, against Crystal Palace] was beautiful.”

On June 7, before he captained Holland at the European Championship, Wijnaldum signed for PSG. “They showed me love and how much they wanted me to join this club,” he explains. “That’s the thing you want as a player. That’s really important and how much effort people put in first to sign you and help you settle in real quick.”

He smiles at the mention that PSG are “obsessed” with winning the Champions League. “Well, I have to say that I’m also obsessed to win the Champions League because I’ve seen how great it is and how beautiful, but now even more,” Wijnaldum replies.

“There is an obsession here to win all titles and be the best team in the world. I had the same at Liverpool. The Champions League, they wanted to win but the league was a must.”

He gives insight into his driven nature, relating his anger at starting on the bench against Barcelona. “When I came on [at half-time], [Klopp’s assistant] Pep Lijnders told me, ‘When we build up, you have to come as a back three.’ In my head, I was like, ‘No, no, no, I’m not going to do that. I just try to be up front, trying to score goals.’ I was so angry that I wanted to do my own thing and in the end it helped.”

In the final, Liverpool beat the Tottenham Hotspur of Mauricio Pochettino, now PSG head coach. “What makes him so good?” Wijnaldum considers. “The way he lets his team play at Tottenham and also here at PSG, with attacking football, he wants to press high. He wants to do all things that fans love to see. What impressed me the most about Pochettino is the way he works with players, the way he wants to improve the player. I’m really excited to work with him.”

No surprise, if you read the comments on twitter below any LFC post it's the cesspit you'd imagine

Shame that Gini didn't seem to realise that those voices aren't representative of the wider fanbase

I still don't think that's why he left though, the club let it happen because of the age profile of the squad, he just happened to be the first high profile casualty

He was all for joining Barca on a free on there original money and then when they said he would have to take only 50% of the first offer he up sticks and took PSG offer.

All about the money now for Gini and I can't blame him for that. However he and no player will ever say publicly that they are moving just for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I think Gini is a magnificent player and a likeable personality, but i think it's ill-advised on his behalf to pay ANY attention to social media comments. There's idiots, rival fans and bots masquerading as real supporters in the comments. As a previous poster said it's 'a cesspit' that's not representative of real fans. It's a shame Gini felt that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement