Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Have you seen the movie? Or are you just saying the show was good?

Yes the original Japanese was Gatchaman (plus something about science ninjas).
    I know the version we got different and was told the original was quite violent and adult but I’m not sure about that - I think it was just considered too complicated for kids.

I would like to see the live action action movie (and plenty of other Japanese, Korean, Chinese stuff) but the only option I know of is blu-ray and I simply haven’t had the space for disks.

no, I was just talking about the original

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Battle of The Planets was flipping awesome.

Now I need to track that down.

Wasn’t there a live action Japanese movie a few years ago?

Transmute.
    Loved that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When was that? Are they to go with this show or was it years ago?

I only ever had the He-Man and Skeletor and was always wanting Battle Cat and the purple panther to go with them.

Yesterday!!! Pretty much the same one I had.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/masters-of-the-universe-origins/masters-of-the-universe-origins-battle-cat-action-figure/p/189844

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/masters-of-the-universe-origins/master-of-the-universe-panthor-savage-cat/p/193853

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Transmute.
    Loved that

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ted1 wrote: »

Ha! I remember seeing that above my folk's cupboard after I asked Santa for it... that's the moment I realised who Santa really was.

this was 2 years ago btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

ted1 wrote: »

I realised after posting that I could just check the site to see if it was recent :p

The cats and figures have arm and leg joints. I don’t like that - prefer the original. Plus this new Battle Cat is put together so the joint goes right through the face and head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Series.

Kevin Smith is the show runner and it is a continuation apparently from the original cartoon.

Netflix also have a second He-Man series in the works. Anime and for adults.

Is there any site that streams the original? And the 2002 reboot?

about 5 years ago I downloaded the entire thing (and Ulysses) for my kids off piratebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

What is the song?

Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For a Hero".

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Relikk wrote: »
    Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For a Hero".

And now all I can think about is Shrek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

silverharp wrote: »
    is that the one that has space ship that looks like an old sailing ship? if so just answered a "name that show" where I only had the slightest of memories but remember it as a great Sat morning show back in the day

Yup.. the "Skull" (I have watched this series again recently - the music was great!)

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yup.. the "Skull" (I have watched this series again recently - the music was great!)

my only memory was insect like characters, the sailing ship and it wasnt animation. thought it was a bit thin for the name the show thread :pac: , I think I only saw it the once through so wasnt like other similar ones that were always on repeat. Will watch the first few episodes to see how it goes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just wait until he has New Adventures and wears his hair in a ponytail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

bookworms wrote: »
    And now all I can think about is Shrek

Shrek and He-Man are basically the same. Heroes, charming, brave and the genuine depiction of true masculinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mattel doesn't own both? That's odd.

I think they do, but don't Netflix and Dreamworks have a current series? Something similar to Sony and Marvel - Marvel own the character, Spider-Man, but not the rights to use it without Sonys permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Niska

Amazon have a Masters of the universe page

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Masters+of+the+Universe/page/8AD3A04D-71A6-4C8F-A1F5-04B78B855594

the origin are the original figures, and there's a new range (new models) for the new Revelation shows.
    Compare and contrast:
    61aZLGoz8jL._AC_SL1376_.jpg

71f5bYWZQ5S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Part 1 drops July 23th.

looks like they are going down the drama route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just watched the first 5 episodes.

Smith lied through his teeth, all the rumours were true.

Teela is the main character, and she is a butch angry lesbian.

He-Man is barely in it and is portrayed as a clown and there are no male lead characters, its all female, which is baffling considering He-Man was a boys toy/show.

It should have been called She-Man.

It could have been excellent as the animation is excellent, the voice work is good and Bear Mc Creary does a typical great job with the soundtrack but instead they sacrificed it on the altar of woke.

Its watchable but could have been so much better.

I liked it and will keep watching when it comes back.

I'm not saying it because it's a female led show, but there were times where it felt like the She-Ra Netflix series.

I know Mark Hamill's doing a different voice but I could only really hear Joker in Skeletor's voice

• Advertisement

Yeah, I watched the companion show where Kevin Smith interviews the actors and he and Mark talk about how he came up with the voice and I was just thinking "He just did the voice he usually does"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its kinda starts at 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've only watched the first two and I understand how the reviews are so mixed. On the one hand, from what I'm seeing so far I don't think the story itself is super 'woke.' Yes the main characters are all female and Teela is certainly coded as in a relationship with her companion. But that in and of itself doesn't make it woke. The She-ra series was painfully woke. It was just constantly, constantly making point after point in a way that broke the storytelling. It wasn't a story of mainly women fighting a resistance against an oppressive regime. It was a vehicle for imposing the author's morality. A morality I don't even disagree with but it just felt like being lectured in cartoon form with the story as secondary to that. It was boring, preaching to the converted at the expense of examining the universe of She-Ra and really developing the characters within it. The episodes I've seen of MotU aren't that. It feels like a story first and foremost. If this was an original creation where the characters were mainly women, some of whom were in a relationship with each other. I don't think it would feel woke to most people.

BUT, this isn't an original creation. It's He-Man. I know it's titled Masters of the Universe but we all associate that with He-Man. Most of the audience came for He-Man. To have him so sidelined must feel like a blow to those who were watching this to feel a bit of their childhood thrill. It's not wrong to feel let down to find themselves watching the Teela show. Even if this was an X-Men style 20+ episode series and this was an arc in the middle of that series, it could really work well. Establish the universe with He-Man and Skeletor as it's central characters and then take them away for a portion of that to see how those around them grow or shrink in their absence. But to start the show with the first new episodes in 36 years, the first episodes ever to be truly written with real depth. (No offence to the 80s series but they were mostly formulaic and the characters quite 2 dimensional). And to immediately take away the central two characters for what I suspect will be all the episodes of part 1 at a minimum. Is going to feel like a blow. To then focus almost exclusively on the female characters in what had very much been a male dominated show, it is going to feel like a deliberately woke move. And you can't even say that by focussing on Teela they are redressing a balance, because that balance was redressed in 1985 when Adam was given a twin sister who got her own female dominated show.

Although selfishly, as I truly hated the new She-Ra, I am enjoying finally getting a bit of female dominated storytelling in this universe. As a kid I actually felt extra bad for Teela when She-Ra was out. She had to hang about to either get kidnapped or fight Evil-Lyn in a universe where women were much more purposeful on the neighbouring planet. She-Ra just made Teela feel extra redundant. So I'm liking her getting to be actually useful for a change. But at the same time, I really do sympathise with He-Man fans and don't think Smith should have done this in this way.

The 2002 series was good, from what I remember.

I guess a way to look at this series is (full Part 1 spoilers)

The men are heroes while the women are just selfish. How many male characters sacrificed themselves and/or their place in paradise for the greater good? While Teela just cries about being lied to. And both her and Lyn are hung up on men

😊

Teela is a complete brat.

An arrogant obnoxious moron.

Her reaction at the end of episode one is just baffling.

The score by the brilliant Bear Mc Creary is the best thing about the show

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

Yeah after what happened, Teela makes it about her ignoring the king and queen losing their son and the kingdom losing its champion.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I must of had my brain turned off as I didn't see anything particularly queer baiting in Teela's relationship with her friend. Her friend even says "Good Luck T" in a teasing manner or something to that effect when she goes off with Adam.

I liked the 5 episodes anyway other than being a bit iffy on the decision at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Whats the story with shows getting terrible audience scores, but really really good reviews - this is not the 1st time it's happened either , are people (reviewers) afraid to be honest ?

Advertisement