Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what charge this was during Irish War of Independence?

Options
  • 19-07-2021 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

I have an internment record from 1920 during the Irish War of Independence, and the nature of charge is listed as 22(A). The sentence was six months it seems. Anyone have any idea what this charge means? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Looks like a reference to a section of an Act - the 22a is shorthand for the actual offence/charge. Internment was introduced shortly after Bloody Sunday 1920 - Bere Ireland, Ballykinlar were the first two I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Yes it's related to an internment, I'm just wondering what the specific charge was. He was a member of the IRA during the war of independence and civil war.

Two Acts were generally used for internment, DORA (Defense of the Realm Act) and the Criminal Law and Procedure (Ireland) Act 1887. North and south of the border were different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The border did not exist until the end of the ware, that is until 1921.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

There's a book- Prisoners of War: Ballykinlar, an Irish Internment Camp. Gives plenty of info on the camp and inmates.

(There's even a picture of my grandfather 😀, a very minor player in the war)

• Advertisement

Home Rule was established for six counties of Ulster ('Northern Ireland') by the Government of Ireland Act (1920) which became active in early '21. The Truce was in July '21. But I agree, the laws were for all ireland in 1920

Advertisement