Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

I just drove down the M18 from Galway. That was an experience 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Don't think I ever saw Galway so dark constant booming thumder and lightning over the Bay, the one day I could not sit on the prom and watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shows over here, best thunder experience for me in many years, will remember that for a long time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭baldshin

Ridiculous thunder and lightening at Tracht beach, Kinvara about an hour ago. Came out of nowhere. We had to leave once there was a strike beside us, could feel it hit it was that close.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a belter of a t-storm in east clare with a downpour😮 to match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Does Thundersnow beat regular Thunder and Lightning in weather poker?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few strikes near the Limerick /Kerry border now too. Well that blew up !

storm firing away near Thurles atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jealous of those getting the intense Thunderstorms, why be so selfish in keeping them to yourselves:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Close but no cigar for us

only a few drops of rain as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunder now in Castlebar, brought some strong gusts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

That was unreal! Wow. What a treat we've had with the weather this week. The temp dropped to 17 degrees during that storm. Temp starting to climb again slowly. Wonder if that storm over Birr or Thurles will make it across?

Impressive hail just north of Durrow at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭monty_python

Sorry if it's been asked already but what's the chance of this hitting dublin later tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thunder and power just gone here in Achill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Intense line moving across S Limerick heading towards N Kerry, Loop head direction, some cells firing up in N Kerry.

Big Temperature drop in the W , about 9C drop down from 28C in Shannon

Possible tornado outside Thurles around 1hr ago, Twomileborris side! 😲😲😲

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

That's a beast of a cell that's just fired up off the NW tip of France.

• Advertisement

Also, interesting tight circulation in the North Sea this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Your username makes me think there might be a Python character who asks that question (to which the answer will always be the same - "None") 😌

For some reason, I like to torment myself by having lightningmaps.org open in the background with the sound on...somewhere in the back of my deluded mind I think that when I click back to the graphics I'll see that the hits are approaching Dublin 😬

Sat animation seems to be showing the latest Irish cells losing their juice. Can see orphan anvils occurring (i.e. the updrafts are disappearing just leaving the anvil behind)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Looks like that action earlier was an MCS. Satellite shows organised supercells.

Certainly similar. At the least a very well organised multi-cell. Clouds tops are warming on the sat image animation now, so it appears to have lost it's energy. Probably due to rapid cooling at the surface according to reports of temps dropping to the teens.

After getting dark here near Tralee, some rain now with big drops, wind picked up in the last 20 mins, multi directional and cooling down to 22.7C now , was 26C a short time ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Those possible thunderstorms this evening on the South Coast, will they come in off the sea or from inland?

Still a lot of CAPE potential tonight, looks like rain approaching the coast with the aid of convergence might produce a few sparks, probably low risk, might not amount to much.

Can hear distant thunder here, think it is from the storm off Kerry Hd

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah I'm dissapointed at how close I was today yet saw very little. Was in Ennis earlier and saw some flashes and heard loud thunder, but no cigar, back in West Clare for the showers that passed over and missed the majority of it, just heard a few rumbles and seen a few flashes again.

The temperature difference was crazy, dropped about 8°c in 20 minutes. High of 30.6°c (5:05pm) in West Clare today, currently 19.5°c, over 11°c in a little over 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

i got some lovely vids of sheet lightning missed 3 or 4 forks by seconds. best day at the beach ever!

Advertisement